August 14th, 2008

Obama hits the beach

Obama is vacationing in Hawaii.
Obama is vacationing in Hawaii.

(CNN) – A network pool camera captured a shirtless Barack Obama enjoying the surf in Hawaii Thursday.

The presumptive Democratic presidential nominee is vacationing there through the end of the week.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Peter (CA)

CNN–do us all a favor and stop this.

Let the guy be. He is taking some time off at the perfect time and then can work through the last two months of the campaign.

All this does is give the right wing nut jobs an opportunity to make useless comments. Don't worry, the debates are set and coming....and McCain is already telling the media that Obama is better at debating than he is. Hmmm......wonder why he would do that?

August 14, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  2. Sherry, Atlanta

LOOKS AS THOUGH. . .HE'S ALL AMERICAN!

August 14, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  3. Bill Tampa

Hey CNN, How about showing us a pic of McShame and Cindy sunbathing on the beach at one of their 8 Castles....!!!!!!!!

August 14, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  4. Shannon

Our economy is failing, people are losing their homes, gas prices are through the roof, jobs are being lost, and where is Senator Obama....why vacationing of course.

What has this man done for us as a senator. I know he voted for the Cheney Energy bill, that gave millions to big oil, I know he voted for FISA that gave the government the go ahead to spy on us, and help destroy our constitution, but other than that, what has he done as a Senator. I know he doesn't show up to vote very often, check out Senate.gov, he has the worst attendance record in the senate, or that he usually votes present when he does vote, so just what are you doing for us Mr Obama.

Please explain with out using the words hope and change, all I hear when you say that is blah blah blah. Enjoy your vacation Mr Obama, most Americans are to worried about their homes and jobs to be able to take one this year.

August 14, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  5. G

And here come the elitist comments in 3,2,1 GO!!!!!!!!
    He's relaxing man leave him alone can't he spend time by himself and his family for once without you guys over analyzing it geez.

August 14, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  6. Leah DiMarco, Texas

Leave the man alone – he deserves a vacation!
    He is going to be working hard for the next 8 years as our next President of the United States of America!

August 14, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  7. Willow, from Iowa

BK, you said Obama was lazy. I'm just wondering how you knew that? Or just how busy you are all day every day 24/7 travelling and flying around the country for 16 months? I am willing to bet you couldn't keep up with even the old man in these campaigns. You'd have to retire to your ranch on weekends.

Enjoy your vacation, Obama. Rest up, enjoy your family.

August 14, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  8. FlaDem

Obama deserves a vacation, but it's time to come back and start the campaign again. McCain is getting too much exposure right now, and I'm sick of it. Come back Obama!

August 14, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  9. Vegas Barbie for Obama

Leave the future POTUS alone, please! The man needs peace so he can rest up for the shambles of a convention that has been turned into a pacifier for HRC supporters.
    Return safe and strong Barack! We need you!

August 14, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  10. Linda31

WHY IS THIS A POLITICAL TICKER??????? This has what to do with his policies????

August 14, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  11. Foreign Observer

Looking healthy and vigorous. Not news, I agree with my co-posters, but a welcome reminder of the man's physical fitness. Unless your George Bush, man with the most days away from the job ever, being president of the US is an exhausting, all-consuming affair, and while it seems curiously uncomfortable to point out that McCain is old, ill, and probably suffers from severe PTSD, in the interest of the nation, it must be a consideration.

August 14, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  12. Cathy

No one reports how up until this last weekend McCain never campaigned during the weekends...Obama takes the first real vacation in 18 months and it's headline news.

Obama will be well rested for the next 2 1/2 months of Republican attacks....and Obama will come out on top!!!

August 14, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  13. LAVAUD HOLD DESMOULINS, AKA THE C.R.J.

I AM PICKING UP A COPY OF HIS BOOK- THE BEST OF HIS. THEN, I WILL BUY ME A CUP OF COFFE TO SPEND A NIGHT READING ITS CONTENTS- HIS BRAIN; THEN, I WILL SAFELY PUT HIS CHEZ-D'OEUVRE SOMEWHERE ON MY BOOKSHELLS; THEN, I WILL RETURN IT JUST ONE-SINGLE-DAY BEFORE OBAMA IS ELECTED; AND THEN, I WILL BUY ME A BOTTLE OF RED WINE WITH THAT REFUND; AND THEN, I WILL LAUGH; AND THEN, I WILL SLEEP FOR THE FIRST TIME, PERHAPS.

August 14, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  14. Gail in SC

Please leave the man alone. No one criticizes John McCain for taking off every weekend except one since he has been the nominee . Give me a break.

August 14, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  15. California Gold

Obama is youthful, energetic, highly intelligent, diplomatic, athletic and healthy. A man for all seasons.

Contrast this with McCain: old balding white haired man with Vicks Vaporub on his chest.

August 14, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  16. Cindy

Equal treatment needed! Where's McCain's and Hillary's bathing suit pictures!

August 14, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  17. Martin California

It is a sad day for CNN. It's only news is that of Obama on the beach. WOW. Where has the cNN that stayed in Bagdad while bombs fell gone? It has now become a gossip munger that hawks lies and dishonesty from it's reporters who want to be pundents. What a shame.

August 14, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  18. Big D

It's great that Obama can relax – maybe this helps him keep a cool head. McCain has obviously over-reacted to the Georgia situation. I don't get how he can send him emissaries over to Georgia, without the approval of the actual POTUS. And why is he on the phone with the Georgia president so often? Isn't that really presumptuous of him to act that way when he's not the President?

August 14, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  19. Denise

I'd love to be an elitist and vacationing in awaii, again!

August 14, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  20. Geri

The family man flying around the country for 16 months. Every picture of him on vacation doesn't show his girls or even her nastiness. This is another photo op for him and I personally am getting tired of it. There is a whole lot more going on in this world than Obama taking a swim. Lets leave the crap behind and publish hard news.

August 14, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  21. KG

Looks like the water must have been too cold for his bony, liberal behind.

August 14, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  22. Dem

This is "News"?????

In other news, McCain sits down in a chair to rest

OMG >>>>>> CAMERA OP!

August 14, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  23. Meneka

Shannon....OBAMA is in Hawaii having vacation,,,,you should ask McSenile and Bush why people losing houses, jobs. Can we stop fighting in this blog after all we are all Chinese, I mean Georgian said McCain, I always though I am an american lol

August 14, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  24. Mike in NYC

Hard to tell from the above photo, but for his sake, I hope he looks better than in that other beach pic. You know, the one where he's coming out of the water. God, he looked awful in that one. Breasts and a gut. Ugh.

Funny thing is, there'll be no shortage of women (and men) who think he's "sexy."

August 14, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  25. Dave from Florida

Ah, I didn't know you had ANY idea.

August 14, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |