August 14th, 2008

Biden, Bayh get VP night slots at convention

Biden and Bayh are speaking Wednesday night.
Biden and Bayh are speaking Wednesday night.

(CNN) - The two senators widely believed to be at the top of Barack Obama's shortlist for VP have been given prime-time speaking slots at the Democratic convention Wednesday night - the very same night the vice presidential candidate is slated to speak.

According to the Democratic National Convention Committee, both Indiana Sen. Evan Bayh and Delaware Sen. Joe Biden will deliver speeches on national security during the marquee night - the same evening former President Bill Clinton is also scheduled to speak.

New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, West Virginia Sen. Jay Rockefeller, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, and Colorado Sen. Ken Salazar will also speak Wednesday evening, according to the convention committee.

But Biden and Bayh's appearance especially is sure to heighten speculation one of the two senators will ultimately be named Obama's running mate. The announcement also comes the same day Biden hit the campaign trail for the Illinois senator, accepting an endorsement on his behalf from the International Association of Firefighters in Las Vegas.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Evan Bayh • Joe Biden • Popular Posts
  1. susan

It doesn't really matter which gent he picks ... 'cause ...
    The "Annointed" one is simply not going to be elected as POTUS!!
    We Americans, afterall, are real smart ! & wise ! & of course, audacious !!

August 14, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  2. marge

LOL! BILLARYBOTS!!!!!! Dont hold your breath waiting for Hillary to be picked as VP.....It Aint Going To Happen!!!!!!!

August 14, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  3. Mike Dallas

It will not be either of these guys, the speechs are the consolation prize.. The VP choice will be the only drama in the convention. Since I signed up for email notification, this means I can just watch on Thursday night when Obama accepts the nominee slot and introduces Wesley Clark as his veep choice,

August 14, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  4. marge

Roy August 14th, 2008 6:39 pm ET

Consolation speaking slots, nothing more. Just wait til the roll call is taken and we all get to see what i predicted all along: Clinton/Obama '08, yes in that order.
    ______________________________________________________
    LMAO!! I want what Roy is smoking!!!! LOL!LOL!

August 14, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  5. Independant Thinker

Remember when Biden was basing our troops.

It was on thing to bash Bush on the war in Iraq, but when Biden bashed our troops I lost what ever respect for the man.

Biden, Murtha and Pelosi need to go.

August 14, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  6. Biden is a good choice

Joe Biden probably has more foreign policy and military experience than anyone in Washington. He would be a great choice for Senator O'blah blah

August 14, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  7. Tim Garrett

mccain/lieberman 08'

hillary 12

August 14, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  8. anyomous

oh great someone else join the fun

August 14, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  9. JIM

As an independent-democrat who will be supporting Obama, I'm going to need all Obama supporters who keep putting the Clintons down to get over it, or McCain will be the next Commander in Chief and Obama will be just another nominee that didn't win the White House. In addition, Hilary ran the race wrong and thats why she lost, but its time to unify unless you want four more years of a Republican in Office @ 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

Go Dems 2008-2012. 2012-2016, 2016-2020, & 2020-2024 with Republican control so we can get back to the economic days of the 90"s to a point

August 14, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  10. CC

I like Bayh, senate and governor, add VP to that and in 2016 things would be looking very nice for another 8 years of democratic administration. I like Biden for Sec. of State with Clark as Sec of Def, maybe throw Bill on the supreme court. I would hate to lose two senate seats though.

August 14, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  11. A Latte Lover, Seattle, WA

Hmmm, all the prospects begin with B!!!! Anyone but Billary!!!!

Barack O'Biden, 08

August 14, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  12. RILEY HOFFPAUIR

If he chooses someone other then Hillary Clinton he will not be getting my family support and My family is huge numbers plus alot of connections in Texas. Choose Wisely Obama because choosing the wrong VP could seal Loose this race for you.

August 14, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  13. jimmy

AS AMERICANS , WE SHOULD PUT OUR COUNTRY FIRST NOT THE DEMOCRATIC OR REPUBLICAN PARTIES AND THE CANDIDATES FIRST. IF WE DO THAT WE MAY ELECT THE BEST ONE FOR THE PRESIDENT OF OUR GREAT COUTRY. WE MUST THEN VERY CLOSELY EVALUATE, SCRUTINIZE EACH CANDIDATES
    CREDENTIALS AND DETERMINE WHO IS BEST FOR THE JOB.
    FROM MOST AMERICANS WHO CAN SEE BEYOND THE RHETORIC
    WHICH IS JUST THAT, THE EVIDENCE IS NOT VERY CONVINCING
    FOR OBAMA. HIS OWN PERSONAL QUALIFICATIONS ARE SUBJECT TO MORE QUESTIONS THAN ANSWERS. THE OBAMA CAMP REBUTTAL AGAINST THE OBAMA NATION AUTHOR CORSI.
    MAY HAVE ITS POINT BUT SO DOES CORSI. FOR A STARTER
    I JUST CANNOT STOMACH OBAMA'S 20 RELATIONSHIP TO A RABID RACIST PASTOR AND BELIEVE IN OBAMA'S CLAIM TO BE A CHRISTIAN ....A TRUE BLUE CHRISTIAN THAT IS.. I CANNOT IMAGINE A CHRISTIAN LISTENING TO THAT PASTOR FOR 10 YEARS AND SAY HAD NOT HEARD THE SERMONS THAT SO MANY AMERICANS HAVE SEEN AND HEARD THROUGHOUT THE MEDIA WORLD. IT IS AMAZING TO US THAT THE MEDIA HAS EVEN TAKEN TO OBAMA OVER MCCAIN. BUT THE ELECTIONS ARE A GOOD
    MANY WEEKS AWAY AND BEFORE LONG WE WILL GET TO KNOW WHERE THVOTES ARE GOING.

August 14, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  14. Karen

Who cares about the VP when the presidential candidate is poorly qualified? Is it too late to pick Hillary? The more I read about Obama, the more frightened I am about him as president. Elect a woman. I can guarantee that if Hillary were the presumtive nominee right now, she wouldn't be in Hawaii while a potential third world war is starting in Georgia. A woman knows she has to work harder, and Hillary would.

August 14, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  15. MJ

Did any of you fools watch the Anita Hill debacle? Biden was anti-woman and absolutely nauseating.

August 14, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  16. Mike

Obama/Hagel

Last convention speach, "we are a purple nation." I can already see the signs, Obamas name in blue fading to Hagels name in red, most of the sign being purple.

August 14, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  17. Kris from AZ

Once the delegates have voted. We need Unity. If Hillary wins. I will vote for Hillary based on logic of being a true democrat. I am a Obama supporter but if he loses the convention. I am not going to cry like a Hillary supporter...you so called PUMAs. I will not. I will not say, I'm voting for MCcain because I am bitter. You so called Hillary supporters are pathetic and dont deserve to be a democrat. But if she loses. You so called PUMAs and Hillarepublicans need to understand what future is at stake. Our sons and daughters in Iraq. Our economy. etc. We need change. Lets come together. Who hears me out there? Holla if ya hear me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 14, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  18. Jennifer

Both are good candidates for the VP slot and it is refreshing to read about something other than the current antics of the ego driven Clinton circus.

August 14, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  19. Jim in Raleigh

Hey Republicans, why don't you go hang out on a Fox web site. The words in the stories are easier to understand and you won't make such fools of yourselves. They can make up and you can decide – and you can drool over your candidate – George W. (oh, I mean John) McSame!

August 14, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  20. CM

So we still have the 'I'm not voting for Obama crowd posting'. Well a lot of people aren't voting for Obama, thats what Republicans do. But this year a lot more are voting for him.

Those like Raymond Duke that just discovered the internet, why claim the man is arrogant? Do you know him? Isn't Bush down to earth? What a great job that guy's doing huh?

August 14, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  21. Venus

I hope it's Biden! He would be great!

August 14, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  22. jenny

Obama should pick Biden. No one else is able to smack down the Republicans like he can. We need someone who's willing to attack McCain and call him on his nonsense, and Biden is that guy.

And how great will it be to watch Biden debate McCain's VP pick? I can't wait!

August 14, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  23. PUMA

As for foul mouthed Obama supporters, I understand their frustrations, as we are not dancing to their raps.

I am sorry pretty boy Edwards is too busy with his baby boy to make it for the wednesday night. I am sorry Edwards is not the person Obama knew.

Al Gore/Hillary 08

August 14, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  24. King in MO

nannie bouroughs, Kenosha, WI said

"Obama is such a joke… He could have God as his VP and I still would not vote for this Paris Hilton clone…"

Uh... and we're the party filled with Godless liberals.

Social Conservatives use God to hide behind and then turn on him as soon as it's inconvienant. Liberals are usually nonreligious spiritual people that use God to guide their lives. Sorry but, I rather be the real deal.

August 14, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  25. Posn

Hillary supporters let the dream go................... It is over for her.

August 14, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |