August 14th, 2008

Pelosi not happy with some Clinton backers

Pelosi said some Clinton backers have been 'less than gracious.'
Pelosi said some Clinton backers have been 'less than gracious.'

(CNN) - House Speaker Nancy Pelosi suggested Wednesday some supporters of Hillary Clinton's White House bid need an attitude adjustment.

Appearing on a San Francisco radio show to promote her new book, Pelosi praised Clinton's actions since dropping out of the presidential race two months ago but said some of her backers have not acted so nobly.

"I think Hillary Clinton has been very gracious," Pelosi said on KGO radio. "I think some of her supporters have been less than gracious."

Polls have shown the majority of Democrats who voted for Clinton during the party's primaries will support Obama in November, but a highly-vocal minority has made it clear they won't support the Illinois senator under any circumstances.

One group of disenchanted Democrats have formed a coalition popularly referred to as "Party Unity My A–," while the AP reports Thursday other backers of Hillary Clinton plan to paper Denver, the city hosting the Democratic convention, with outraged fliers to express their disapproval with Obama as the presidential nominee.

Clinton herself has urged party unity, though she appeared to fuel some of the fire last week when she left open the possibility of placing her name in nomination at the party's convention. Critics have said that move would only serve to highlight rifts in the party on primetime television.

Speaking Wednesday, Pelosi also brushed aside comments made by Bill Clinton during a recent interview, during which the former president refused to say if he though Obama was ready to be Commander-in-Chief.

"I can't answer for Bill Clinton," she said. "It's hard when you're in a primary election. Losing is very, very difficult."

In the wide-ranging interview, Pelosi also had tough words for onetime Democrat Joe Lieberman, now an ardent supporter of John McCain's White House bid. The House Speaker called Lieberman's recent comments suggesting Obama has not always put American first "totally irresponsible."

Pelosi also said Lieberman, who still caucuses with the Democrats, may not be welcomed back by the party next January.

"The Democrats in the Senate are in a tough spot. They have 51 votes. Joe Lieberman organizes with them," she said. "In 85 days or something, they will have five more Democrats. They won't need him to make the majority. And it will be interesting to see what the leadership in the Senate, the Democratic leadership in the Senate, does at that point in terms of Joe Lieberman's chairmanship of his committee."

1. carolflowery

thought you were on vacation nancy, please, go on one

August 14, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  2. Rick Short

Nancy Pelosi is a brilliant and moderate democrat – and my Representative. These folks who disagree with how she operates simply don't like her and probably never will. She'll keep her seat by an overwhelming majority and also her Speaker of the House position.
    She does the country proud!

August 14, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  3. Mccain=Bush=Warmongers

Who cares about Clinton's backers she lost some people are just soar losers and can not accept defeat in this case it is worst because alot of those backers have been telling Hillary for Years that she would be President I bet they are at Home Hillary and Bill includen Hoping Obama messes up big so she can get the Nomination but that is not going to happen because the Obama campaign is well ran and can handle the pressure of campaging unlike the Former Clinton Campaign. Obama/Biden 08

August 14, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  4. sylvia

Hillary and Bill should not be allowed to speak at the convention. Her die hard supportors can go vote for McCain, but Obama will still win.

August 14, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  5. The Last Refuge of the Scoundrel

To al the PUMA's out there, I give you the words of Focus on the Family's Stuart Shepard, who along with you PUMA's will eveidently being praying for rain come convention time: "I'm still pro life, and I'm still in favor of marriage as being between one man and one woman. And I would like the next president who will select justices for the next Supreme Court to agree."

That would be John Mccain you PUMA morons. So vote away you vindictive crybabies.

August 14, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  6. R.I.P PUMA

CANT WAIT FOR THE CONVENTION .BRING UP YOUR SHOVELS!

August 14, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  7. tammy

I wished I lived in CA so that I could vote against her. I don't like her. I'm a dem and yet Congress hasn't done anything to talk about. I just may vote Republican next senate vote. (I voted dem in VA the last time.)

Oh...and last time I checked, I don't have to do everything my party feels like I should do. Who are you (dems) to think that you should be able to talk at me (tell me what to do) instead of talk to me (discuss and convince me)? In some ways, I really do feel like you are inappropriately taking me for granted. Shame on you, Pelosi and all others who are guilty of this, for doing so.

August 14, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  8. Lenny

It looks to me we have alot of hate from some people, who see the world one sided when it come to race. You ready don't have and issue with what Obama stands for you have a issue with what Obama looks like. The biggest issue you hate love have with the rest of the people who really vote on issue instead of the person is you can't get your way. You want everyone else to be as mindless and thoughtlessas you are.

August 14, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  9. Nya

Rob,

You need to grow up! Racial overtones in his speech? Please, he's tried to have an honest discussion about race relations, but as usual no one listens when they are told that they have work to do. It's easy to play ignorant to racial divides that are still present in this country and then state that someone else is playing the race card. Sheesh!

August 14, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  10. rachel

Where is my post? CNN post. Pelosi is a do nothing speaker of the house and people have the right to dissent they do not have to fall in line. Who cares if you don't like the fact that some hillary backers aren't supporting Obama. Who the heck are you? If they want to protest they can protest, if they want to hand out fliers they can. Also for someone who said Hillary supporters should have to prove their voting record. I would be happy to just as long as the Obama supporters do the same, and I would like to throw any lame person who is a first time voter over the age of 21 because why is that you haven't vote before did you not care about us before Obama came aboard?

August 14, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  11. Charles Douglas Lemay

Every single time I see or hear Bill or Hillary Clinton, I feel like
    a snake has just crawled across my foot.

August 14, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  12. dave

I voted for Dodd in the primaries, and if he doesn't get the nomination I'm going to vote for McCain. Why? Because nothing is more important than punishing the party of the candidate that I voted for and lost. Issues don't matter, just revenge.

Just imagine if these same people had been so concerned when Gore lost. Too bad Bush wasn't black.

August 14, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  13. jfs Memhis, Tn

Pelosi is right on this one. If these self proclaimed "disenfranchised" PUMA's are going to mess this up in Nov......they will have ruined the Dem's chances for the next 8 yrs. Hillary will be TOO OLD to run in 2016. You idiots will have ruined 08,12, and 16 !!! Not to mention adversely affecting A LOT OF PEOPLES lives that are depending on THE DEM'S to come through for the USA in 2008. How selfish can you folks be???? Remember what goes around comes around. If Dem's don not win in Nov, in a Year when you PUMA's you have lost your jobs, or your home is being foreclosed on, or you can not afford to fill-up your gas tank...it will be your own fault...AND NOBODY...not even Hillary will be able to offer help. It will have been TOO LATE. You folks need to get on the bandwagon and stop this nonsense.

August 14, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  14. McCain is the man

Pelosi doesn't understand hot headed women like my buddy John. He will listen to women and their concern. Of course when he gets tired of them he just dumps them on the street, but that is besides the point. As a proud republican I have already maxed out on my donation to McCain, and have given almost $1000 to PUMA organization. Keep up the good work.

McCain / Anyone but a women '08

August 14, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  15. Bryan B

Nancy Pelosi can kiss my....Nobody cares what she thinks. She has done a terrible job and needs to step down and get out of DC. In fact, I hope the crazy lady running against her wins.....Adios Pelosi!

August 14, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  16. Joe Reg

I think she puts her finger on what's been ailing the party and hopefully Democrats or Republicans they will fall in line.

OB/08 & 12.

August 14, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  17. G

Less than gracious is an understatement!

August 14, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  18. The Times They Are A Changin'

Speaker Pelosi's statement that "I think some of her supporters have been less than gracious" was in itself a very kind statement. The most rabid of the Clinton die hards crossed the "less than gracious" line months ago.

August 14, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  19. arc, Lugano CH

True Democrats, cross-over Republicans, Independents, as well as everyday educated and progressive-minded citizens in this country and around the world agree with the speaker of the house.

There is too much at stake to continue coddling the hurt feelings of those who are sadly intellectually incapable of grasping the whole picture and thinking globally.

Hillary ran a dishonest, despicable, disgusting sewer campaign. She couldn’t manage her own people much less her campaign finances. Why hasn’t her 4th Reich of 18 Million strong given her back the millions that they owe her?

August 14, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  20. Obama supporter:White, 60 year old woman

Let's face it: the Clinton fabnatics will never be satisfied and will declare "dictatorship" if they don't get their own way.

Bitter, sore losers who need to understand in a contest someone wins and someone doesn't. You don't get to replay the game!!

August 14, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  21. Lyle

Nancy Pelosi has snapped her cap. After hijacking the nomination process and choosing Mr. Obama against the will of voters, Nancy Pelosi and the failed leadership of the DNC should not be surprised that some Clinton (and non-Clinton) supporters are not happy with the current state of things. Mr. Clinton reflects the feelings of many millions of voters who feel that Mr. Obama is not ready to be President and he should not feel obligated to appease Mrs. Pelosi, Mr. Dean and the rest of Mr. Obama’s drones with empty praise. The DNC (O-DNC) has completely destroyed the Democratic process and wasted what should have been a golden opportunity to take back the White House. Why is Mr. Obama not further ahead in the polls? Why are there lingering questions about Mr. Obama’s qualifications? Why do Nancy Pelosi, Howard Dean, John Kerry etc. have to spend such a huge amount of their time defending THEIR flawed nominee? Mr. Obama is the wrong person to lead this country and voters know it.

August 14, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  22. Dee

Pelosi needs an attitude adjustment. She and the Democrats have been out of touch with their constituents. The Democratic Party is now all about people who don't really want to work for a living and just want their meal ticket handed to them.

August 14, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  23. Kurt in PA

No one needs to tell anyone how to think, but let actions speak for themselves. If someone is so disgusted that Barack Obama won the nomination, not only due to his superior organization but also to the fact that the Hillary Clinton campaign was highly mismanaged, then let them vote for John McCain. For someone that couldn't be less progressive, less creative, less respectable on numerous crucial issues facing the world today than either Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton, it makes me laugh that disgusted Democrats will throw away their pride and stoop so low as to cast a vote for the opposite of everything they supposedly stand for. John McCain, you can have every last one of them. I know my vote will be cast in principle...

August 14, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  24. Banned from CNN

Chris, NJ August 14th, 2008 10:09 am ET

"That's it nancy!! steer the attention away from the fact that your democrat congress has done nothing for our country!!"

How about the Repblican lead Congress for the first 6 1/2 years.

Please, they did even less.

August 14, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  25. Latinos for Obama

PUMAS GET A LIFE, PLEASE!

August 14, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |