August 14th, 2008

Huckabee slams idea of Romney as veep

Huckabee's win in Iowa derailed Romney's presidential hopes.
Huckabee's win in Iowa derailed Romney's presidential hopes.

(CNN) – Former presidential candidate Mitt Romney may be high up on John McCain's shortlist for VP, but Mike Huckabee suggested Thursday the Arizona senator would be wise to pick another candidate.

Huckabee, whose victory in the Iowa caucuses derailed Romney's campaign last January, suggested the former Massachusetts governor is distrusted among many social conservatives.

"I think the issue is that, you know, in many ways, Mitt Romney has had very definite swings of position, not just on one or two things, but on many of the issues," Huckabee said Thursday on Fox News.

Romney ran as a social conservative, though he acknowledged he was effectively pro-choice until 2004 - a fact that spurred charges last year of political posturing from many. Despite outspending Huckabee overwhelmingly in Iowa, social conservatives there resoundingly picked the ordained minister and former Arkansas governor.

Huckabee likely isn't making friends with the McCain campaign of late. In addition to criticizing Romney - now one of its top surrogates - the Arkansas Republican will reportedly attend a rally on the National Mall Saturday to push McCain and Obama to delve further into issues facing evangelical voters.

But Huckabee said he will support the Republican ticket, no matter who the vice presidential candidate is.

"I'm going to support our nominee," he said. "And I'm more interested in who the president is than who the vice president is, anyway."

As for his own chances of being named McCain's running mate, Huckabee said he isn't counting on it.

"I've said, for many, many months, now that I have no expectation that I'm going to get that phone call," he said. "I even have my cell phone turned off, as we speak."

Filed under: John McCain • Mike Huckabee • Mitt Romney
  1. Wanda

I'm not crazy about McCain or any of his choices for VP but anything is better than having a Muslim in the Whitehouse who would have about as much love for America as Iran does. I believe that at least McCain loves the United States of America and will look out for the best interests of our country. Obama isn't a patriot and nothing he says will change my opinion.

August 14, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  2. Sharon

I don't think in economic mess we're in that McCain needs to put another multi-millionaire on his ticket. Give me Huckabee. He understands in terms of filling the gas tank and putting food on the table.

August 14, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  3. Andy

Romney is a wise choice. It makes good sense to pick him as VP.A man who undrstands the economic issues and while few back him 100% he will not alienate conservatives or moderates enough so that they stay home come election day.as importantly if Obamma can be shown to be too far left Romney will not scare centrist Dems soem of whom may vote for McCaine.

August 14, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  4. Roofin Reality, Houston, Tx.

Mike, you have to toe the company line.
    But I like your honest answer.

August 14, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  5. John McShame, Obama Is Going to Tax You & Cindy, but Not Me & 95% Americans Making < $250,000/Yr

McCain's worth over $100 million... He owns 10 houses... He flies around on a $12.6 million corporate jet... He walks around in $520 loafers. If John McCain lost his Social Security, he'd get by just fine. Would you?"

More: "John McCain wants to gamble with our Social Security... John McCain started receiving Social Security when he turned 65. But now he has a risky scheme to privatize Social Security - threatening our benefits."

August 14, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  6. Shawn

Go away Hucksterbee. Any one who said publicly that we needed to put more of the bible in the constitution needs to be carted out of here.

August 14, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  7. Rudy NYC

Huckabee/Paul were my choices for a GOP dream ticket. Didn't care which guy was at the top, they were just my top 2 GOP candidates.

August 14, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  8. georgia independent

Although I agree with nearly nothing the man stands for – I think Huckabee is an honest man and this time he is very correct. Romney on the other hand is as close to devil as you can get – worse than Cheney or Rove. Slippery, lying, flipflopping... that's Romney.

I'd vote for Mickey Mouse before any Republicans these days...

August 14, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  9. Chris

McCain is too old and to if he even want a shot at winning, he needs to pick someone younger than him!!! I wouldn't even think about these two guys. McCain best shot is to pick someone other than these two!!!

August 14, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  10. New Jersey for Obama

Huckabee, Romney, Ridge, Leiberman, they all equate to disaster for mccain.

mccain could have all four of these guys on his ticket and still get pummeled in the polls.

August 14, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  11. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Hmmm, this spat is much less interesting than Hillary vs, Obama. There won't be any flaps at the Republican Convention. Hillary's supporters will show just how incompetent Obama has been at uniting his own party. I'm hoping for a repeat of 1968. Go PUMAs! Send that 'freshman' senator back to school.

August 14, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  12. SnakeDoc

Obama flip-flops more than anyone of the aforementioned politicians. I've served under 2 presidents and am saddened that these two men are the "best" this great nation has to offer at this point in time. I am a conservative and i've lived in other nations where a socialized health care system is prevolent and i see the negative effect it puts on the economy. I'm a supporter of the fair tax and would like to see the american dream prosper. Unlike some people, if I get hired on at a firm and my boss tells me that I'll start at 75K a year, then that's what I want to see in my bank account. I really hate getting taxed for 2 days of work out of 5 in the work week.

August 14, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  13. Joe, FL

Who cares!

McBush will lose anyway

August 14, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  14. Mike

I support Obama. I have to say that I would agree with Huckabee. If McCain wins this election, I would not like his VP to be Romney. There's something that I just don't like about him. He seems arrogant. As to Clinton supporters let me say that just because her name is going to be placed in nomination doesn't mean that the superdelegates are going to change their minds and vote for her. If people are concerned about how much time Obama has to make sure that he will win the election, just think about how much less time Clinton will have. She has not been putting a campaign together since she lost. In addition, why do I have to contribute to her campaign to pay off her debt. I've never even donated to Obama's campaign. It's not my fault that she wasn't able to keep her campaign in positive cash flow. I'm sorry but I will not contribute. As to Obama's VP choice, I think it should be Bill Richardson.

August 14, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  15. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Huckabee just needs to come out with the truth and say he doesn't like Mormons. Hypocrite.

August 14, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  16. Kelby from Houston, TX

I was not allowed to speak on the Obama 2 million donors article. I just wanted to let everybody know, I AM 1 IN 2,000,000

August 14, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  17. sharon thomason

DEAR SIR,

I TOTALLY DISAGREE WITH MIKE HUCKABEE. I THINK THAT MITT ROMNEY WOULD MAKE AN EXCELLENT VICE PRESIDENT. HE HAS A VERY LEVEL HEAD ON HIM IN BUSINESS. HE WOULD REALLY BE VERY VERY GOOD TO HELP WITH THE ECONOMY.
    WHEN MITT ROMNEY WAS RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT I LISTENED TO HIM AND HE IS VERY SMART AND COULD REALLY HELP WITH THE ECONOMY.

THANK YOU.

August 14, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  18. Annoy the Media, Say NO to Obama

To: time for a change!

Look what happened the last time we elected someone with minimal experience (the current Bush). Are you ready for another potential disaster? Since Obama really wants change, that means to me that he'll appoint more newcomers (ie less experienced) to try to run this country. Can we afford more ON THE JOB TRAINING at all levels of goverment, from the president on down?

August 14, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  19. no need to know

McCain and the rest of these clowns called Republicans haven't upto this point slammed that idiot and his book of lies about Obama and you want people to vote for McCain he won't become this country's President

August 14, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  20. dennis from chicago

what do you get when you put o bama and oprah on the sTAGE together IN THE TRINITY CHURCH TOGETHER......in front of REVEREND WRIGHT ... you get two ZERO'S ....... ROMNEY....CHRIS PAWLENTY OR HUCKABEE they are all okay with me....

August 14, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  21. Natural Herder

SHEEP!
    BAHHH, BAHHHHHH!

Here is WHO you let run for office:

1. A War Monger with great experience. We can go back 40-years and see his record.

OR

2. A Junior Senator with 147 days in office (not counting his "campaign" days) and no past working history. He is a ghost in real life.
    But he has two books; he MUST be "REAL." I've read it.. it was amazing.. blah, blah, blah.

Scary times are ahead either way. YOU ALL LET THEM GET TO THIS POINT.

Americans are hated all of the globe because we are ignorant and do not think for ourselves anymore. We have no conscious and we base who should be present on who has the better campaign poster.

August 14, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  22. Nicole T., Atlanta Georgia

The Republican Party are all losers!

Obama 08!!!!!!!

August 14, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  23. Carlos X.

> "social conservatives" Pardon, but isn't that an Oxymoron?

August 14, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  24. chuckd

It is so amazing to see this election turning into total KAOS. You have PUMA's demanding Obama head on a platter, like he has something to do with HRC's downfall. If you would like to blame someone then blame election staff for their bad management of her election bid. Sen Obama won fair and square. He has shoulder the blame for everyone's problems "blame the black man". So far i have heard that
    He can not lead/He is a terrorist/Has links to terrorists organizations/He took has oath as a Senator on the Koran/He has no experience/ He cheated HRC out of the Dem nomination/He has never been to Iraq or Georgia. Where does all this crap end. It is simple, there are 2 men in the race Obama or McCain. Some one has to turn this country around, Sen McCain has indicated that he likes things the way they are, and if voters think that there is nothing wrong in this country then they should vote for McCain. This country needs inspiration and someone to follow (rock star or not) and that man seems to be Sen Obama. We must all understand that there are and will always be race issues in this country. Puma's are willing to vote for John McCain because HRC did not get the nod. Sick!!! Remember Sen Obama got 18 million plus votes. He must have plenty of supporters, black, white, latino, catholics, jews etc... to garner that many votes. Let's all sit down and think about the journey we are about to take. No journey is great is if we all make it together.

CBH

August 14, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  25. Nick

Mary – Roe v Wade was decided in 1973. So unless the Republican party was founded after that how can McCain "be destroying the foundation of the Republican party and that is pro life" by picking a pro-choice VP?

August 14, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |