August 14th, 2008

Huckabee slams idea of Romney as veep

Huckabee's win in Iowa derailed Romney's presidential hopes.
Huckabee's win in Iowa derailed Romney's presidential hopes.

(CNN) – Former presidential candidate Mitt Romney may be high up on John McCain's shortlist for VP, but Mike Huckabee suggested Thursday the Arizona senator would be wise to pick another candidate.

Huckabee, whose victory in the Iowa caucuses derailed Romney's campaign last January, suggested the former Massachusetts governor is distrusted among many social conservatives.

Romney ran as a social conservative, though he acknowledged he was effectively pro-choice until 2004 - a fact that spurred charges last year of political posturing from many. Despite outspending Huckabee overwhelmingly in Iowa, social conservatives there resoundingly picked the ordained minister and former Arkansas governor.

Huckabee likely isn't making friends with the McCain campaign of late. In addition to criticizing Romney - now one of its top surrogates - the Arkansas Republican will reportedly attend a rally on the National Mall Saturday to push McCain and Obama to delve further into issues facing evangelical voters.

But Huckabee said he will support the Republican ticket, no matter who the vice presidential candidate is.

"I'm going to support our nominee," he said. "And I'm more interested in who the president is than who the vice president is, anyway."

As for his own chances of being named McCain's running mate, Huckabee said he isn't counting on it.

"I've said, for many, many months, now that I have no expectation that I'm going to get that phone call," he said. "I even have my cell phone turned off, as we speak."

Filed under: John McCain • Mike Huckabee • Mitt Romney
  1. We miss you already, George W.

McCain needs to pick an actual Republican as his vice-presidential running mate, so there will be a Republican on the ticket. If you look closely, the policies of McCain and Obama are quite similar. The difference? McCain has more than 30 years of political experience, while Obama has 143 DAYS.

Voting for Obama is like trying to cure dandruff with a guillotine. Come on. Isn't McCain far enough to the left for you liberals? Whoever wins this presidential election, the country will take a strong lurch to the left, which should prevent the left-wing elitists from crying in their martinis. Right?

Our only real hope is a Bob Barr presidency, but unfortunately the citizens of the United States are too short-sighted and narrow-minded to...oh, nevermind.

Check things out a few months after inauguration day, and tell me if you find yourself thinking, "Boy, do I miss George W."

August 14, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  2. Ex-Obama Democrat for McCain

Gee and I thought Hillary was a sore loser--this guy held out during the primary (even when it was obvious McCain had the numbers for nomination) only because he was trying to "best" Romney and get more delegates. He lost, fair and square, so now he has to suck it up, be a good little Republican and let McCain make his choice (and not diminish his choice). I wonder if Obama called him and stoked the fire by aggravting Huck's hate of Romney..?....all's fair in love and politics.
    Kathryn Amherst MA

August 14, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  3. john williams san diego, ca.

romney is o.k. but if huckabee is even considered for any cabinet position, i'll save my vote for another day.

August 14, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  4. Christopher In TN

A stump jumper or a flip-flopping game show host for VP. And I thought the democrats were stupid!

August 14, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  5. auntiecoosa

Huckabee is from Arkansas, the land of Tyson Foods, Wal-Mart, Bill and Hilary Clinton and Mena.

He should just be quiet and stop flapping his lips. He's had his 15 minutes of fame.

John S McCain brings Military Service, Integrity, Honesty, Experience, and proven Leadership to the Presidential elections. What does Barry Soetoro-Obama bring? Nothing of record. No one can find any paperwork that indicates what he did as a Senator from Illinois. As a Senator, he's missed some crucial votes because he was too busy politicking. Face it, Barry Soetoro-Obama has absolutely nothing to qualify him for the Senate, much less for running for President.

Oh, and John S McCain has a sense of humor. Barry Soetoro-Obama gets offended too easily and can't take a joke.

John S McCain in 2008!

August 14, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  6. John in Lincoln

Transalation: Romney is a Morman. I don't like Mormans.

August 14, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  7. Alex - Texas For OBAMA

I like Huckabee... Stands up for what he believes in. But, OBAMA/Bidden 08'!!!

August 14, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  8. Brian

I think Romney would be way better than Huckabee, don't you remember Huck a chuck's positions and how incredibly uneducated he is, he scared me. He had truly no common sense for how the economy works.

August 14, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  9. Griff

Loyalty: Mr Huckabee.. You would have wanted it... Now give it to John..
    Don't be a Spoiler...

August 14, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  10. JED

Strange? Is Huckabee now 'talking' because he has insider info that 'The One' (McCain of course) did not pick him as VP. He sounds like a sour loser. Wow.

August 14, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  11. OHIO FOR MCCAIN !!

OH How the Demagog Libs would Love for their to be fighting in this party.. Sorry LIBS, The GOP consist of GROWN UPS, unlike yourselves.

August 14, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  12. Lost (maybe) in CNN Moderation

"I think the issue is that, you know, in many ways, Mitt Romney has had very definite swings of position, not just on one or two things, but on many of the issues," Huckabee said Thursday on Fox News."

Based on that description McBomb and Romney sounds like two peas in a pod to me.

August 14, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  13. aware

You are right on Mike Huckabee!

No to the flipping Romney and his $. :(

Mccain 08! :)

August 14, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  14. ann

To all of you who are going to write Hillary's name in on your ballot, get over yourselves ! No one is going to see it, no one is going to care, it's OVER. If you do what you 'threaten' to do, you are simply NOT VOTING and taking the chance of another four years of the same.
    Grow Up and stop sulking.

August 14, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  15. MikeH

I think Huckabee is fairly honest, but I also think he is absolutely not qualified to be President. He is blinded by his religon, does not recognize the evils hiding within, the blood-drenched history of his chosen faith, and does not, or will not, understand what the Constitution is about.

Nothing against him personally, but he should keep his beliefs to himself and his fellow bretheren, and pray in a closet like Jesus recommended.

Well written article Alex.

August 14, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  16. Oscar

Who even cares what this guy has to say? What shocks me is how McCain continues to poll at 40% when he's clearly running on a purely dead Republican-brand platform that has ravaged the civil liberties of Americans and the economy of this nation for the last eight years! I really don't see what kind of change people are expecting when all McCain/Obama talk about is tax cuts without talking about bringing trrops back home and stopping spending $12 billion a year overseas!!

Seriously people!! If you really want this nation operating on a surplus rather than a deficit you need to consider bringing troops back home, and the only candidate talking about that is Ralph Nader!! Not Barack Obama, not Nancy Pelosi, not Hilary Clinton.

Nader/Gonzalez '08

August 14, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  17. Turncoat Republican

I think Huckabee is right. Political posturing is the hallmark of Mitt Romney. Last month in an attempt to vouch for his candidate -McSame and make Obama look bad he even termed the fight against nuclear proliferation a leberal agenda and this showed what lenghts he is willing to go just for political gain in the face of the greatest nuclear threat.

Some say Mitt Romney is a shrewd businessman so he will make up for McCain's inability to understand what makes it tick. I differ because McCain over the years has proved just to be as stubborn as GW. Secondly If business successes were his biggest qualifications for Veep and not his failed stint as a Governor, then Ross Perot should be President.

August 14, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  18. George

Huck's right. Romney is a pandering flip-flopper and would only hurt McCain's chances. I certainly wouldn't vote for any ticket with Romney on it. I don't trust the man as far as I could toss him!

August 14, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  19. Phil Newton Murphy, Oregon

It doesn't matter. This ticket won't be in the White House.

August 14, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  20. Task

Oh just finish it and pick Sarah Palin for VP. Get some youth on the ticket and a bit of eye candy is desperately needed to defeat Obama.

August 14, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  21. Rainer

I like how people are screaming about "trouble" in the Republican camp when Billary and Nobama are still fighting it out.

August 14, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  22. ERNIE HUGHES, JR.

HUCKABEE NEEDS TO FADE INTO THE NIGHT
    LIKE HIS CAMPAIGN.

August 14, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  23. wder

Even though I am a Republican, I am so tired of the "social conservatives," and the religious right, and their hypocrisy and their double standards. Of course, it's fine for them to be free from gvernmental intrusion when it comes to their religious choices, but it's not fine for anyone to be free when it comes to choices regarding what to do with one's body. Yes, they can scream and shout and praise the Lord and talk about God's love, but they can't seem to find a way to accept those who are Gay or undergoing an unwanted pregnancy, or even searching for cures for the most awful conditions through stem cell research. They label those people as sinners and blasphemers and degenerate and immoral. Frankly, I wish they'd go start their own party and let the Republicans get back to doing what they used to do best:: advocating limited government and responsible spending.

August 14, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  24. 18,000,000 plus the disenfranchised

I wish he'd pick someone better than romney,like Hillary Clinton,if she doesn't get the Dem. Nominee spot.

August 14, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  25. Latino in NY

It doesn't matter. A brilliant young second mate won't be listened to or given respect by the War Admiral McCain. Only older wiser people will do...hence I say Bob Dole for VP!
    McCain/Dole in 08!
    Almost two centuries of Experience!

August 14, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |