August 14th, 2008

Huckabee slams idea of Romney as veep

Huckabee's win in Iowa derailed Romney's presidential hopes.
Huckabee's win in Iowa derailed Romney's presidential hopes.

(CNN) – Former presidential candidate Mitt Romney may be high up on John McCain's shortlist for VP, but Mike Huckabee suggested Thursday the Arizona senator would be wise to pick another candidate.

Huckabee, whose victory in the Iowa caucuses derailed Romney's campaign last January, suggested the former Massachusetts governor is distrusted among many social conservatives.

"I think the issue is that, you know, in many ways, Mitt Romney has had very definite swings of position, not just on one or two things, but on many of the issues," Huckabee said Thursday on Fox News.

Romney ran as a social conservative, though he acknowledged he was effectively pro-choice until 2004 - a fact that spurred charges last year of political posturing from many. Despite outspending Huckabee overwhelmingly in Iowa, social conservatives there resoundingly picked the ordained minister and former Arkansas governor.

Huckabee likely isn't making friends with the McCain campaign of late. In addition to criticizing Romney - now one of its top surrogates - the Arkansas Republican will reportedly attend a rally on the National Mall Saturday to push McCain and Obama to delve further into issues facing evangelical voters.

But Huckabee said he will support the Republican ticket, no matter who the vice presidential candidate is.

"I'm going to support our nominee," he said. "And I'm more interested in who the president is than who the vice president is, anyway."

As for his own chances of being named McCain's running mate, Huckabee said he isn't counting on it.

"I've said, for many, many months, now that I have no expectation that I'm going to get that phone call," he said. "I even have my cell phone turned off, as we speak."

Filed under: John McCain • Mike Huckabee • Mitt Romney
  1. kelly WI

the world is too complex for an unexperienced no resume kid.
    I would vote for McCain, who has been to all those European countries and knows the players.
    I think Bumma knows he is in way over his head. It took him 3 days and 3 flips to come out and say he agreed with what Bush said.
    for the responsibilities of a v.p. I would choose Romney over Huck any day. We need grown ups with dignity and smarts not some one who has done nothing but collect gov. checks all his life because he couldn't get a job in what he went to school for.
    I would suggest you read other stuff than the CNN cheerleaders for Ego bumma.
    McCain 08

August 14, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  2. Luis

Sore loser.........................idoit.

Vote McCain or join the insane

August 14, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  3. Noelle

Why was it okay for Reagan to be popular, and not Obama? So only Republicans can have leaders that they like, but Dems can't do the same. Such hypocrites.

Obama 08

August 14, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  4. NowMcCain

Charlotte: i agree with you i was gonna go McCain however I think I will sleep better at night after I write Mrs. Clinton on my ballot. PUMA

August 14, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  5. VB Lincoln Park NJ

Straight Talk Express!!! LOL!!!

It should be called FLIP-FLOP EXPRESS!

August 14, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  6. Brian

The Republican higher echelons realized appeasing the evangelical vote doesn't pay off and dumped Huckabee. Sure it wins you one election, but when you can't overturn Roe vs Wade the evangelicals turn against you like snakes the next one: see evangelicals dumping McCain. Evangelicals are like forum trolls who post only on one issue. They vote only on one issue and don't care if everything else about the candidate is garbage.

The Bible Thumpers are seething that they're being ignored this election over raised atheist Obama and war hero McCain. Too bad religious nuts, you had your chance with Bush. Your naive view of the world that America can be the world's policeman is why the economy's in free fall. A businessman like Romney would never have invaded Iraq while a naive religious crusader called Bush did.

August 14, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  7. ANGIE

The dems and repubs are both having a mess this year!!

August 14, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  8. ClintonDem4Cynthia08

Both parties have failed to provide an acceptable candidate. That's why thousands of us have registered Green this year.

August 14, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  9. Texann

NOT Huckabee, please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 14, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  10. Marilyn

I'm a moderate Democrat who is trying to decide if I should vote for McCain or just stay at home in November. If McCain picks a "social conservative" who is an ultra-right wing, anti-choice fanatic, my decision will be made for me. I'll stay at home!

August 14, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  11. Xavier, Saint Louis, Missouri

Actually, I doesn't matter who McStooge pick. The GOP days are numbered. Less than three months away; America wants CHANGE WE CAN BELIEVE IN!

August 14, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  12. Maria

By saying this, it shows Huckabee is siding with the Dems. Romney will be the perfect vp selection, that's why the Dems have already come out trying to stop his selection. Huckabee is sliding in right behind them and where we all obviously knew his true views were.

August 14, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  13. Jon, Michigan

I think Huckabee's criticism on Romney is more political posturing for the 2012 primaries than for the current VP position. Four years from now, Romney and Huckabee (heaven forbid) might be the top two candidates for the GOP's bid for president. Becoming McCain's VP would surely pay huge dividends for Romney's bid 4 years from now, and Huckabee knows it. In the meantime, there is no doubt both will take every opportunity to sneak in a few sucker punches against the other as they battle for the future support of the conservative base.

August 14, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  14. Truth B Told

Who gives a Who You cross eyed fool!!!

OBAMA 08

August 14, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  15. Red

I agree – Mitt Romney is a terrible choice for VP. So is McCain for Pres.

August 14, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  16. Rocky

Old news here- must be a slow day.

August 14, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  17. MLH

Not a fan of Senator McCain, but Mike Huckabee is dead right about this one.

August 14, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  18. opus512

McCain doesn't need a VP to shore up the base, he needs a VP to appeal to the wider, moderate conservative independents that are going to make or beak the election.

August 14, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  19. Brian

Thank you, Huckabee, for giving social conservatives a voice. McCain would do well to listen to you, especially as he considers you his mentor.

August 14, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  20. JOE .B SALTER

i HAVE KNOWN A PREACHER THAT KNEW HOW TO MAKE MONEY HONESTLY.MCCAIN NEEDS ROMNEY NOT ONLY TO WIN, BUT TO SHOW VOTERS HOW TO PRACTICE ECONOMICS HONESTLY.
    IF ROMNEY IS NOT ON MCCAIN'S TICKET, I THINK I SHALL NOT VOTE. AMERICA DEFINATELSY NEEDS A CHANGE, BUT NOT THE OBAMA BRAND. jPE SALTER

August 14, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  21. Vince

It is amazing how the republicans keep touting Romney as some business guru. If the Romney campaign had been a business (which I think it was) the shareholders would have fired him. Chief amongst the factors one should look at when thinking or considering calling anyone a business man is his ability to sell. It could be a product to external customers, a vision/idea/strategy to the board of directors or mission to the employees. Romney is a total failure. He failed to sell the only thing that he might know well in an appropriate light hence his fall. People stop kidding yourselves, Romney is no business anything. While I am not a republican, Huckabee would have been a better candidate than what the repubs are featuring this year. What a shame

August 14, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  22. Obama supporter:White, 60 year old woman

The length of this election is waaaay too long....

August 14, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  23. Tony

Neither is fit to serve as V.P., just as McCain would be a disaster for the country.

It all depends on whether or not the American voter has learned anything over the last 8 years, as to who will take the White House.

If McCain should win, then the country and the citizens who voted for him, deserve exactly what they get.

Just a real shame that so many who can think for themselves, and know that McCain is the WRONG choice, will have to suffer along with them.

August 14, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  24. Eileen, TX

It used to be that we looked up to our Politicians for their many great attributes: courage, intelligence, vision, foreign relations ability, etc... I see some of those in Romney, but Huckabee has none of those qualities! I actually believe I could be a better leader than him. He can tell jokes though, but since when have we become a society that aims for the lowest common denominator? Grow up America!

August 14, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  25. Bryan

The entire goal of a "socal conservative" is to derail progress.

These guys are fighting a battle they will inevitibly lose. What's the point?

August 14, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |