August 14th, 2008

Huckabee slams idea of Romney as veep

Huckabee's win in Iowa derailed Romney's presidential hopes.
Huckabee's win in Iowa derailed Romney's presidential hopes.

(CNN) – Former presidential candidate Mitt Romney may be high up on John McCain's shortlist for VP, but Mike Huckabee suggested Thursday the Arizona senator would be wise to pick another candidate.

Huckabee, whose victory in the Iowa caucuses derailed Romney's campaign last January, suggested the former Massachusetts governor is distrusted among many social conservatives.

"I think the issue is that, you know, in many ways, Mitt Romney has had very definite swings of position, not just on one or two things, but on many of the issues," Huckabee said Thursday on Fox News.

Romney ran as a social conservative, though he acknowledged he was effectively pro-choice until 2004 - a fact that spurred charges last year of political posturing from many. Despite outspending Huckabee overwhelmingly in Iowa, social conservatives there resoundingly picked the ordained minister and former Arkansas governor.

Huckabee likely isn't making friends with the McCain campaign of late. In addition to criticizing Romney - now one of its top surrogates - the Arkansas Republican will reportedly attend a rally on the National Mall Saturday to push McCain and Obama to delve further into issues facing evangelical voters.

But Huckabee said he will support the Republican ticket, no matter who the vice presidential candidate is.

"I'm going to support our nominee," he said. "And I'm more interested in who the president is than who the vice president is, anyway."

As for his own chances of being named McCain's running mate, Huckabee said he isn't counting on it.

"I've said, for many, many months, now that I have no expectation that I'm going to get that phone call," he said. "I even have my cell phone turned off, as we speak."

Filed under: John McCain • Mike Huckabee • Mitt Romney
  1. Brad

I think Mike Huckabee's opinion is correct, yet obviously bias. The only reason why McCain's considering Romney is that Romney is Ann Colter's pick. If he made her happy, he'd make the conservatives happy.

As much integrity McCain supposively has, I find it ironic that he's the first to cave under peer pressure. Both candidates are fearful of election day. McCain didn't want to run a dirty campain, but McCain everyone is telling he needs to, so he finally gave in an went dirty. Because he went dirty so fast, it make you think he is the type that gives in quickly. I don't think this makes him look like a Maverick . Do you think McCain's still a maverick?

Obama/Powell 08

August 14, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  2. Writing in Hillary on November Ballot

Don't care what anyone has to say about the November elections, I am STILL writing in Hillary Clinton.

Obama tried his best to get Hillary to quit the primaries before all states have voted. She refused.

Obama's camp said nothing about his followers trashing Hillary Clinton in the media....and they did trash her right on CNN's forums.

That was enough for me.

August 14, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  3. B J

"Andrew August 14th, 2008 4:11 pm ET

Huckabee is a phony. What kind of "minister" runs for governor or even President? He has used his position as a former pastor for his own personal gain, and therefore, his supposed religious credentials should be taken with a grain of salt."

You mean like Jesse Jackson................

August 14, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  4. Denise

Go Huckabee!!!!! One of the few Repubs I like

August 14, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  5. AB Miller

Poetic justice hurts doesn't it, you bigoted Mormon hater. Take your prejudice Bible thumping and get lost.

August 14, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  6. Bob in Ohio

This isn't about Obama or Clinton but about all the ignorant juvenile postings by the McCainiacs. I am a Republican (or at least I was until about 2 months ago) and some of you people have so totally turned me off with your lemming like McCain rantings and your juveneile disgusting treatment of Ron Paul that I really am so fed up that there is no way I can support McCain anymore. If this is the kind of people he attracts (the kind of people who have posted so much juvenile garbage) then I seriously question if he is the right person for the job. I can't bring myself to support Obama, and there aren't any serious 3rd party candidates, so I guess I just don't get to vote this year.
    This reminds me of all the idiots who blindly supported George Bush— you see what you got. Well, I think it's about to happen all over again– and it's happening again with a Republican Pretty darn sad.

-Lifelong Republican

August 14, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  7. mod baker

Romney is the best choice for VP and McCain better pick a strong conservative. Huckabee would be among the worst choices, besides Joe Lieberman. Your 15 minutes was up a long time ago Mike, so please zip it already.

August 14, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  8. Jann, Denver CO

I would love to see McLame pick Romney! Two flip-flopping idiots on the same ticket!

Obama 08; 12

August 14, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  9. Out of towner

Huckabee sounds like a great guy and a wonderful neighbour, but he's definitely not someone I would want in charge of America.

August 14, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  10. james in florida

By the way, as you we all watched the Ronald Reagon Library debate. It was obvious to the entire country that Ron Paul and Hacuabee got ignored by the interviewers and were kept out of the debate on purpose.

It was a sham and people are still talking about it.

The Media is now in bed with the Government and is very corrput.

August 14, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  11. Jess

Tell them Huck- preach to them- then vote for Obama and his VP.

August 14, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  12. ben

I'd rather vote for Huckabee than for McSame. I will not vote for McSame/Romney, McSame/any running mate.

August 14, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  13. bd

Obama Sheep.... Bahh Bahhh Bahhh! He's flip flopping more than I expected. Where does he stand?

August 14, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  14. Jay from PA

just to remind all true democrats:
    When you hear posts from pretend democrats, who criticize Obama or Clinton, just ignore. They are trying to divide us. Don't let their evil intentions prevail. BEAWARE OF GOP hate engine, choo choo.

August 14, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  15. Jon

Technically speaking. Romney is an ordained minister also. I think this is Huckabee's religious bigotry.

August 14, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  16. Bill H

Mike Huckabee is a Baptist fanatic. They are the only religion I know that goes out of its way to antagonize Mormons. Incredibly Christian... not!

Romney has impeccable morals and value, a proven financial fortitude, and a sound understanding of what America needs today to be better tomorrow.

He's applying for a job to serve the people – not his own agenda! Of course he's going to be willing to change his position if that's what the people want. Do we want someone so stubborn they insist on their fanatic ideals "Huckabee"???

Huckabee just disgust me. Here's a clown that should start his own day-time talk show interviewing pregnant girls that don't know who the father is.

This guy WILL go down in history as someone who intentionally tried to destroy America because he didn't get HIS way.

An absolute joke of a candidate with a resume worthy of serving fries at McDonalds. Go back to living in your trailer.

August 14, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  17. Dave

Huckabee is nothing more than a 50 cent firework. He's got some pop and some flash, but in all he doesn't have much of a spark. He should stop trying to trash everyone else so he looks good, and try marketing himself for his own worth.

August 14, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  18. Brent

Romney is better qualified to lead the US than virtually anyone else currently standing in the public arena-better even than McCain. Mike Hickaboo's anti-Romney comments are barely veiled anti-Mormonism. When will evangelical nutcases like him wake up and realize that they're the ones who are worshipping the "wrong" Jesus? Jesus was tolerant and loving. Huckabee is anything but. GO ROMNEY!!!

August 14, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  19. Ryan, GA

Huckabee is a bigot. The Huckabee campaign gave out anti Romney material at local churches here in GA. Legal? Not even close. I am 100% Republican but would vote Bob Barr if Huckabee was the VP. I do have to add that the folks that had some education in GA, the ones with 4 year degrees, overwhelming voted for Romney, which highlights the fact the Huckabee played to the ignorance and predjudices of people here. Huckabee wasn't even close any where else but the South (and Iowa). He was never really a contender and is sore loser. Really he's just a plain loser as well.

August 14, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  20. Kathy M.

Yup, sore loser and sour grapes. Geez.

August 14, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  21. Larry D

Bitter former fat man!

August 14, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  22. Rex Carter

Huckabee is just a backwoods bible thumping lunatic.

August 14, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  23. Tyler

who cares about upchuck Huck?

August 14, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  24. easy rider

Right now I think this country needs to focus on issues a little more important than worrying about issues such as abortion and appeasing the bible-thumpers. Stick to church and tell your church members how to live their lives, and let the rest of the country decide for themselves.

I think Huckabee needs to go back to whatever hole he crawled out of and stay there.

August 14, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  25. m.

I think Romney will be a problem for Christian Voters, Mormons are not Christian they are a cult. If you really are a Christian you should find out what a Mormon cult is about it.

August 14, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |