August 14th, 2008

Biden, Bayh get VP night slots at convention

Biden and Bayh are speaking Wednesday night.
Biden and Bayh are speaking Wednesday night.

(CNN) - The two senators widely believed to be at the top of Barack Obama's shortlist for VP have been given prime-time speaking slots at the Democratic convention Wednesday night - the very same night the vice presidential candidate is slated to speak.

According to the Democratic National Convention Committee, both Indiana Sen. Evan Bayh and Delaware Sen. Joe Biden will deliver speeches on national security during the marquee night - the same evening former President Bill Clinton is also scheduled to speak.

New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, West Virginia Sen. Jay Rockefeller, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, and Colorado Sen. Ken Salazar will also speak Wednesday evening, according to the convention committee.

But Biden and Bayh's appearance especially is sure to heighten speculation one of the two senators will ultimately be named Obama's running mate. The announcement also comes the same day Biden hit the campaign trail for the Illinois senator, accepting an endorsement on his behalf from the International Association of Firefighters in Las Vegas.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Evan Bayh • Joe Biden • Popular Posts
  1. Jim

I looked at Sen. Biden's biography on Wikipedia and found him to be an impressive potential VP due to his long service on the senate judiciary and foriegn affairs committees. Note: did anyone notice how McCain plagiarized from the Wikipedia site some comments about the country of Georgia?

Sen. Bayh is also a solid choice, but perhaps Biden would be better, given the current crises in our relations with Russia, Iran, Iraq, etc. Bush/Cheney and McCain offer only bankrupt diplomacy and failures in our foreign relations.

August 14, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  2. Ajok Kangor

my name is ajok kangor.
    i know that fighting is going on around the world. i am a canadian citizen and i hare with canadains, if i win something good i thought people would talk to me and tell what rules are in canada but peolpe are abusing me and i have been in canada for 5 years and in those five years i have moved to 4 houses. i know the canadaina government knows the case between me and my husband. i don't like to talk about him becouse he has a group that works with him. i also know that 5there is a fight in russia and the jewish people(gorgia) but we are living with one crist. to me this is a disaster and it dousent make me haappy.even though i havent been in canada i have to keep my team(my basketball team)

August 14, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  3. Ed

Biden would be the better Veep, adding decades of credilbe foreign policy experience. A strong experienced partner for the inexperienced Obama. I liked him in the Iowa debates, and his resume is rock solid.

On the other hand, Bayh could put normally solidly Republican Indiana in play, and force McCain to defend it, which would move resources from other states in play like Colorado or Virginia or even the big ones like Ohio or Florida. That could be a brilliant tactical move, especially if voters fail to see it for what it would be.

So, is Obama thinking about the next 12 weeks or the 4 years that follow it? We will soon find out. I'm sure he's doing lots of thinking in Hawaii.

August 14, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  4. TXBad1 Never for Obama (X-Dem)

If thats the 2 choices for VP, Bye bye Democratic Party, I mailed a donation letter from Obama back and said please do not contact me again!

McCain all the Way in 2008, Obmabots you asked for it you get it and coming in November! a big eye opening defeats in the States that matter!

August 14, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  5. Seanm

After having seen both of these two men speak, I must say I'm more impressed with Biden. He's much better at the traditional attack dog politics needed as a VP. Bayh is nice, but unfortunately Edwards tried that tack out in 2004 and that proved to be a mistake. Obama needs an attack dog like Cheney was in 2004.

August 14, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  6. Denise

One of them has to be the VP choice.

August 14, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  7. DA

It will be Bayh. It would not be a wise choice to pick Biden because he was seeking the nomination and the HRC supporters would just loose it!!!!

August 14, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  8. 80 YEAR OLD FOR OBAMA

I prefer Biden to be the VP.

Please ban the Clintons from the convention completly do not let Bill or HIllary speak. I feel that they are still trying to over throw Obama.

OBAMA IS THE NOMINEE THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY WE DON'T NEED ANY MORE VOTES FOR HRC IT IS OVER! SHE LIED SAYING SHE WILL HELP OBAMA HOWEVER I ALWAYS KNEW SHE WOULD NOT...

August 14, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  9. Proud American

Biden for VP and I am so over the Clintons .... they are so self centered and think only of themselves versus the Country. if by some God unforsaken reason Obama does not win the election it will sorely be the Clintons faught .... we will never forgive them for that... I am a woman and feel strongly for the cause of women ... and I use to be a true Clinton supporter however, their true colors are showing!

August 14, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  10. Hawk Texas

to all the ones saying that obama is the nominee, wake up he has not been nominated yet. and if he is it wont be until all the delagates vote. any one even hillary still has a chance.

August 14, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  11. Jan From Boca Raton, Fl

I think Biden would be a great VP.

Hillary/Biden 08
    No Obama

August 14, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  12. dl

JOEBAMA!!!!!

August 14, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  13. bob in LA

If it's Biden I will finally be a fallen- PUMA.
    The man is the best qualified for the office of president and if used properly by Obama would be the best VP in history.
    Of course, there is always the possibility that Obama will find a new book to write and yet another position to run for and Biden could just take over the job!
    Us Puma's are not blindly falling into Obamaland because we just don't believe him- has nothing to do with sour grapes about Hillary.

August 14, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  14. Nan Kochneff

I support Joe Biden and Barrack Obama. Even if Obama does not choose Biden as his running mate, I know Biden will be influential in the decision-making of an Obama candidacy and presidential cabinet. That, alone, helps me be at peace. It's more of a 'straight talk express' than anything McCain ever had going for him in his run for the presidential race.

Condi Rice once accused Richard Clarke of being one who was known to "break china". I feel historians will agree that china needed to be broken, and Clarke was right in raising the flag on the 9/11 terror alert prior to its existence.

Biden has the best handle on what it takes to keep America safe. The public debates that occured during the Democratic nominations prove Biden has the best handle on this situation and is in a good position to advise his party's candidate, honestly, on what is at stake.

No, he may be too outspoken for some to believe in as President, but honesty is exactly what we Americans need and expect. Sometimes the truth hurts, and I believe Biden and Obama will be wise enough, together, to help lead America to a better way of life for all in the world, not just Republicans vs. Democrats vs Independents.

Do we need further divisiveness? No. I feel there is a common bond between all political parties, ideologies, faiths and genders. Finding that bond is OUR responsiblity, NOT that of the candidate whom we choose to lead this great nation.

August 14, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  15. Lyndsey

Obama/Biden please!!!!!

August 14, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  16. Turnabout is Fair Play

Joyce in Florida August 14th, 2008 6:20 pm ET

Well this is interesting. It could be that now Hillary Clinton will be nominated as well, that maybe one of these two will be her V.P. pick? I am so glad I kept Hillary for President stickers on my vehicle. This convention should be REAL interesting. Can't wait to see what happens. Will be the most exciting convention ever!!! Wish I could be there. I think things will be changing in the next few days leading up the convention. GO HILLARY!!!!!!
    ======================================================
    Lisa August 14th, 2008 6:24 pm ET

Once Hillary is selected as the nominee, are the Obama supporters going to cry foul and threnten to vote for Mccain?
    -------------------------------–

You two bitter old women actually think that Hillary will be nominated at the convention?? ROFLMAO!!! It's a SYMBOLIC gesture, she will turn over her delegates to Obama that night!! LOL!! You two really thought she still had a chance! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

August 14, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  17. David from Ohio

Bayh would be the better pick. Hillary would never be a good pick, for VP or President. Go away now PUMAs.

August 14, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  18. Fatima

SIGH

McSame supporters you guys are a waste of space, time and energy.
    You follow right after your idiot leader's direction and post on blogs like this to justify your uneducated decision to support him. McSame supporters you have no substance like him. You feel the urge to prove yourselves. Hmmm....what a pity.

Obama/Biden '08

'nuff said

August 14, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  19. dave from pa

I just hope he dosnt pick kaine. hes a good guy its just that hes new on the scene so i hope its one of those two expecially biden. who may have derailed rudy gulianis campaign.

August 14, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  20. Corey, Maryland

I noticed that Bill Richardson is speaking Wednesday night as well!!!!!

Obama Richardson 2008!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 14, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  21. u-r-not-the-cnn-u used-to-be

CNN please help us! Shed off your ties with corporate America and politicians. I look like a hypocrite when I talk to Chinese about free media. Please!!!

August 14, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  22. Jeff from Jersey

TXBAD...

The name says it all...BAD and a vote for McCain will go from bad to even worse.

Biden has the experience in forien affairs and more than enough global respect to help resolve international problems without declaring war every time there is a problem.

The only solution to any problem that the republicans can ever come up with is war!War after, war after war!They claim to be protecting our lives?Tell that to the millions of american familes whose homes are in forclosure!Tell that to the more than 100,000,00 americans without health insurance!

August 14, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  23. Rick

I'm african american and I am amazed. CNN, CBS, NBC, ABC basically threw this election. I watched all the debates, they asked Mrs. Clinton Questions, she answered them and this nut says " I aggree with Senator Clinton(Change) and I was waiting on one of these so called even handed news organizations to step up and say wait a minute.

Change what, change when or change how?

FOXNEWS is just a Joke station so before you go there, It's not really worth mentioning.

Isn't it amazing though, a candidate with no platform, but he looks good, shuffling his feet, he got all his teeth, and he can smile on cue, and he can say nothing positive about African Americans, and this is the 1st brown man to get elected.

Way to go.

I rather vote for Cynthia McKinney at least she got more spunk.

Colin Powell is the most sensable man I ever heard of and he to smart to run with Obama.

Syas a lot.

August 14, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  24. steve007

Hillary! Hillary! Hillary!

PUMA!

August 14, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  25. Deb, Allentown, PA

Patrick Oliver, please tell us which woman McCain is going to pick as VP...

Could it be Carly Fiorina, with not one day of foreign policy experience, fired from her job at HP after gutting the company and sending hundreds, if not thousands of job overseas?

Or could it be Sarah Palin, who has endorsed parts of Obama's energy plan, and who is currently under investigation for trying to have her ex-brother-in-law illegally terminated from his job?

Oooooh, those are such good choices. Yes McCain, pick one of those two please.

August 14, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |