August 15th, 2008

PAC touts Obama's faith in new ad

(CNN) - A political action committee organized by Christian voters who support Barack Obama will run an ad this weekend suggesting “the character and faith of each candidate” should be a major factor for religious voters making their presidential pick – and that the presumptive Democratic nominee may hold an edge on that front.

“Barack is a strong man of Christian faith,” Pastor Kirbyjon Caldwell says in first ad from the Matthew 25 Network, airing Saturday during the Saddleback Forum on CNN. Adds Catholic theologian Lisa Cahill, “He understands the pressure that families are under and what it takes to help families thrive.”

The group is hoping the ad helps bolster public awareness of Obama’s Christianity. The presumptive Democratic nominee has repeatedly emphasized his faith throughout the campaign season, as he battled back against false rumors that he is a Muslim.

Obama is the only candidate the Matthew 25 Network has endorsed this election cycle, though organizers have said they hope to expand their reach to other contests in future campaign cycles.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Richard from DE

I am a registered Republican and for the first time in 42 years of voting, I will be casting for my vote for a Democrat President. I support Barack Obama and I am ashamed of the dirty tricks of the GOP. My father would be spinning in his grave if he knew where his once great party is heading.

August 15, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  2. GoHillary

BEWARE of the Obama socialist movement.

I have lived in the UK and the only ones who benefit from socialism are the lazy and work shy who live their lives claiming benefits from the state and the workers and companies are taxed by an increasing number of stealth taxes.

August 15, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  3. Chris, South Carolina

It's about time someone shines a light on McCain's history.

August 15, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  4. deroy

they must be christians for abortion!
    look at obama's record.

August 15, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  5. Jim Schimmer

Nice.
    Spread the word.

McSame = McFear = McBush = McSUCK!

August 15, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  6. BJ, Texas

What Nobama a christian man? But he's Muslim. What gives with this people.

August 15, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  7. Sherry, Atlanta

MCCAIN'S INVOLVEMENT WITH 'SAVINGS AND LOAN', AND MCCAIN'S BEHAVIOR TOWARDS HIS EX-WIFE (CAROL), ARE FACTS ENOUGH, TO QUESTION ANY FAITH THAT HE MAY CLAIM TO HAVE!

August 15, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  8. Montana is Obama Country

I Believe..

I believe in Change..

I believe in America..

I believe in Barack Obama..

I believe I will VOTE for Obama in Nov. 2008

I believe we can..!!...Together...!!

August 15, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  9. Jim

This is great! I'm actually anxious to see this ad. Mccain is such an idiot.

August 15, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  10. Vincent

Serving up your wife in a meat market is not something a Christian man should do. I would never do that to my wife and if I did, she would kick me to the curb and take away my Harley.

I think McCain didn't know what kind of contest it was but his handlers should have and enlightened him. Both McCain and Cindy looked out of place at the rally...

August 15, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  11. G

Finally a positive Ad a nice change from all the negative Ad's o
    Richard from DE (good for you!)

August 15, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  12. JJ

Richard from DE: Welcome aboard! :-)

This ad couldn't have come at a better time. Since that sleazy, lying no good Corsi published that book that is filled with inaccurate information and just lies out the............

Go Obama!

August 15, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  13. concern

Bj Texas Thanks for the past last 8 years. This Guy can vote? LOL!!!

August 15, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  14. NEVEROBAMA

How can someone call themselves a Christian but still believe in Partial Birth Abortions? Do you think Christ would think like this? There is NO reason a woman should have a partial birth abortion. Abortion should never be a remedy for an unplanned pregnancy. So everytime you state A Change to belive in, really what are you exactly believing?

Please research Obama's life choices and the way he has voted in the senate before sounding so ignorant.

August 15, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  15. Obama supporter:White, 60 year old woman

It's all about his every day values that counts. I can hardly wait to see "deer in the headlights" McCain tomorrow night. Like Guliani and 911, I am sure the I was a prisoner of war and that is why I should be president will come up.

Full ad is on Huffington Post...Cnn only gives free press or links to McCain's ads.

August 15, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  16. DR. Stoner

I am pleased that Barack is a man if faith, most people are. Problem, he has been listening to "black liberation " propaganda for 20 years. He must have sat in the congregation and laughed to himself many times how these people sitting around him blame everyone for their mistakes, misfortunes, and under achievments. Hollier than thou, dribble from a racist minster, real estate deals with a known criminal down right friendly with a anti-semite, and the list goes on and on. Do I believe that Obama is a Christain, yes I do , Do I believe that he is Bigeted in his own private way, yes I do, his former preacher and now under the bus resident told the truth about Barack " he is a politician he will tell you what you want to hear" period end of story...:-)

August 15, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  17. Kathy

Hey there "Richard from DE...

I'm a registered DEMOCRAT and for the first time in 30 years of voting I'll be casting my vote for the REPUBLICAN nominee for president!!

I am ashamed of the dirty tricks of the DNC...eliminating the best candidate with their flawed process .I support JOHN McCAIN because he is the only qualified person left in the race!!

August 15, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  18. BHO: Ignorance is bliss

Obama supports abortion post birth..... no joke Obama voted against a law banning post birth abortions as part of the Illinois Senate... WHAT A JOKE... and this was around the time his childran were born... Some Family man

August 15, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  19. David from Ohio

Obama is not a Muslim. Try reading something other than propaganda. Richard from Delaware, you are the type of Republican that needs to take back your party from the wingnuts that have corrupted it and tarnished its historical legacy. We have our own problems on our side of the aisle, but the conservatives have driven the majority of the partisan bickering over the past 15 years.

August 15, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  20. empty vessel

Caldwell, you are going to hammer McCain for a joke as being somehow un-christian, but have no problem annointing the most pro-death, excuse me, pro-choice candidate EVER and the most current pro-choice politician in the country.

I beg you Obama folks to look at SB 1095 a bill that Obama SQUASHED himself that would have allowed for doctors to save the LIFE of an INNOCENT BABY that had the audacity to survive being aborted, he will not allow for the doctors to SAVE THE BABIES LIFE.

How about him saying that if his teenage daughters got pregnant he "would not want them being PUNISHED by having a baby".

Excuse me Mr Caldwell, how CHRISTIAN IS THAT?

Maybe he like "others" likes him for ONE REASON ONLY?

August 15, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  21. ANGIE

You know obama can thank the hillary campaign, And the republicans for all of THE LIES AND SMEARS THANKS HILL im confused the haters say how he sat in church spewing hate for 20 years in which it was a christan church but then claim he is a muslim YOU CANT HAVE IT BOTH WAYS HATERS!!!

August 15, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  22. Wisest one of All

Hussein Nobamas faith is in Allah! That and Hamas! Proven fact!

August 15, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  23. BR

Pretty sure the evangelicals and real christians will jump off this ship when they get past the rhetoric. How many black churches have paid for this ad?? Most of us with a clue won't vote for someone who strongly supports infanticide.

August 15, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  24. RASHEEDA

There are too many IDIOTS on this board calling Obama a muslim... It puzzles me how so many of you try connect him to Islam, yet also want to ridicule him of being too radical because of his affiliation with Rev. Wright...

IF you want to smear him, at least stay consistent. In other words, you need to take your pick.... Either believe that he's a muslim or a radical christian who hates America - BUT, the reality is that can't be both. Why don't you go as far as calling him a terrorist?

This is why Obama will win the election. Americans are tired of the old, dirty lies.

Obama for President '08/'12

August 15, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  25. Farrell, Houston, Tx

SHERRY IN ATLANTA: YOU CAN NOW NAME JOHN MCCAIN'S SON TO THE LIST, HE'S CEO OF A BANK THAT THEY ARE GOING THROUGH THE SAME THING. AND YES YOU RIGHT, MCCAIN'S MORAL VALUES IS NOT QUESTIONABLE, HE JUST DOESN'T HAVE ANY.

August 15, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |