August 13th, 2008

McCain: Georgia conflict won't 're-ignite the Cold War'

McCain said the United States should stand 'courageously' with Georgia.
McCain said the United States should stand 'courageously' with Georgia.

BIRMINGHAM, Michigan (CNN) – John McCain came out in support of President Bush’s decision Wednesday to dispatch U.S. aircraft with humanitarian aid to Georgia and to send Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice there to demonstrate America’s “unwavering support” for the country.

And despite some recent tough talk towards Russia that has drawn criticism from Barack Obama's campaign, McCain also said he did not think the Russia-Georgia conflict would “re-ignite the Cold War."

"I don't think it means we're going to reignite the Cold War, and I don't think that we're going to have kind of situation," he said at a fundraiser in Michigan, “but I do believe that we need to stand as courageously as we can on behalf of this little country.”

Bush said in a Rose Garden statement that Russia must halt all military operations in Georgia and withdraw troops from the country, while allowing international aid into the region.

McCain said he “strongly” supports Bush’s position.

During the fundraiser, McCain continued his expressions of solidarity with Georgia, at one point citing reports of possible human rights violations by the Russian military.

“I hope they are not true,” McCain said. I'm afraid that some of them are, but we'll find out in the upcoming hours and days."

The presumptive GOP nominee repeated his recent assertion that Moscow’s aggression indicates the country wants to create a modern-day version of the Russian empire.

“I also believe that we have to understand, in the larger context of what this is all about, and it's all got to do with the centuries old ambitions of the Russians to establish the Russian empire,” he said.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Lorna, NY

What an IDIOT! And to think that this man has people who would vote for him. Oh, wait, there are a lot of IDIOTS in the USA. They elected Bush twice! Have they learned anything?

August 13, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  2. A NATION OF WHINERS for OBAMA

MCMORON RUSHING TO THE AID OF

EVERYONE BUT THE AMERICAN PEOPLE,

AND WITH OUR TAX DOLLARS. HIS FOREIGN

POLICY CONSISTS OF GIVING OUR MONEY AWAY,

GETTING OUR CHILDREN KILLED & RUINING OUR ECONOMY.

August 13, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  3. Raymond Duke

Peter you or your moderator are such a coward not to post my bloggs. As a twenty year veteran from vietnam to the first persian gulf war I am a shame that people like you or her?him could not be drafted and learn why we fight wars and one reason is the freedom of speech or to express those thoughts no matter how much we might disagree with them. Such a coward . Could it be because I don't agree with your love for Obama. You should be fired.

August 13, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  4. Marie Ontario

Georgia started the current situation between themselves and Russia.

Both Bush and McCain initially made statements condeming Russia for invading a soveriegn nation. This was just them putting their mouths in gear a day before they engaged their brains.

What I mean about this is the rest of world just laughed at their statements as being the pot calling the kettle black. Now at least neither of them mentions anything about a country invading another country as they finally figured out what they were saying was so ridiculous.

The problem the U.S. has with these two characters is neither of them has any respect world wide and no one listens to people they don't respect and that is a fact.

McCain's camp got bent all out shape because so many people around the world came out to listen to him. WHY? Because he has some respect. If this doesn't tell Americans something then I guess you'll end up getting what you deserve.

August 13, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  5. Broad Street Buddy

These guys have no clue what they are doing!! Its not going to re-ignite the cold war. It is going to start a direct HOT war that had been avoided by leaders of both countries for fear of mutual destruction. But these NeoCon Idiots dont realize that if you go to war directly with Russia, it is a loss for the US because our army is stuck in two other countries and cannot possible regroup for this effort. With Russia more heavily invested in Georgia, the US has neither the resources nor the will to follow through with this.

August 13, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  6. Da Sponge

GOP Supporter, since when is being a lousy pilot, POW, and Admiral's son make you a 'war hero'. McCain cheated on his first wife, almost got booted out of the academy except for his Admiral father saving him, and he was a crook as part of the Keating 5. He has ZERO experience COMMANDING or leading.

He cheated on his wife and married a rich cheerleader and his new father-in-law got him into politics.....similar to Bush....

August 13, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  7. ProudDemocrat

His adviser scheunamann make killing money from Georgia. Mccain needs to be investigated he is hiding something, talking about Georgia day in and day out there must be something for him and his lobbiest.

August 13, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  8. Xavier, Saint Louis, Missouri

Now McStooge is trying to take his foot out of his mouth, which he put in his mouth yesterday, "WE ARE ALL GEORGIAN TODAY" and "RUSSIA WANTS TO REBUILT THE RUSSIAN EMPIRE." He sounds like his stooge buddy Bush.

It’s time for CHANGE WE CAN BELIEVE IN America.

Obamanation ‘08

August 13, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  9. Dianne

McCain butt out. We don't need your 'rabble rousing' in the midst of this crisis. Dangerous talk, my friend.

I get very concerned when you start talking about an 'empire'. Your lack of diplomacy is astounding. What are you going to do? Kick them out of the G-8? Is that really America's decision? There are 7 other members of the the G-8, my friend.

Also, your reference to 'civilized' yesterday has me concerned as well.
    Is it 'civilized' to 'waterboard enemy combatants'?

The WAR mongering GOP has NO credibility left, my friend.

You are a DISGRACE. Throughout your campaign for President you have done nothing but talk about WAR.

The USA does not need another WAR BUZZARD for President.

August 13, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  10. Joe

It is clear now that we lost the Cold War because we had no influence over the philosophies that exist in Russia, as too will be the fate of Iraq. War is useless, a temporary fix.

August 13, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  11. Scott Tucson

What will be Obama solution to the Russian/Georgia? Feel good hugs all around and asking the two warring parties to CHANGE their feelings towards one another. Don't need a leftist Wimp in the WH.

August 13, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  12. bridgette

WOW. I am a little confused. Who is suppose to be the experience one in foreign affairs. Can someone please tell me what has he done to squash any conflict in the world. And, also, he keeps saying he knows how to win wars. What war has he won?

August 13, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  13. Jason

John

I am not Georgian nor will I ever be (nothing against the state of Georgia).. I am First and Foremost an American and Arizonan (native Arizonan in fact).. You can stand with Georgia if you want to, I will stand with America!! I will support America first John, not like your weasel friend Libelman who supports Israel first!.. And John, you DO NOT speak for me!! Stand with America John.. You know the your home country, oh wait you were born in the Panama Canal..

McCain supporter. A vote for McCain will mean WW3.. If you want that. go ahead make that choice!

GOP Supporter.. Where in the Constitution does it say Experience and Knowledge are needed to be President??? No where I can see of!!

August 13, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  14. Patriot

Americans need to wake up from what seems to be an eternal slumber with an incompetent and bad luck President.

Sending military aircraft into Georgia will only inflame the situation.

Are Americans forgetting that Russia is NUCLEAR-ARMED? lol

Bush is behaving like the maniac muslims: He's taking the US on a suicide mission, daring the Russians to bomb Georgia's airport and blockade the ports.

August 13, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  15. Randy - Denver

This points out my largeswt concern with Mr. McCain: I have served with too many officers during my 21 years in the Navy that do not understand the simple idea that just because you disagree with someone they are NOT your enemy. Mr. McCain's response to this situation shows that even with a large body of experiance behind you it is judgement that is important. His off the cuff threatening and belicose words contrast poorly against Mr. Obama's more reasoned approach. While some may argue that Mr. Obama's approach was to wait and talk with his advisors and that this shows a weakness I would argue the this shows a strength. Mr. McCain, some would argue, showed leadership by immediately responding in a strong manner. I would respectfully disagree I feel it shows a knee jerk reaction, that while piloting a war plane is a plus, is a negative in a leader. I personally feel that Mr. Obama's slower reasoned approach to a subject that he has no power to act on right now, is the more appropriate response. The military mind, and those who are "blindly patriotic to our country (if not our ideals) (by the way this does not mean the military is blindly patriotic to our country many support our ideals over our government) think America's power resides in our Military and that a strong military offense is a strong defense. I disagree, I feel America's power is in our culture and our ideals, the military is there simply to support those ideals. The oath of the military is to the Consitution, to defend IT against all enemies forgien and domestic, and to follow the orders of those appointed over you AS LONG AS THEY DO NOT CONFLICT WITH THE CONSTITUTION. I spent 21 years in the Military one thing they taught us is that an UNLAWFUL ORDER, ie one that conflicts with the Constitution, SHOULD NOT BE FOLLOWED and that if you do follow it you are open to charges. Unfortunately many officers I dealt with forget that and try to force obediance and think they are due obediance, Mr. McCain reminds me of some of those officers.

August 13, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  16. My Friends, let me tell you,

I will sell a "GI John action figure" soon and cut our deficit in half by the time I take office.Yes and I approved this ad.

August 13, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  17. Brenda of Saginaw ,Michigan

Hate,hate,hate,now McCain will want to boom,boom,boom Russia.

August 13, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  18. ProudDemocrat

This old man needs to shut up he is making me sick I can wait until November to see this iditot disappear.

August 13, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  19. Susan

He sure is pushing for it. His answer to everything is war,bomb,war,bomb.

August 13, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  20. Republicans for OBAMA

IN THE OLDEN DAYS OF REAL REPUBLICAN PATRIOTS

IF OUR LEADERS WERE MORE CONCERNED WITH THE

WELLBEING OF OTHER NATIONS, AT THE EXPENSE OF

OUR OWN NATION, WE CALLED THEM TRAITORS.

August 13, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  21. TG

"Okay, so AFTER he preempted the official U.S. response with inflamatory statements made for personal political gain, now he “'strongly' supports Bush’s position".
    Should we put a loose cannon in the White House? I think not!"

Yes Mikey, he has to step back now because of the Logan Act.
    He could get into a lot of trouble with that mouth of his.

August 13, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  22. Praetorian, Fort Myers

We need to unify ourselves and support whoever happens to be President when they are speaking out about supporting one of our allies. Regardless of party–Bush represents all Americans–and all Americans should support his chastisement of this kind of aggression against one of our allies.

August 13, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  23. Help us

The fact that McCain does not know how to use a computer is a clear indication that he is from a period long gone. His response to the conflict in Georgia is also from the past. Simply put, everything about McCain is old. Now it's time to move to a more progressive and futuristic leadership.
    At the end of the day, if John McCain strength is foreign policy, then all I can say is "God help America."

August 13, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  24. Bill Tampa

Just goes to show you. McShame is joined at the hip with Bushy. And by the way McShame, I'm no Georgian, I'm American. Don't give away my citizenship....Remember what your buddy Misha said this morning, enough words, show some action. Oh I forgot, you're not the President, so you can't do anything. Moron!!!!!!!!!!1

August 13, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  25. Thomas

McCain supporter – We really need a complete and utter novice like Obama leading the country when a crisis like this happens.

You are right. We do need Obama during a crisis like this. One who is capable of thinking things through before making stupid and vapid statements like "we are all Georgians" . A person who does not have cold-war flashbacks to a war he wished he had won.

Yes we need a man like Obama.

Good call, never thought I would agree with a McCain supporter.

August 13, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |