August 13th, 2008

Obama up in Pennsylvania, New Jersey

Obama is vacationing in Hawaii.
Obama is vacationing in Hawaii.

(CNN) - New polls out Wednesday show Barack Obama is leading in two Northeastern states - one of which will likely play a key role in deciding the next President of the United States.

A Franklin & Marshall poll out of Pennsylvania shows the Illinois senator leads McCain by eight points (44-36 percent) among registered voters, while a Quinnipiac poll of likely voters in New Jersey puts Obama up by 10 there. The Pennsylvania poll has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.9 percentage points, while the New Jersey poll's margin or error is plus or minus 2.6 points.

Pennsylvania is a perennial battleground state and will be heavily contested by both candidates this fall. In 2004, John Kerry carried it by less than 200,000 votes. New Jersey may be a safer bet for Obama - the state hasn't voted for a Republican presidential candidate since 1988.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. OBAMA Supporter all the way

I live in PA and Obama has a bunch of campaign offices open and thousands of volunteers go door to door.

We got your back Obama...you will be the next President!

August 13, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  2. Mike P

Guess all that bashing doesn't work after all!

August 13, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  3. Obama is the dumbest candidate ever

He's doing a good job using Clinton's philosophy: "Tell a lie often enough and dumb people will begin to believe you."

August 13, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  4. Obamacan

Obama Supporters do not be fooled by the media. We will show up at the polls in droves this November. Obama is going to rewrite the political map, and who cares about red/blue states.

August 13, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  5. Sharon- Birmingham, Al

very sweet...... what about the children from his first marriage. Would like to know how those children feel about this book. My ex-husband remarried and he is golden to his second family and it was not unnoticed by my children with him. He is no hero to them.

August 13, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  6. Debby

What about Ohio? Bush won the Presidency 2 times carrying Florida and Ohio.

August 13, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  7. Dan , TX

These polls are meaningless until people start actually getting the facts about both candidates.

What are their tax policies? What will happen to the federal budget deficit? How much will it cost to support their health care plans and how will it impact coverage of uninsured people?

The Tax Policy Center is a non-partisan group that has done this analysis.
    But you won't hear about it. It criticizes both parties. But in the end, it made it clear to me that I support the democratic plan, not the republican plan.

August 13, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  8. Jimmy P - Chicago

Obama is so pathetic – such a staged photo. Walking the beach with his young radicals.

August 13, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  9. Faux News

And it seems Obama is picking up the so-called hardworking white vote as well. hmmmm...so that throws out the unelectable argument.

August 13, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  10. aware

Right! McCain rocks! :)

August 13, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  11. Montana is Obama Country

This is super good news.. Thanks..

And love the photo of our future President with his beautiful daughters enjoying the last of summer vacation.

Yes...WE...Can....

Yes..>WE<...SHOULD...

Obama 08

August 13, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  12. Confused by Ignorance

Wow a Person who hates America is winning over Americans?-

You must have us confused. We're the educated, latte sippers, remember? Pick a stereotype and stick with it. I have an MBA and I'm for Obama. What education level did you complete?

August 13, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  13. Viet Vet

OH LUIS – -Take a look in the mirror – -Talk of the insane How' s your president doin' ?

August 13, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  14. Didine - Maryland

Nice picture of our next President. He is really a family man. Good job in new Jersey and Pennsylvania. Your hard work is paying now. I am with you President Obama, all the way to the White House.

Obama '08

August 13, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  15. Marc PDX

I think the "Obama is vacationing in Hawaii" picture with this article is going to be apropos for the entire Obama presidency. But the less he is seen or heard the better he looks. (He is good looking and can read a script as well as anyone in Hollywood... that's all it takes to make a liberal swoon... LOL!)

August 13, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  16. Jeff

I'm hoping that voters come to their senses before November. But then again, when the other credible choice is McCain there's not a lot that can be done. I have been a Democrat all of my life but will be sitting home in November. I would like to have a President that has more than ego on his resume. Did we learn nothing from G.W. Bush?

August 13, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  17. Vegas Barbie for Obama

As a small city Pennsylvania native, I am heartened to see my home state even coming into the 20th century, for crying out loud, let alone the 21st century! Change is accepted slowly there, so it is good to see that folks recognize the hope and the change that future POTUS will bring to the White House after he is elected in November.
    OBAMA/BIDEN '08 & '12 YES WE CAN!!!

August 13, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  18. Willy

Only by a little CNN.

August 13, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  19. Brenda of Saginaw ,Michigan

YES WE CAN,YES WE CAN,YES WE CAN.....ok, now what are we supposed to do.?

"VOTE OBAMA "

August 13, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  20. TPnTN

All you people who are whining about the amount of coverage Obama is receiving, you really should be glad! After all, if they REALLY covered McCain as they do Obama, even you would see just how wrong McCain is for this country.

Just how much have you heard McCain talk about what he is going to do for us? I can answer that honestly for you...very, very little. What we hear mostly from McCain is surge, surge, drill, surge, surge....

John McCain couldn't acknowledge the very man that saved HIS life in Vietnam in his book. How in the world could you ever think he would acknowledge any real issues we the American people are faced with? Check out: Vietnam Veterans against John McCain and see for yourself!

War is all Big John knows.................

August 13, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  21. Obama gets it right........

ALLAN USA. August 13th, 2008 1:55 pm ET

For people who love Obama. Tell me one thing Obama did good for America. One,please.I know it's going to take all day.

*****************************************************************
    Obama makes Americans proud to be Americas!

August 13, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  22. Eric-PA

PA is Clinton/McCain country. Certainly not Obama country. Remember we cling to our guns and religion and don't like people who don't look like us. We remember.

August 13, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  23. Fay Tx

Oh My!!! Here comesthe Republicans Attack ADS!!!

August 13, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  24. Jeff

Confused by Ignorance – Are we supposed to be impressed with an MBA? Please, you can’t really spit without hitting one. Your MBA obviously doesn’t indicate intelligence or common sense, just arrogance. I'm not going to get into a pissing contest over education, but believe me, you and your paltry MBA would lose. I don’t support Obama and I have legitimate reasons for not supporting him. If you can’t have a political debate without attempting to paint your opponent as ignorant and uneducated, go back to the playground and let the grownups talk. Otherwise, put on your big boy pants and participate in an intelligent discussion.

August 13, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  25. Cricket

I have heard Obama being called arrogant until I could scream!! The very nerve of john mccain to say "I'm sure I speak for all Americans"!! Well here's a real news alert-you don't speak for me and please don't presume to do that again. I am not a war monger and do not wish to be known as one!
    I have also seen here more times than I can count how Obama supporters do not work, are uneducated (term most often used is stupid), that we are all left wing extremists or young voters who don't bother to listen to the issues being discussed. Well, I have 2 yrs. of college, I work full time, have no plans to retire, maintain my home and lawn, and I'm 63 yrs. old and a white Southerner. I voted for mccain in 2000 (something I'm no longer proud of) but make no mistake-I'll never do it again. And never under any circumstances would I ever vote for HRC!!
    Although I am an Independent, I was a volunteer and staunch supporter of another Dem. candidate. I'm not whining or threatening to vote for mccain because my first choice lost. I have accepted it and feel that I am doing what my candidate would want me to do. I suggest that all you spoiled HRC brats do the same before she ruins her future by causing a disturbance at the convention!!

Southern grandma for Obama