August 13th, 2008

Reporters get peek at Meghan McCain's children's book

Reporters got a sneak peek at the new McCain children’s book Wednesday.
Reporters got a sneak peek at the new McCain children’s book Wednesday.

DETROIT, Michigan (CNN) – Reporters on board John McCain’s campaign plane Wednesday got an early look at Meghan McCain’s soon-to-be-published “picture book biography” of her father, titled: “My Dad, John McCain.”

The Simon & Schuster hardback, set to hit stores on September 2, is a brief, sentimental look at the familiar elements of McCain’s legendary biography, including his time in a Vietnamese prison and his run for the White House in 2000.

Several pages are devoted to McCain’s military background and his imprisonment in Vietnam, with relatively little attention paid to his youth (he “broke a lot of rules” in high school, the book says) and to his time in Congress.

Cindy McCain, along with Meghan's siblings Jack, Jimmy and Bridget, are described fondly in the book - but the children from McCain’s first marriage are left unmentioned.

Illustrated by Dan Andreasen, the pictures in the book are gauzy sketches of famous McCain iconography: there’s a drawing of his cadet head shot from the Naval Academy, as well as a rendition of a still-recuperating McCain’s meeting with Richard Nixon following his return from Vietnam. McCain is also depicted sitting forlornly in his Hanoi prison cell.

The book is recommended for children between ages 5 and 10, but it contains a mild dose of the politics, including some of the McCain campaign’s over-arching themes, particularly the notion that McCain "puts his country first."

Meghan conjures one of her father’s favorite town hall tag lines on the book’s final page, writing: “I know he’ll say what he really thinks. Maybe it won’t be what people want to hear. But it will be the truth.”

New Hampshire is praised as the state that vaulted McCain to the Republican nomination; next month's Republican convention, where the Arizona senator is slated to officially receive his party's presidential nomination, is described in the past tense.

“In September 2008, the Republican Party had a big meeting, the Republican National Convention,” Meghan writes. “And on that day, my dad was officially chosen as the Republican candidate for President of the United States.”

One percent of the book’s proceeds will go to the Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund, which provides support for wounded military veterans and their families.

Filed under: John McCain • Meghan McCain
  1. Ken

"The book is recommended for children between ages 5 and 10". Well that's great. It means the book is readable by the people who are most likely to vote for McCain.

August 13, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  2. TWT

I WONDER IF IT WILL SHOW HIM WITH HIM DOING HIS WIFE WHILE HIS EX IS IN THE BACK GROUND IN A WHEEL CHAIR

August 13, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  3. joanne

Naval Academy students are NOT cadets/they are midshipmen.

August 13, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  4. Steve

Completely weird. If you're a diabetic, don't read this. If you're prone to nausea, don't read this. McCain, as usual, the facts and what you and your family are publishing as your story are somewhat in disagreement. This book is the McCain campaign equivalent of Hillary's tears. Total theater, and complete BS.

August 13, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  5. Estela

Pure propaganda. What a joke.

August 13, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  6. TX for OBAMA

Who Cares!

August 13, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  7. Reality

GIVE ME A BREAK !!!! THIS BOOK SHOULD BE SET ON FIRE !!!

August 13, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  8. Chris

I think I just threw up a little bit. Disgusting.

August 13, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  9. John

Way to get 'em while they're young. I feel like I might vomit.

August 13, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  10. Ken

Overheard in a bathroom stall on the [R] side of the capital: "a peek at Meghan's book, or a peek at Cindy's panties...its doesn't matter, as long as we get a peek at something."

August 13, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  11. Phil in KC

Oh please!
    Isn't the timing just a little bit suspect?

August 13, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  12. Steve

Uhhh...."Abbey" I think the phrase you're looking for is "young heiress".
    I don't even want to think what a "young hairless" might be...

August 13, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  13. LLM from MD

This is B.S. Who is the audience for this book? sounds boring to me.....and not to mention his kids from the FIRST marriage is B.S. I wouldn't buy it if my life depended on it!! At least by mentioning them, it shows he's a good dad but a lousy husband!!! and now we now he will make an even lousier president (hope we never get the change fo find out)

OBAMA '08/'12

August 13, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  14. Sherry, Atlanta

HOW SAD! THE LEAST THAT MCCAIN'S FAMILY COULD DO IS SHOW CONSIDERATION & APPREICATION FOR THE FAMILY THAT MCCAIN LEFT BEHIND. . . TYPICAL OF A UNITER!!!

August 13, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  15. dittohead with forty names

This book reminds me of my daddy, Rush Limbaugh,but I havent got a chance to meet him yet.My mommy met him in Vegas I think.

August 13, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  16. Tim

This is nice, but why is it news???

August 13, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  17. Another grumpy old white woman for Obama

She should be giving all the proceeds to Childrens charities.
    The ones who will be hurt if her Daddy is elected.

August 13, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  18. LYNETTE IN CA

I don't think I need to say anything more than has been said. Well done people!!! You hit all the right points! Lack of mention of first family that waited for him to come home, how he cheated on his first wife w/Cindy to continue to fund his political career!!

OBAMA '08 Someone w/family values who puts people first.

August 13, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  19. stephanie

wow, a whole ONE percent will be donated to charity.. how generous. and how sweet that the the children from mccain's first marriage (which would be meghan's half-siblings..) are left unmentioned. i see that she's really trying to go a long way to hide the fact that her father abandoned those children and his first wife for cindy. not exactly the qualities i'd want in a president..

August 13, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  20. Raymond Duke

I guess the press needs to do a stupid story on John McCains family since the liberal press did so many goofy stories on Obama's family to cover up his anti- white american stances.I don't really care about their families. As long as they are well and safe it is no news. Now that big mouthed Obama mama "who for the first time is proud of america" she would be news if she spoke her true mind like she did in her written thesis about how sorry the "White America" is and how we should socialize the goverment to help the poor blacks we so badly abused.

August 13, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  21. Vincent

Just why didn't she mention her other siblings? Could it be because if she did it wouldn't make for "family values" reading material for those between 5 and 10?

I guess then I can write about my father being Santa...

August 13, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  22. True

"Oh, my dad, Exxon John, is running for President, a perfect time for me to take advantage of the media by promoting and selling my book."

August 13, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  23. ProudToBeDemocrat

"But the children from McCain’s first marriage are left unmentioned ". Mccain no mention of his first wife and chidren tells it all he is a selfish old man . How can one have a true biography by not telling all the truth.

August 13, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  24. BJGT

I think it is repugnant to use a children's book as propaganda.

August 13, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  25. McCain’s PHONY EXPRESS

Chapter 1: Found out McCain cheated on his first wife!
    Chapter 2: McCain voted on getting the Ford Pinto! Once it exploded on him(he backed up into another car), he said it exploded because it had WMD!
    Chapter 3: McCain has a bad temper
    Chapter 4: McCain can’t help his kids with computer work. He doesn’t know how to use a PC
    Chapter 5: McCain’s kids found out that he is NOT smarter than a 5th grader! Remember he was at the bottom 5 at his school! (895 out of 896?)

August 13, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |