August 14th, 2008

Oprah to head to Denver for Obama nomination

Oprah hit the trail for Obama during the primary season.
Oprah hit the trail for Obama during the primary season.

(CNN) - Oprah Winfrey will be on hand when Barack Obama accepts the Democratic nomination in Denver – but the talk show host, who was a key presence at rallies for the Illinois senator during the primary season, won’t take the stage, a representative from her production company told CNN Wednesday.

The spokeswoman also denied rumors Winfrey was planning to spend thousands renting a home in Denver during the convention.

In June, shortly after Obama effectively clinched the Democratic nomination, Winfrey – who appeared with him in several key early-voting states, including Iowa, New Hampshire and California – said she was "euphoric” over his victory.

“I've been doing the happy dance all day,” she said in a statement then. “I'm so proud of Barack and Michelle and what this means for all of us, the new possibilities for our country.”

She added that she’d be happy to hit the trail again on his behalf: “And if he wants me to, I'm ready to go door to door."

1. candida

oprah can kiss my fat one....I will never support her, her programs, her material....nothing with her name on it......There is a group organizing now to openly boycott all of her program sponsors.......judahs

August 14, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  2. Matthew J.

Nahhh, B.O. isn't a celebrity.

sheesh, I can't believe people are dumb enough to support this clown

August 14, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  3. The Bush Twins : George and John

I'm sure she's happy to back the candidate of her choice, but I really think she should keep a low profile. Or, maybe I'm just jealous because I can't be there.

Obama '08

August 14, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  4. Ian

Oprah in 2012!!!!!!

August 14, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  5. Mike, TX

justjoe,

you are a moron!

August 14, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  6. MikeH

I don't like Oprah. While she may deliver Obama a voting block, she shouldn't put up on a pedestal, too pretentious. And besides, she gave us Dr. Phil, yuck!

August 14, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  7. Zaneta

Does McCain have any "relevant" celebrity backing him?

Seems like Obama is doing pretty good with people. I see his supporters aren't keeping their support quiet. Beyonce, Halle Berry, Oprah, Young Jeezy, George Clooney, etc....

Maybe McCain's supporters will open their mouths.

"Undecided First-Time Voter"
    (but seriously leaning towards Obama)

August 14, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  8. Texas Trail Dog!

HEY JUSTJOE-WHATEVER, I REMEMBER SEING YOU ON WWE A WHILE AGO...R.I.P LOSER

August 14, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  9. arc, Lugano CH

Never was a big fan of Oprah in the past. This has changed some recently but I can’t say that I’ve begun watching her show. Honestly, I thought she was going to endorse Hillary Clinton. Must admit though, I was intrigued with the reaction that many women had towards Oprah after she endorsed Senator Obama.

I hope that Senator Obama's team are careful and calculating when they balance the weight of all the media attention with their campaign/policies. Even with all of the George Clooneys, the Oprahs, the Gweneth Paltrows and whoever else is backing Senator Obama, his team needs to remain very intensely focused on one thing.

Going for the jugular come Labor Day, finishing McCain quick, neat and pretty and winning the GE.

They can let loose and have all the start studded parties come November 5.

August 14, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  10. justjoe

hold the phone, NELSON Colorado Springs, co and george from minneapolis.....the perfect celebrity learns to keep his/her mouth shut. Who the heck cares about their vote anyway....and stay away from the mountain top...that's not the promised land....that's just smog...as in Obama's policy statements. (cnn....IF I FIND YOUR YOUNG OBAMA INTERNS VOIDING OUT THIS COMMENT.....AS OTHERS HAVE NOTED.......THIS WILL BE WAR.......)

August 14, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  11. R.I.P PUMA

WHO SAID SEXISM...??..NOW COMMON

August 14, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  12. Rudy NYC

Oh please don't broadcast your show from Denver.

August 14, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  13. June

I love Oprah! Glad to see her wisdom carries into politics.

August 14, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  14. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Celebrities of a feather flock together. Now if we can just get Paris and Britney, the cast will be complete.

August 14, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  15. Carl from MI

It was OK when Ronald Reagan was the biggest celebrity in the world, because he was a REPUBLICAN!!! Now it's a BAD THING!! I'm sure if President Reagan was still alive right now, he's bust your chops!!!

Now you Republicans are trashing Oprah... but I'm sure you'd take the free car or free trips she's given out if you were in her audience during her shows. It's OK for wealthy people to back Republicans, but not Democrats. You Republicans are the WORST kind of sore losers!!!

August 14, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  16. Bibimma

People should think well before making comments. Oprah has the right to support who ever she want to. Because she is a citizen of this country. Celebrity or not everyone who claimed to be a citizen of any country must have the right to his or her freedom of choice either politically or socially. So please open your eyes and see the light.

August 14, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  17. Clare

This just is a big joke. Oprah is a racist too. Just look at her remark she made to that reporter when she opened up her little school not on US soil by the way...her and Michelle make the best of friends-they should, they have race issues against whites!
    I hand it to McCain, he has kept this a non-race issue and has not called on celebrities to help him. Look at all these people obama needs to use in order for him to win.
    McCain is the man for President. Obama only has his lack of experience and racial wife/Oprah on his side.
    Oh and if you don't believe me about Oprah-just look it up on how she didn't know she had to cater to the white people.
    McCain'08

August 14, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  18. Mad

Oprah really shouldn't endorse someone when she has many viewers-

a lot of people don't pay attention to politics and the issues and when they hear this they will back him blindly-like so many of his supporters already...

August 14, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  19. Jimmy P - Chicago

America has become the laughing stock of the Eastern World! They just sit back in disbelief and watch us destroy ourselves.

August 14, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  20. Michael

Is this the African American woman who keeps gaining and losing weight? The intellectual heft of the Democratic Party?

August 14, 2008 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  21. Caryn, Washington DC

Woo Hoo!!! This convention is going to be amazing.

August 14, 2008 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  22. California Democrat

That oughta' be the final nail-in-the-coffin for Obama!

August 14, 2008 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  23. Charlotte

Oprah, no doubt, will have her own key to the Lincoln Bedroom. If Obama were not black she would have supported Hillary. She and Obama played the race card way back. I have not watched Oprah since then. i will write Hillary on my ballot in November, to hell with the Dumb Nuts Committee.

August 14, 2008 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  24. Lisa

Oprah is a non issue in this election as far as I can see. This O we can do with out!!!!!!!!!!

August 14, 2008 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  25. Paul Dobro

Why does everyone treat this Oprah things as a big deal. She has not been at a campiagn event for 6 months! Even when she was, it was when his chances looked small and he needed the publicity. Now, he does not need it and not using it, yet the media consiers it news.

August 14, 2008 11:02 am at 11:02 am |