August 14th, 2008

Pastor: Not going to play 'gotcha' with McCain, Obama

The Rev. Rick Warren appears on The Situation Room Thursday
The Rev. Rick Warren appears on The Situation Room Thursday

WASHINGTON (CNN) - The Rev. Rick Warren said Thursday that his upcoming forum with Sens. John McCain and Barack Obama will be aimed at asking them tough "heartland questions."

The author of the best-selling book "The Purpose-Driven Life" is to interview McCain and Obama on Saturday.

The candidates will appear together at Warren's 20,000-member Saddleback mega-church in southern California.

"Well, I'm a pastor, not a pundit," he told CNN's Suzanne Malveaux on Thursday's "Situation Room." "One of the things we're going to do is I'm going to ask identical questions to both candidates, which will be different.

"I'm not going to play 'gotcha' with one candidate and not with the other. This way, it will be totally fair. You compare apples to apples," he added.

Full Story

1. Nevada dude

Rick Warren is not as bad as those other Evangeliclowns we have all come to know and love. you cant fault him for his christian ideals–he's a pastor for goodness sake!

with a substantial Christian audience expected to tune in, I hope we can finally clear up the fact that Obama is a CHRISTIAN, not a muslim, and that Democrats are not Godless.

August 14, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  2. David, Silver Spring, MD

Here's the one question the pastor should ask: "As president, will you swear to uphold the Constitution and faithfully execute the laws of the United States?"

President is not Pope.

It's getting to the point where they need to wear flag-draped crosses as lapel pins, just to save space.

August 14, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  3. Reality Check Richmond Virginia

deja vu? didn't this take place a few months ago?

August 14, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  4. True

Get religion outta here and keep it in the church not in our government. Why not choose a muslim leader instead?

August 14, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  5. Peter of Oregon

religion and politics are a very very bad mix unless you are an orthodox jew living in Israel. Both religino and politics in the United States are equally corrupt and often a tool of satan, the Great Deceiver.

August 14, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  6. emj

But then what will the MSM like ABC and CNN report about without some 'gotcha' stories. MSM – WHERE IS THE VETTING OF JOHN MCCAIN????????????

August 14, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  7. Debby

I don't really care for a gotcha game or this heartland forum for that matter Rev. Rick

August 14, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  8. FM

Seeing his position on gay rights, stem cell research and abortion- and considering those values to be more important than that which could be done for others, we already know who Rick Warren has endorsed. This will not be a favorable debate for Obama unless he flip flops again.

August 14, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  9. Xavier, Saint Louis, Missouri

Good. I hope it's fair, unlike what ABC and Clinton tried to do to Obama.

August 14, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  10. bridgette

I don't understand the point of this.

August 14, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  11. Obama/Hillary 08

God Jesus christ my Lord will come back to take us christian in heaven with him and in that day your social status will not be able to take you to heaven. You need to accept jesus Christ as your personal savior and water baptize to be eligible for heaven. George Bush, John Kennedy, Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton to name a few wil not go to heaven unless they have Jesus in their lives.

August 14, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  12. DR. YES

just dont ask them about religious junk!it has no place in politics!i dont care if your muslim,christian or jew or whatever.dont bring it into our politics.we have enough divisions without that!

August 14, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  13. Good Ole Boy

So will the pastor ask the messiah any tough questions, or can we expect this debate to be another made-for-tv liberal love-fest stopping short on real issues with concrete solutions when their emotional feel-good point is made. I suspect the latter, therefore I shall be doing something constructive that day.

August 14, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  14. Jenny, NV

Give me a break, this guy is so Republican. The only reason he's asking Obama to attend is to get more publicity for John. If he just invites John, it's a snoozefest. LOL

August 14, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  15. NoMcSame

Now we will find out how much McSame does not know the Lord. Have them both open in prayer. God will do the rest.
    After GWB got in the words born again never crossed his lips.
    Obama is with the same woman that he swore before God and man to love and has stood by his word til this day, can McSame say the same thing? No. McSame ran out on an injured woman that waited for him and took care of his kids until he got home just to have him run out on her with the rich one. Be bold and ask him about that and if you don't you and your church is a sham. McSame cannot be trusted.
    Obama08

August 14, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  16. M. Winners, Mesa, AZ

RUN FOR THE HILLS! Another one of the Taliban-like TV evangelicals pandering to the "values" voters and those that love to have happy smoke blown up their skirts.
    Despite all his high-minded dribble all this bozo wants is to make sure his books keep selling and that the chosen people – you know, the bible thumping, snake handling necon repugs – keep drinking his kool-aid.
    Besides, where does this self-proclaimed "preacher" come from thinking he's an expert on "homeland issues"? What hubris...
    If this sideways talking faith healer really understood what America stood for he would start with seperation of chuch and state and keep it that way.
    The only thing this quasi tent revival is gonna do is gin up "the base" for the repugs while diverting attention away from real world issues.

August 14, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  17. Dawn

The church is in Orange County!!! Hello–it's republican, rich, racist, red, and right-wing. Nice try pastor, but we don't buy it.

August 14, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  18. Orange

I just saw him on CNN, he sounds really nice and progressive, I am looking forward to watching. I can only say that in many cases of giving and being blessed, charity begins at home. Our goverment is also at present financially overextended and owes Americans to be fiscally responsible. At the same time, many blessed American private citizens are being very generous with their money, time and resources and are working hard to help the world's most vulnerable. I think it is time for other countries who have been blessed to step forward as America focuses on paying her bills.

August 14, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  19. Bushwhacked in Eugene, OR

Fair is good, but what is the point in having this man do it? Why a religious group of any kind for any presidential debate? I don't like it. I don't mind if evangelicals decide to vote for a Democrat this time - they're free to do whatever they wish - but I would care greatly if they expect to be rewarded with evangelical-style policy as a result, as has happened to the GOP for many years now.

August 14, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  20. JoAnne

Okay, so the tickets are $500, $1000, and $2000 dollars. Doesn't sound like a Democratic atmosphere to me.

Watch your back, Barack.

August 14, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  21. tim

This is SOOOOO ridiculous that it is infuriating. I can not believe these Evangelicals have so much pull. I grew up Catholic but am getting to the point where I can't stand these Bible thumpers. They are so ignorant. To think that anyone has a lock on the truth is beyond the absurd.

August 14, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  22. John in Ohio

He's a decent guy, I'm pretty sure he'll play it straight.

August 14, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  23. LYNETTE IN CA

I WILL WATCH AND RESERVE MY OPINION ABOUT THE FORMAT UNTIL IT'S FINISHED. I WILL COMPARE IT TO THE FIRST DEBATE ON SEPT. 26th.

NO MATTER WHAT, IT WILL BE GREAT TO SEE MCBUSH W/O HIS TELEPROMPTER AND LIEBERMAN, ET AL WHISPERING IN HIS EAR W/CORRECTIONS.

OBAMA / ANYONE BUT HILLARY '08 AND BEYOND!

August 14, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  24. William Stoner

I will be mildly pleased if the Pastor does what he claims. My personal feeling is that if all news agencies reported the news without their bias showing it would be a blessing. Stop trying to create news, just report news, I have watched all of the new agencies try and create news out of nothing because they have become talking heads.

August 14, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  25. Tracie

I don't believe him for one minute. He's trying raise money for McCain and push his Republican, I mean the church's views on everyone else.

This is so bogus.