August 14th, 2008

Huckabee slams idea of Romney as veep

Huckabee's win in Iowa derailed Romney's presidential hopes.
Huckabee's win in Iowa derailed Romney's presidential hopes.

(CNN) – Former presidential candidate Mitt Romney may be high up on John McCain's shortlist for VP, but Mike Huckabee suggested Thursday the Arizona senator would be wise to pick another candidate.

Huckabee, whose victory in the Iowa caucuses derailed Romney's campaign last January, suggested the former Massachusetts governor is distrusted among many social conservatives.

"I think the issue is that, you know, in many ways, Mitt Romney has had very definite swings of position, not just on one or two things, but on many of the issues," Huckabee said Thursday on Fox News.

Romney ran as a social conservative, though he acknowledged he was effectively pro-choice until 2004 - a fact that spurred charges last year of political posturing from many. Despite outspending Huckabee overwhelmingly in Iowa, social conservatives there resoundingly picked the ordained minister and former Arkansas governor.

Huckabee likely isn't making friends with the McCain campaign of late. In addition to criticizing Romney - now one of its top surrogates - the Arkansas Republican will reportedly attend a rally on the National Mall Saturday to push McCain and Obama to delve further into issues facing evangelical voters.

But Huckabee said he will support the Republican ticket, no matter who the vice presidential candidate is.

"I'm going to support our nominee," he said. "And I'm more interested in who the president is than who the vice president is, anyway."

As for his own chances of being named McCain's running mate, Huckabee said he isn't counting on it.

"I've said, for many, many months, now that I have no expectation that I'm going to get that phone call," he said. "I even have my cell phone turned off, as we speak."

Filed under: John McCain • Mike Huckabee • Mitt Romney
  1. Gail

No one really cares who McSame's VP is going to be anyway. He's simply not going to win.

August 14, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  2. Veteran for Obama

Romney and McCain are a perfect fit. They have changed positions on key issues more than anyone and they are both very good at distorting the truth.

McCain/Romney 08 – "We will auction off our positions to the highest bidder."

August 14, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  3. Mike, Tulsa

Huckabee would be the good choice as the VP for the American people. He would definitely shore up the lacking support that Mccain has with the social conservatives and bring excitement to Mccain's campaign. Most of the people posting here are afraid of Huckabee getting on the ticket because they know he would energize the base of the republican party. So, they make little comments out of fear to try to undermine the importance of Mike Huckabee being apart of the republican ticket! Go Huckabee

Mike Huckabee 2012!

August 14, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  4. Mark Dover, Delaware

If McCain wants to win, he needs to pick someone like Richard Christie from Kansas, Sal Governale from New York, or Arthur Lange from New Jersey.

August 14, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  5. Gail

McCain=Draft. Do you have any 18 year old in your lives? Kiss them goodbye because if McSame is elected, they'll be off to Iraq, Iran or anywhere else McBomb-Bomb-Iran wants to start war.

August 14, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  6. Gail

Huckabee and Clinton – neither knows when to bow out gracefully. Both are making clowns of themselves.

August 14, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  7. Griff

How does it feel, Mr Huckabee. To live in a "Once Super-Power", to fine find "Russia", say "We are the Super-Power of Europe...
    Another "Adolph"? or another Russian. If you don't 'Gamble'! If you don't call the Bluff of Russia... I'ts just another Hollywood-Movie..

August 14, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  8. Andrew

Huckabee is a phony. What kind of "minister" runs for governor or even President? He has used his position as a former pastor for his own personal gain, and therefore, his supposed religious credentials should be taken with a grain of salt.

August 14, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  9. Tim in California

A couple of observations

1. Mitt the old Varmint Hunter has flipped more times than McSame. Hucklebee is right. it's to be expected. These guys are garden variety empty suits so typical of the republican party in the later part 20th century. They'll say and do anything to get elected.

2. Hucklebee....like most Republicans...fall into line whenever they are told to do so. Kinda reminds of a certain party in Europe in the 30's. Nevermind.

3. I think Hucklebee should indeed be the VP candidate....no wait a minute....I really like the Varmint Hunter, no Huckelbee, No Varmint guy.

August 14, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  10. Harry, Michigan

Shut up you religious freak! Stay out of it, whever happen to seperation of church and state?

August 14, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  11. MEOW!!

Don't worry Huck ...McAttack. won't pick Mitt ........He will make him look Older

August 14, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  12. Huckabee

I think he's right. I wouldn't vote for Romney.... But............... it really doesn't matter because GOD is in control anyway.

August 14, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  13. Texann

This isn't about Huckabee or Romney but about all the ignorant juvenile postings by the Obamabots. I am a Democrat (or at least I was until about 2 months ago) and some of you people have so totally turned me off with your lemming like Obama rantings and your juveneile disgusting treatment of Clinton that I really am so fed up that there is no way I can support Obama anymore. If this is the kind of people he attracts (the kind of people who have posted so much juvenile garbage) then I seriously question if he is the right person for the job. I can't bring myself to support McCain, and there aren't any serious 3rd party candidates, so I guess I just don't get to vote this year.
    This reminds me of all the idiots who blindly supported George Bush- you see what you got. Well, I think it's about to happen all over again– just this time with a Democrat. Pretty darn sad.

August 14, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  14. mike

Why is the phrase "social conservative" an oxymoron, as someone has put here?

On social issues – gun control, abortion, homosexual unions – I think there are still two sides. One is liberal; the other is conservative.

What Huckabee is alluding to is the split within the Republican party itself – there are some who value economics over traditional family values. And I think Huckabee is right, in that the latter group may be getting stiff-armed by McCain, who is a "moderate Republican".

Moderate Republican. Now there's an oxymoron.

August 14, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  15. Rick McArthur

Huckabee needs to go away... He is the spoiler that gave us McCain. He's done enough damage already. Romney in 2012!!!

August 14, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  16. steve

I think Mccain should choose Mr. Lou Dobbs as VP

August 14, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  17. danny

huckabee's a schmo!! he only says this because mitt is morman. what a shame that huckabee is more concerned with himself than the gop. just go away!!!!

August 14, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  18. MBFLA

Warmongers will bankrupt this country!

August 14, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  19. DavidE73

Regarding the comment that social conservatives want to prevent "progress", I have lived through the "progress" of the last half century, and I would gladly trade the cell phones, computers, and IPODs of today for the intact families, stable neighborhoods, and respect for authority that used to exist. Without them, America has no future. Too bad the kids growing up today have no sense of what they missed.

August 14, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  20. GEORGIA FOR OBAMA

OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT

August 14, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  21. Nissa

We don't want you either Hack.

August 14, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  22. Scott, West Chester, OH

Huckabee is a little nutty. I don't think he speaks for anyone but himself.

August 14, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  23. Jay from PA

"I'm not crazy about McCain or any of his choices for VP but anything is better than having a Muslim in the Whitehouse who would have about as much love for America as Iran does. I believe that at least McCain loves the United States of America and will look out for the best interests of our country. Obama isn't a patriot and nothing he says will change my opinion"

Well, just because McCain was caputured and held, doesn't make him a patriot because that was not his choice. Secondly, I can gaurantee you that he will only look out for his and oil company CEOs interests just like his buddy Bush.

August 14, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  24. Squire to Knight

For all you Hillary fans...you better vote for McCain, or she will never be in office. All Clinton fans need to vote McCain, so Hillary can win in 2012. CLINTON 2012!!!

August 14, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  25. james in florida

It no longer matters.

Neither candidate is saying the will make lobbying illegal. Neither is saying the will make outsourcing jobs illegal nor are they saying they are going to bring our jobs home. Neither are saying they will redue all the corrupt trade agreements.

Until they start addressing this, they are unfit to hold the office of President and do not represent the american people.

God help us all