August 14th, 2008

Biden, Bayh get VP night slots at convention

Biden and Bayh are speaking Wednesday night.
Biden and Bayh are speaking Wednesday night.

(CNN) - The two senators widely believed to be at the top of Barack Obama's shortlist for VP have been given prime-time speaking slots at the Democratic convention Wednesday night - the very same night the vice presidential candidate is slated to speak.

According to the Democratic National Convention Committee, both Indiana Sen. Evan Bayh and Delaware Sen. Joe Biden will deliver speeches on national security during the marquee night - the same evening former President Bill Clinton is also scheduled to speak.

New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, West Virginia Sen. Jay Rockefeller, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, and Colorado Sen. Ken Salazar will also speak Wednesday evening, according to the convention committee.

But Biden and Bayh's appearance especially is sure to heighten speculation one of the two senators will ultimately be named Obama's running mate. The announcement also comes the same day Biden hit the campaign trail for the Illinois senator, accepting an endorsement on his behalf from the International Association of Firefighters in Las Vegas.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Evan Bayh • Joe Biden • Popular Posts
  1. ME IN FL

Bad choices for VP's, once again Nobama giving us an example of his inaptitude and lack of intelligence. God Bless us all if he wins!! He wants change, and yes, the voters are changing him for MC Cain.

Mike,

Totally agree with you, he needs Hillary to win!!! Go Hillary!!!

August 14, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  2. jason

I like Biden alot too, but the more I learn of this Evan Bayh guy the more I like....He's 57and I'm think'n the long game here 2020 and beyond. We need warriors like Biden and HRC to lead the fight washington.

August 14, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  3. Rose

I see a lot of the posts want Biden for Obama's pick but isn't Biden part of the "Old Washington Politics" that Obama doesn't like? How is he going to explain that?? Bayh is okay but doesn't have much experience, I think neither of them will be his pick.

August 14, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  4. Anonymous

They are both great. I have been impressed by Joe Biden for many years. He has a great deal of credibility nationally. Also, Obama/Biden sounds just as good as these to look side by side.

* * * * * * *

I heard Rush on the radio to today. He was out-right giddy with excitement over Hill putting her name into nomination. I have no doubt that this will backfire and will work to build excitement over the DNC convention.

August 14, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  5. Sue

Both excellent choices.. Biden and Bayh!

August 14, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  6. Peter

Obama/Biden is an excellent ticket and is a winner!
    McCain/Clinton is also an excellent ticket and certainly the most ideologically suited for Hillary and her supporters. Republican – PUMA its all the same!

August 14, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  7. Peggy, TX

They are both great. I have been impressed by Joe Biden for many years. He has a great deal of credibility nationally. Also, Obama/Biden sounds just as good as these two look side by side.

* * * * * * * * * *

August 14, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  8. Dave from Florida

Ooooooh Boy! Bayh & Biden...Mutt & Jeff. Better off contracting the show out to Cheech & Chong.

August 14, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  9. Michael G- Ventura ca

OBAMA/BIDEN 08!

August 14, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  10. patsy in iowa

Let it be Biden, let it be Biden, let it be Biden.

August 14, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  11. vdemocrat

Never heard of these guys these guys are little but they can screw up an election like... Nadar for example

August 14, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  12. Travis

Clark is the best choice, easily. His foreign policy cred trumps anything McCain can throw out there. Followed, rather distantly by Biden. When the credit card crisis hits in a big way, do you want the man that ushered it in to be the the VP? NO WAY on Bayh, and I'm from Indiana, he's as much as Dem as Lieberman.

August 14, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  13. Terik Ororke

One from Illinois andone from Indiana–now that is stupid.

August 14, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  14. Elderly Democratic woman

Men in ties..................yawn.

August 14, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  15. Charlotte

I don't believe putting Hillarys' name in nomination will change the outcome. It will, however give her the credit she deserves for running such a close race. If Kennedy and Kerry had supported the candidate their constitutents wanted, Obama would be the one wanting to have his name placed in nomination as the runner up. I also have no doubt he would have been chosen as her VP. With that said, the convention is merely the final vote to name the nominee. Unless Obama does something really stupid between now and then, he will be the democratic nominee. I will neverless, write her name on my ballot whether it counts or not. My vote is my vote and it means a lot to me

August 14, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  16. Ex-Obama Democrat for McCain

I like Biden but he's a two-time loser in presidential elections and he made racially insensitive statements in an undercover audio/video tape.
    Bayh--who the heck is this guy? Obama better introduce him quick and get America used to him or they won't vote for "2 rookies" on a presidential ticket.
    Kathryn amherst MA

August 14, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  17. Robert

So Obama's shirtless romp in the surf gets coverage, but there is no mention of 3rd party candidates like Bob Barr on this website at all? I mean, the categories section still lists Giuliani and Edwards but no mention of Barr or the others.

How about some fair coverage of all the candidates?

August 14, 2008 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  18. No Hillary the Weasel

This is what Clintons remind one of if there is a crack in the wall they will try to wedge themselves through even it is takes lies,low road remarks ,/changing the rules in the middle of the game to benefit just them.They are the limit .

Caroline K.VP
    Biden Vp

August 14, 2008 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  19. Don't Vote For Hate

Obama/Richardson 08!!

How much you want to bet that Bill Clinton will carry on and on and on and try to knock the VP off prime time or at least wear everyone out so that he is not so well recieved? Bill Clinton has been acting so petty and embittered during this campaign that I am willing to bet a paycheck i can't afford to give away.

August 14, 2008 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  20. samuel

Sorry Lisa ("Once Hillary is selected as nominee"). Hillary has publically said that she will vote for Obama, not for herself (she is a superdelegate) AND will support a vote for Obama by aclamation. As if that's not enough, she will lose the contest by 700 delegates. And, she didn't want her name to be placed in nomination but was convinced to do so by the Obama campaign. This is all about party unity. Hillary knows she lost and supports Obama. Isn't it time we thought about the party and its principles first and personalities second?

August 14, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  21. TXBad1 Never for Obama (X-Dem)

Its Not over till the Vote and super Delegates and deligates can change they do not have to Vote for Obama, and I think they Know the heats on also in there states! Obama could not be the Candidate anybody Look at that fact!

August 14, 2008 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  22. kathleen thompson gonzalez, san juan

Please.....Rep. Robert Wexler!

August 14, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  23. A Proud Independent

Unless Hillary comes out of Denver as the nominee or she becomes Obama's running mate, Obama loses my vote.

And I'm sick and tired of Obamabots saying "Hillary Lost! She's a sore loser! Get Over It!". Those Obamabots would probably be whining and crying if Obama and Clinton switched places. Well, the only sore loser in this race is Obama because he is going to lose to McCain in the general election if he even becomes the nominee (note: he is only the presumptive nominee currently). The delegates better wake-up the day before the convention and realize that Hillary is the only one that can clean up the mess left by the Bush administration and the only one that is sure beat McCain in the General Election.

Obama's a dishonest, arrogant, untrustworthy, inexperienced, flip-flopper who constantly makes negative remarks about his own country. I have no clue why so many people including the media admire him. But for me, it's Hillary or McCain '08. Hillary and McCain are both proud Americans.

August 14, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  24. Crush Rush

Joe Biden" is the man for the job.

August 14, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  25. silas

Guys lets get real, I believe we will see a

Obama/Bayh ticket .

It really makes sense to me becos you've got two young chrismatic men and Bayh can touch those blue color votes barack has been strugglin' to hold for some time

And it I just mention he was an Hilary supporter and well loved just like people love Barack .

Obama/Bayh 08