August 14th, 2008

Huckabee slams idea of Romney as veep

Huckabee's win in Iowa derailed Romney's presidential hopes.
Huckabee's win in Iowa derailed Romney's presidential hopes.

(CNN) – Former presidential candidate Mitt Romney may be high up on John McCain's shortlist for VP, but Mike Huckabee suggested Thursday the Arizona senator would be wise to pick another candidate.

Huckabee, whose victory in the Iowa caucuses derailed Romney's campaign last January, suggested the former Massachusetts governor is distrusted among many social conservatives.

"I think the issue is that, you know, in many ways, Mitt Romney has had very definite swings of position, not just on one or two things, but on many of the issues," Huckabee said Thursday on Fox News.

Romney ran as a social conservative, though he acknowledged he was effectively pro-choice until 2004 - a fact that spurred charges last year of political posturing from many. Despite outspending Huckabee overwhelmingly in Iowa, social conservatives there resoundingly picked the ordained minister and former Arkansas governor.

Huckabee likely isn't making friends with the McCain campaign of late. In addition to criticizing Romney - now one of its top surrogates - the Arkansas Republican will reportedly attend a rally on the National Mall Saturday to push McCain and Obama to delve further into issues facing evangelical voters.

But Huckabee said he will support the Republican ticket, no matter who the vice presidential candidate is.

"I'm going to support our nominee," he said. "And I'm more interested in who the president is than who the vice president is, anyway."

As for his own chances of being named McCain's running mate, Huckabee said he isn't counting on it.

"I've said, for many, many months, now that I have no expectation that I'm going to get that phone call," he said. "I even have my cell phone turned off, as we speak."

Filed under: John McCain • Mike Huckabee • Mitt Romney
  1. Florida Boy

Looking beyond the mark! Please Mr. Huck wise up.

August 14, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  2. ejbeautyrama9

Wow, a southern Baptist preacher (Huckabee) and a Mormon (Romney). The world is in turmoil now because of religion. What if the Bee and the Rom would have been on the same ticket? The world could be an inferno by now. McCain is war happy and both preachers are hypocrites. When you put a retired veteran with dementia with pseudo-Christians that equates to disaster, McCain would have America fighting Iranian, Iraqi’s, Afghastans, Pakistanis’, Russians, and any other country that vaguely cross his mind. And the two hypocrites would be touting God Bless America; while wishing other countries are wiped off the planet. This would be the result of religion combined with dementia.

August 14, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  3. Nevada dude

McCain does not have any viable vp candidates. Romney? Giuliani? Ridge? Jindal? oh please. name any of them, and they will get torn to pieces. Huckabee would be a better vp than any of those clowns

August 14, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  4. bluesky

(Huckabee continues to sink to new lows. He puts a bad face on religion and conservatives in general, which is unfortunate. )

I agree – I'm a liberal but the conservatives have my sympathy, having to carry this dead-weight Evangelical base. Ugh. I can have a reasoned debate with economic conservatives (don't really agree with them but understand their point of view) - but social conservatives are just kooks. You can't reason with them. I think it's time both parties realigned and just ditched them.

August 14, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  5. ExPat

You'd think a man who considers himself presidential material could get his teeth fixed. Chuck Norris and Fox News care what he thinks. That says a lot right there.

August 14, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  6. Democrats Rule

To the sheep who insist on posting pure lies – for the billionth time – Senator Obama (soon to be President-Elect Obama) is NOT a Muslim – talk about folks who take pride in being ignorant – anybody who continues to post that nonsense is either a LIAR or too stupid for words.

August 14, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  7. Nick

I give props to the evangelicals standing strong to their moral convictions. As a Christian I believe there are moral rights and wrongs. Even though I will be voting for the Democrat this election, it's my prayer that conservative ideas still influence social and family issues.

Before you call the moral message intolerant check your definition of tolerance. (intolerance = anything spoken against your beliefs). If you criticize the Christians for speaking their mind you must be intolerant yourself.

August 14, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  8. republicans hate america

boring!

August 14, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  9. Charlotte

I will write in Hillary and I don't care if no one sees it or it doesn't count. I believe you should vote for the person you think can best serve this country. I don't believe Obama nor McCain will be the best. If it means one less vote for either of them, that is fine with me. I will know I voted for the best, and will be able to say, don't blame me, I voted for HER.

August 14, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  10. Diane

McCain/Romney = McCain loss. Romney has a history of not being a hardline Christian supremacist, so that bloc won't vote for him.

August 14, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  11. joanne

I would very much like to see Mike Huckabee in the VP slot with McCain. That would be a great ticket!!

August 14, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  12. Jack

Obama! Change you can believe it...........(in other words, left-wing radical Socialism & stupidity on the verge of Communism).

It's interesting how all you left-wingers conveniently gloss over Obama's filp-flops on a whole host of important issues.

Let's see....Obama's so called "energy plan" (the one that's written by left-wing ecco-terrorists, not based on the laws of physics). First he's anti-domestic drilling, then he claims that he supports limited domestic drilling -(well which is it)? Last time I checked, there's no such thing as solar-panel power airplanes.
    He doesn't support nuclear power either – and it's carbon free. So exactly where are all these new electric cars going get the electricity needed to recharge their batteries, while you left-wingers smuggly sip lattes at Starbucks? Again, those pesky laws of physics suggest that spackling the electric grids with wind turbines & photovoltaic cells just simply isn't going to cut it. Ever study something called AC Electrical Theory?! – try learning a little something about VARS & Frequency.

August 14, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  13. free4all

Aren't the Democrats divisive enough? Does the GOP really need Mr. Jell-O causing dissension? Stop being a Democrat and face the fact that your political career is over.
    The only reason Huckabee doesn't like Romney is because of his religion. You're not being a nice Christian. Are you not suppose to love your neighbor and mingle with the tax collectors and the like? Huckabee is the reason evangilicals have a bad name. What a terrible Christian. As evil as you are, you'd still be welcomed in my house. If you even had an ounce of political prowess I would have voted for you. But you don't.

August 14, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  14. J B Harpton

I think Romney would make a great VP and I think Huckabee is a jealous little geek. Huckabee doesn't like Romney because Romney would crush him in a steal cage match to the death.

August 14, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  15. Yupik1

Huckabee's playing the "Religion" card on Romney.

August 14, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  16. Tejano

The Socialist Democrats will sink with their Marxist Candidate.
    America may be ready for an African American candidate, but not for
    a Marxist candidate with no experience and strange bedfellows.

August 14, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  17. MaryJo Bruce Surprise, Ariz

OK, McCain and Obama are ruffing it. So now its the VP job and all the crap thats going to be going on. Fight, fight, fight. Slam each other. We all know who matter gets in. Its the congress thats really the ones that mostly decide everything. The President is only the head of the tapeworm...

August 14, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  18. One United States of America

The Republicans are running their campaign with a lack luster candidate, an endless supply of negativity, a couple of rubber bands, some paper clips, and a 1950's guidebook on how the cold war can motivate lots and lots of people through fear.

August 14, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  19. John, Virginia

Huckaby is a Republican Obama – smooth talker, empty suit.

August 14, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  20. Slim Pickens

Ya'll Crazy! I think you good for nothing Obama-luster ought to check in on your own blog and leave this for the real Americans who love freedom and good American values.

Lastly, Huckabee is a stinky chicken, he has nothing to do and is hardly relevant right now so he comes out with stupid quotes like isin right cher!

I think Romney's a great choice fer Veep, hill ifn' the old coot kicks it, Ol' Roms can step right in.

Republicans Rule! Obama's a fool!

August 14, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  21. Justin

I heard McCain was going to pick Captain Crunch...

August 14, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  22. CJ

If Romney becoming the VP candidate leads to William Jennings Huckabee leaving the GOP, then that's one reason to hope Romney becomes VP, in this Republican's book.

August 14, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  23. Christa

Ron Paul for VP! He'll probably turn it down, since it would rid him of his 10 year hold on a congressional seat... but I'd do the begging if I were mr middle of the road mcCain. He needs a real republican, I've only ever heard of one who's still alive. Ron Paul!

August 14, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  24. Richie Dowdy

Mr. Huckabee Would be the best thing Mccain could do to get the southern vote.

August 14, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  25. Harry

This Huckabee-Romney issue goes deep religiously. It is Mormonism versus Evangelical Christianity. Has little to do with conservatives and moderates.

August 14, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |