August 15th, 2008

PAC touts Obama's faith in new ad

(CNN) - A political action committee organized by Christian voters who support Barack Obama will run an ad this weekend suggesting “the character and faith of each candidate” should be a major factor for religious voters making their presidential pick – and that the presumptive Democratic nominee may hold an edge on that front.

“Barack is a strong man of Christian faith,” Pastor Kirbyjon Caldwell says in first ad from the Matthew 25 Network, airing Saturday during the Saddleback Forum on CNN. Adds Catholic theologian Lisa Cahill, “He understands the pressure that families are under and what it takes to help families thrive.”

The group is hoping the ad helps bolster public awareness of Obama’s Christianity. The presumptive Democratic nominee has repeatedly emphasized his faith throughout the campaign season, as he battled back against false rumors that he is a Muslim.

Obama is the only candidate the Matthew 25 Network has endorsed this election cycle, though organizers have said they hope to expand their reach to other contests in future campaign cycles.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. bruja

Ignorance is bliss: YOU decide: Abortion or not? But you can only decide for you. Don't try do decide for other people!!!! It is non of your business.... I hope you are a perfect family man! But I don't think so: You are arrogant and ignorant!

August 15, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  2. Steve

Obama's religious pandering makes this democrat/atheist gag. I think I will be sitting this election out.

August 15, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  3. Jim colorado

AHH! Let the games begin. GO OBAMA GO! Puma is so lost .$50,000.00 in total donations stated by their great leader last night on msnbc. That won't even buy a fully loaded ,full size pick-up to haul all their supporters to the dump.

August 15, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  4. INDEPENDENT NOW

CHURCH AND STATE???? YOU RELIGIOUS BUFFS JUST DONT SEEM TO GET THAT THE REST OF US, DONT WANT RELIGION FORCED UPON US. I DONT WANT TO HEAR ABOUT IT OR SEE IT. THE LAW IS THERE TO PROTECT US AGAINST CHURCH AND STATE TO KEEP THEM SEPERATE. BUSH TOOK HIS RELIGION TO THE EXTREME. I DONT CARE IF OBAMA WORSHIPS SATAN... TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH IT SHOULD NOT MATTER WHAT RELIGION HE IS OR JOHN MCCAIN, STOP SHOVING THIS DOWN OUR THROATS.

August 15, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  5. Capt. Smash, Salt Lake City, Utah

Republicans can not be good Christians look at what they stand for.

More Pollution from fossil fuels

More Drilling destroying Gods Oceans.

More Wars killing for oil

More profits cutting taxes for the rich

More lie's like going to war for oil.

August 15, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  6. Lyn from TN

Obama is not Muslim. And even if he was... I thought every evangelical Christian's goal is to save souls? Why does your faith seem count an Obama's does not? Were you once a non-believer and came to know Christ? Geeze the guy is Church of Christ. That is about as conservative of a protestant choice that you can make. When I was growing up Episcopalian I had members of the Church of Christ tell me how sad it was I was not going to heaven because I was not Church of Christ. Walk in the path of grace, not down the path of hate. Obama shows he respects the faith of others. He will be elected to govern a land that is free to worship however we please. And I thank God for that!

FYI: I think McCain shows the same respect for other people's faiths as well. We must have a leader that respects all faiths in a land where we are free to believe as we choose. So lets drop this religious crap and talk about how to solve problems. I need to hear some REAL solutions from these candidates!

August 15, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  7. Anonymous

how christian is he when he dumped his church & pastor so he would look good to run for president

August 15, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  8. Nat

Kathy,

YOU support John McCain who shares no values that you do (if you've truly been a democrat for 30 years) over Barack Obama who, just like Hillary, defines democracy because you are a ruthless, bitter, sore losing racist! You can say it, you don't have to cover it up w/ the whole "unqualified" crap... you're not fooling anyone!!!

Obama/Clinton '08

August 15, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  9. Monica for Obama in Indiana

Another three pointer for Obama.

It's OBAMA Time!

August 15, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  10. karen-phoenix

Obama is a better Christian than McCain will ever hope to be. McCain threw his first wife under the bus and then backed over her. Womanizer that he is and then stole millions from retired people when he was part of the Keating 5. No wonder his wife CIndy is a drug adict. She can not handle the raging bull aditude she is married to. I want a good, clean holsome family in the White House this time and Obama is it. What a great clean image for our young families. Go Obama

August 15, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  11. Becky in Indiana

I too am voting for a Democrat for the first time. My grandparents would roll over in their grave if they new what the GOP has lowered themselves to.

Barack Obama has my vote. He has better family values than McCain and I want my president to be someone I can tell my children to look up to.

Obama for President!!!

August 15, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  12. Perla

Kathy, I understand that you are disappointed over Hillary's loss. But think VERY hard before you allow yourself to vote for McCain, who would close off access to safe, legal abortions and likely bomb the crap out of women and children in Iran. THINK!

August 15, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  13. Nancy

He has better family/commitment values between the two.
    It does take a high dignity and strong character.
    It can be seen.

August 15, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  14. jason, texas

I am also a Christian for change. Go Obama!

August 15, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  15. St. Louis, MO voter

Kathy August 15th, 2008 3:13 pm ET

Hey there "Richard from DE…

I'm a registered DEMOCRAT and for the first time in 30 years of voting I'll be casting my vote for the REPUBLICAN nominee for president!!

I am ashamed of the dirty tricks of the DNC…eliminating the best candidate with their flawed process .I support JOHN McCAIN because he is the only qualified person left in the race!!

Kathy,

The difference between you and Richard from DE is, he is basing his decision on the direction/platform of his party. Yours is based on your horse not winning. BIG DIFFERENCE! So you answer is "Hillary to show my support for you, I will vote for the guy that is running on totally different views than you" (end the billions a day spent in Iraq, Universal Healthcare, abortion rights, etc). Brilliant idea you have. I have a question for you....you think the DNC fixed the race for your horse not to win, will you just punch a straight Replubican ticket?

August 15, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  16. susie

How come the media doesn't do any research themselves on alllegations about Obama? Instead the media, takes what Obama's camp says as gospel.
    Where is Rev. Wright, I am sure he will clear this matter up. After Rev. Wright's latest speech we stopped hearing from him, is he still alive?

August 15, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  17. Joy Ford

Which is worst, condemning abortion or sending young men and women to die in Iraq on the basis of a lie. I'm still waiting for an answer from my self righteous Republican friends but the silence is deafening.

August 15, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  18. VT

1. IF anybody still thinks he is a Muslim, just don't vote.
    2. John McCain is far from a Christian, from what I can tell.
    3. Obama is a man of faith, and he is also a man who recognizes that we all have come short of the glory of God.

Real Change we can Believe in – Jesus Christ – Acts 2:38

For political, social, and economic change in the US – 'Obama '08

August 15, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  19. Lesley

Put the picture back!

August 15, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  20. Life long DEM done gone

Too much mixing of religion and politics for this true democrat.

Obama is forgettig the separation that keeps democracy alive.

He is pandering for every vote.

August 15, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  21. Phantom of the Oprah

I get my faith in Church. Governments role is not to impose faith but to protect it- or lack of it- equally

Politicians need to uphold the constitution without any bias and special interests wagging them around.

August 15, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |