August 14th, 2008

Huckabee slams idea of Romney as veep

Huckabee's win in Iowa derailed Romney's presidential hopes.
Huckabee's win in Iowa derailed Romney's presidential hopes.

(CNN) – Former presidential candidate Mitt Romney may be high up on John McCain's shortlist for VP, but Mike Huckabee suggested Thursday the Arizona senator would be wise to pick another candidate.

Huckabee, whose victory in the Iowa caucuses derailed Romney's campaign last January, suggested the former Massachusetts governor is distrusted among many social conservatives.

"I think the issue is that, you know, in many ways, Mitt Romney has had very definite swings of position, not just on one or two things, but on many of the issues," Huckabee said Thursday on Fox News.

Romney ran as a social conservative, though he acknowledged he was effectively pro-choice until 2004 - a fact that spurred charges last year of political posturing from many. Despite outspending Huckabee overwhelmingly in Iowa, social conservatives there resoundingly picked the ordained minister and former Arkansas governor.

Huckabee likely isn't making friends with the McCain campaign of late. In addition to criticizing Romney - now one of its top surrogates - the Arkansas Republican will reportedly attend a rally on the National Mall Saturday to push McCain and Obama to delve further into issues facing evangelical voters.

But Huckabee said he will support the Republican ticket, no matter who the vice presidential candidate is.

"I'm going to support our nominee," he said. "And I'm more interested in who the president is than who the vice president is, anyway."

As for his own chances of being named McCain's running mate, Huckabee said he isn't counting on it.

"I've said, for many, many months, now that I have no expectation that I'm going to get that phone call," he said. "I even have my cell phone turned off, as we speak."

Filed under: John McCain • Mike Huckabee • Mitt Romney
  1. Kevin in Denver

No religious zealots of any kind should be even considered for the VP spot. I am sick of the sub human values spouted by Schmukabee or **it Romney. This country is doomed if that kind of spurious logic is allowed in the decision making process of the Greatest Nation Ever to be Created.

Sane in the USA

August 14, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  2. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

Huckabee has a point. Romney has been doing his Reed Richards(a.k.a. Mr. Fantastic) impersonation; he is very flexible with his positions. How could the conservatives really like him as a part of the ticket? He isn't consistant on the social issues.

I guess it would be okay since they aren't 100% okay with McCain either. He's been waffling a bit on some economic and social issues to say the least.

August 14, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  3. Jos/TN

those folk are no more evangelical than a man on the moon, if so what's going on in America, about as evangelical as Bush/Cheney, those same evangels, are running the mortage, banking, and energy companies Huckabee and others are misusing the word evangelical

August 14, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  4. Henry Miller, Cary, NC

"Social conservative" roughly translates as "bible-thumping, narrow-minded, superstitious, bigot" and I can't imagine why anyone with any sense or integrity would care one way or the other what such people think.

August 14, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  5. time for a change!

What he is trying to say is that Romney will not fit well with the evangelicals who don't like mormons. I hope you all remember the speech he had to give on his religion when he was running and how the people wouldn't shake his hand because he was mormon.
    If he chooses Romney Obama will win because people in WV and that area over there won't vote for him.

August 14, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  6. Ken

These neo-goons are a laugh a minute! Did Huckleberry really say:

Now that is funny!! While I do have to agree with that observation, why would the idiot bring this up when it is EVEN MORE DESCRIPTIVE of his presidential candidate, a person he claims to support????!!!! I mean really, Romney and McCain have flip-flopped all over the place, like a newly landed fish in the bottom of a boat. They seem made for each other. The other thing they have in common is that all the flipping and the flopping keeps bringing them more in line with the right wing and the ongoing, abject failure of that crowd.

Huckleberry, you have your cell turned off all right: YOUR BRAIN CELL!!

In fact, I think that ought to be a warning message outside of any [R] function: Please turn your cells off before entering.

August 14, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  7. Sampsonite

Keep Evangelicals away from U.S Politics. They have no business telling a country of 300 million what their morals and values should be. That is pure arrogance and bigotry.

August 14, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  8. Venus

Great! I love it! Let's see how Mitt handles this!

Sounds like Mitt should leave Obama alone and deal with Huck here!

He,he,he,he.... now who is talking about an internet date?

August 14, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  9. Barry In Las Vegas

Who cares what Hucka-whats his name thinks. The Dems were hoping and praying he would be the nominee because he has flip flopped so many times he makes Romney and every other Republican look like true Conservatives – which they are not, but they are better than Huck.

August 14, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  10. AMERICAN CITIZEN WHO RESIDES IN EUROPE

IF MCCAIN WAS THAT GOOD,WHY DIDNT THE GOP FIELD HIM IN PREVIOUS ELECTIONS.THIS MAN IS TOO OLD TO LEAD THE FREE WORLD.AND THIS LEAVE US WITH JUST ONE CHOICE,BARACK OBAMA.

August 14, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  11. Not fooled by distractions

Hmmm....seems that the same statement could be applied to McCain.

August 14, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  12. McCain is the man

McCain's short list is short, not because of narrowing down the possible VPs, but because so many are fleeing. Like rats on a ship, so are the days of McCain's campaign.

Also, what do you call a republican convention if no republicans show up? Maybe we should call it McFest

August 14, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  13. Louise

The more I hear Huckabee speak the more I dislike him. He's narrow minded, prejudiced, and sure to attract same to the McBush ticket.

August 14, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  14. Democrats Rule

Just one more reason why some 2,000,000 of us have sent soon-to-be President-Elect Obama our hard earned money and will continue to do so! Bush/Cheney/McSame – out with the lot of you war-mongering loons! President Obama – step up to the plate – we believe in you and trust you.

August 14, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  15. The Bush Twins : George and John

I like Hukabee, if he had won the nom, I would have probably(leaning towards not) considered backing him. ;-)

Go Obama !!!!!

August 14, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  16. Ron,Berkeley,Ca.

By the way, Mr. Romney lost his chances way back when,... when he appeared on a morning T.V. program, I think it was on MSNBC, he had his five sons on with him, and I just could`nt get the thought out of my mind , that at least one of his sons should have been in the military. After all, Romney wanted to be Commander in chief,did`nt he ?

August 14, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  17. T. Boone Stikens

Huckaboo is right; Romney is a bad choice for V.P., but who else is there? Personally I’d rather have Huckaboo as V.P. As a Republican I’d like to thank W for almost single handedly setting the GOP back 5-10 years. However, let’s be honest, Osama is not the better of the two men running; he will be bad for America. Oh sure he gives a good speech, but he has no core values. Or does he? Can you say “American hating Socialist” values!

August 14, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  18. Bud

Of course, he's wants to be the Veep. What a buffoon.

August 14, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  19. Mrs. McInostoch

Mike if you are vice president, McCain would have made a very wise choice.

August 14, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  20. Chut Pata

Ex-Republican for Obama : "social conservatives" Pardon, but isn't that an Oxymoron?

No it is not. It is opposite of "neo-con". In Canada they are known as "Progressive Conservatives".

For "neo-cons" "religious left" is also an oxy-moron. Maybe they believe basic Christian values like Charity and Pardoning are against their religions.

I voted Ross Perot because he was a Social Conservative and now I will vote Obama who is Religious Left.

I believe "Religious Right" and "Atheist Socialist" are neither!

August 14, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  21. McCain’s PHONY EXPRESS

Its funny how I always see comments like don’t vote for (gamble on)the Democrats/Obama …..its scary…..blah blah blah

To those who say this. Can you please look at the past 16 years.?With a democratic President things looked pretty good. We were able to stabilize our deficit and there were no crisis such as job losses and war. On the other hand, with Bush we had war war and more war. Even when it wasn’t warranted they still wanted war….we had job losses…..and home mortgage crisis and Orange Alerts …….and oil/gas crisis …..other countries hate America …..and so on.

So the truth is if you don’t want to gamble VOTE DEMOCRATIC!!!

August 14, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  22. time for a change!

Annoy the Media:
    You are an undercover Republican trying to split up the dems and if you are a democratic then you truly never was. What you need to do is go and look at Hillary and Obama's records and you will see that they voted alike on everything except for the war. So why would you want to choose a man who has nothing in common with your candidate.
    Your vote of revenge always come back to bite you. So before you pull that lever for McCain you need to study what he is truly about.
    If you still vote for McCain then that tells me that you was never a Hillary Clinton supporter!

August 14, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  23. Charlotte

I like Hucklebee, but I will write Hillary on my ballot and I have never written in a candidate before. My mom did, she wrote in FDR and we know how that turned out. FDR wasn't even running, thus the two term limit came to be..

August 14, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  24. Mcdonald

Oh McDonald had a farm (ranch) , ye ya ye ya -Ho HO Ho
    ( chickens, pigs, goats & oldies & goldies & grumpies & who else? )

August 14, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  25. Sherry, Atlanta

APPEARS. . . EVERYONE HAS ISSUES! ! !

August 14, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |