August 14th, 2008

Huckabee slams idea of Romney as veep

Huckabee's win in Iowa derailed Romney's presidential hopes.
Huckabee's win in Iowa derailed Romney's presidential hopes.

(CNN) – Former presidential candidate Mitt Romney may be high up on John McCain's shortlist for VP, but Mike Huckabee suggested Thursday the Arizona senator would be wise to pick another candidate.

Huckabee, whose victory in the Iowa caucuses derailed Romney's campaign last January, suggested the former Massachusetts governor is distrusted among many social conservatives.

"I think the issue is that, you know, in many ways, Mitt Romney has had very definite swings of position, not just on one or two things, but on many of the issues," Huckabee said Thursday on Fox News.

Romney ran as a social conservative, though he acknowledged he was effectively pro-choice until 2004 - a fact that spurred charges last year of political posturing from many. Despite outspending Huckabee overwhelmingly in Iowa, social conservatives there resoundingly picked the ordained minister and former Arkansas governor.

Huckabee likely isn't making friends with the McCain campaign of late. In addition to criticizing Romney - now one of its top surrogates - the Arkansas Republican will reportedly attend a rally on the National Mall Saturday to push McCain and Obama to delve further into issues facing evangelical voters.

But Huckabee said he will support the Republican ticket, no matter who the vice presidential candidate is.

"I'm going to support our nominee," he said. "And I'm more interested in who the president is than who the vice president is, anyway."

As for his own chances of being named McCain's running mate, Huckabee said he isn't counting on it.

"I've said, for many, many months, now that I have no expectation that I'm going to get that phone call," he said. "I even have my cell phone turned off, as we speak."

Filed under: John McCain • Mike Huckabee • Mitt Romney
  1. Joe Tyson

Mike Huckabee is a young earth creationest that believes the earth is 10,000 years old and that humans and dinosaurs walked the earth at the same time like we saw on the Flintstones.

Scientists have a word for these people: "Crazy".

Anybody that confuses a cartoon about dinosaurs with a documentry is unfit to have access to nuclear launch codes.

August 14, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  2. M. Winners, Mesa, AZ

The hubris and self-righteousness of these Taliban-like, political-activist evangelicals never ceases to amaze me.
    Here's Yuck-abee, the big loser in the primaries, talking like he knows how to 'keep the base".
    Bulletin to Yuck-abee: All those right wing-nuts who vote on "values" are a soon to be a thing of the past. Americans are tired of their holy-than-thou sanctamony and "we know whats right for America" attitudes that have done nothing to date except run the country into the ground and raise "wedge issues as weapons" to an art form...

August 14, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  3. Crystal

Obama08

August 14, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  4. Huckabee Ruckabee Donk

Saying he has no expectations for becoming McCain's VP is setting the bar too high – He has no chance for any position in any administration in Washington – ever. He is better served starting an Evangelical Rock Group - maybe "The Fallen Angels"

August 14, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  5. Pat in Cali

Obama/Clinton '08

August 14, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  6. jenny

Well since Hillary is going to be nominated I am not voting .. GOOD MOVE OBAMA !!!! Why don't we just all elect OLD MAN McCain now and get it over with. Save a lot of time and money. Sure am glad we all wasted our 6 months of elections so you can get the B nominated

August 14, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  7. Frank from Arizona

Huckabee's suppose to be an ex-Baptist minister. Well he hasn't learned his Bible very well, his prejudice is showing. Someone should send him The Book of Mormon. Maybe between the two books, he can learn forgiveness and how to love thy brother as you love thyself.

August 14, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  8. Tony

Huckabee not knowing when to quit, yet again.

August 14, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  9. No Hillary weasel

Romney you don't need a mike when you talk ,you dont have anything of substance either you just fallow McBush 2nd around and that voice sends chills up the spine not to even mention how wrapped up you are in yourself as if you are so important well you are "no Gods gift to the world " looser looser go away.

August 14, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  10. John

Flip-Flopping disqualifies someone for VP?

Not that this is news to anyone, but I guess this would make Obama unfit for the VP slot.

Of course, Obama can't even do the 'Community Organizer' job right.

August 14, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  11. JM

Okay, I am probably in the social conservative ranks, and I agree with Huckabee – I would like John McCain less with Romney on the ticket. However, I would still prefer a McCain/Romney option over Obama/whoever. The real problem is (and I think most of America could agree on this) I don't really like either candidate.

My only solace is that it could always be worse . . . It could have been Hillary.

August 14, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  12. cityboy

Hey Huck, McCain rocks with the Dalai Lama now!

August 14, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  13. Cindy

I wish... Huck and Obama would run together. To me, they both represent the best of both sides of the fence.

I [heart] Huckabee, and I got a crush on Obama, too.

August 14, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  14. KN

The ordained Minister who wants Obama dead.
    Did the man he follows, Jesus, ever want anybody dead?
    I heard he rather brought dead people back to life.
    Fake Pastor, Shame on him!!!

August 14, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  15. J. Dean, a Republican from Juno Beach, FL

MIKE HUCKABEE, WITH THE HELP OF ALL PATRIOTIC REPUBLICAN SHOULD IMPEACH OLD MAN JOHN McCAIN, THUS ELIMINATING ALL POSSIBILITIES OF HAVING ANOTHER IDIOT AS VP.
    GO HUCKABEE YOU HAVE ALL OUR SUPPORT.

August 14, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  16. Goodson

We've heard how a succesful businessman Mitt Romney is, think it's time the country starts making profit, make Romney the CEO of USA inc. and Huckabee can be our chief priest, we really gonna need a lot prayers when McCain declares WW3. God save the Queen, sorry, God save us all.

August 14, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  17. EMJ

I thought the ticket was McCain/Surge 08!

August 14, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  18. DavidE73

This is a perfect example of how the media distort the substance of a report by its title, then try to fool people into thinking that things are different than they really are. I saw the Huckabee interview, and he did not "slam" Romney, but merely pointed out the problem for Republicans if they select Romney as VP, after which he said he would support him if he was picked by McCain.

But the powers who control the media are terrified that Huckabee might get anywhere power, and disrupt the corrupt status quo. So they do everything possible to paint him as a negative force. And too many people with only a casual acquaintance with the facts fall for it. The truth is that Mitt Romney is the useful pet of the immoral economic conservatives who will say or do anything to stay in power, including destroy the character of a good man like Huckabee, so that the privileged few can get wealthier while most Americans fall farther behind. Those of you condemning Huckabee are so, so foolish.

August 14, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  19. cara

Huckabee for VP would be McCain's best decision.
    His ideas on the fair tax act and health care made more sense than any other candidate, republican or democrat. He has a clue about these issues and has actual plans to solve problems. He doesn't just talk the talk, he actually walks the walk. It will be a sad, sad day for the american people if Obama ends up in the White House.

August 14, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  20. EMJ

Romney has nicer hair!

August 14, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  21. americaN for Peace

Huckabee is an idiot.

August 14, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  22. Benjanin,BC

I believe most reporters or whatever you call them on CNC are pro McCain;except for Jack Cafferty. Look at the hypocritical Lou for example, who calls himself an independent,but is accuall pushing the Republican agenda.What a shame.

August 14, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  23. Frank

Mike Huckabee is probably the only Honest one in the group, and that includes John McSame.

Love him or hate him, you have to admit and admire an Honest man. Nice going Huckabee.

Just as I have to admit, I won't be voting for McSame no matter who he picks. Very disappointing, McSame is the best we could do?

August 14, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  24. Republican for Obama

I hope Romney is the pick because he will scare the base off. His sleezy ways are a direct opposite of the 'Straight Talk Express'

August 14, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  25. EMJ

Any Hillary supporter who votes for McOld has no morals. And stop the freaking lies about 18million – a great many of those were the Repugs trying to screw things up.

August 14, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |