August 15th, 2008

Rapid response: McCain ad slams Obama ad

McCain's campaign is respond to Obama's ad.
McCain's campaign is respond to Obama's ad.

(CNN) - John McCain's campaign hit back hard Friday at a Barack Obama television ad suggesting the Arizona senator is partly responsible for looming job losses in the crucial battleground state of Ohio.

In the McCain campaigns new 30-second spot designed to specifically counter the Obama ad, an announcer states it is actually the Illinois senator's policies which will hurt Ohioans the most.

"It's Obama's taxes that will hurt Ohio families," the announcer states. "Higher taxes on your paycheck, your life savings, your electric bills."

The McCain ad echoes another commercial from the campaign released earlier Friday that claims Obama's tax policies will lead to an "economic disaster."

Update 7:25 pm: The Obama campaign released the following statement in response to the McCain campaign's new ad "Maybe": “John McCain would rather distort Sen. Obama’s record than own up to his role in the deal that has put 8,200 Ohio jobs in jeopardy. The people of Southwest Ohio are quickly learning they can expect anything but straight talk from Sen. McCain,” said Obama Ohio Communications Director Isaac Baker.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. KENT in NC

Careful people. If McCain does not get his way he will throw a temper tantrum

August 15, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  2. GO MCCAIN

Ok–once and for all, it is not just people making over 250,000 who will pay more. CNN did a story a while back that showed each candidates tax proposals. My husband and I make 150,000. Under McCain's plan, I will pay LESS in taxes than Obama's plan. This 250,000 figure is misleading. Also, the Dems want to increase the federal gas tax. That will hurt everyone–not just the rich. I'm so sick of Obama's socialist ideas. He talks about 40 million people not having health insurance. What he fails to mention is that is only about 13% of the population. Why tax everyone to pay for 13%? This man is scary!!!!

August 15, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  3. Robert Burns

I'm from Ohio, so I out to know. The Republicans have severely trashed the economy of Ohio. Irrespective of Obama's plans for the future, the Republicans's plans of the past show that McCain is merely playing games..........as with the Georgia scam in Europe.

August 15, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  4. Who is Obama?

I know to many on welfare that do not need it. As a matter of fact all the people I know on it don't need it. The people I know won't work because they don't won't to loose there benifits. They lye to get the benifits and are hurting the hard working families.

August 15, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  5. S. Boatman

Knock Knock! . . . Who Is There? Its The Tax Man! PAY UP MCCAIN!

August 15, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  6. Max

Everything is going as planned for McCain. He is in striking distance of Obama and recent polls show he is gaining. The economy is slightly getting better and things going smoothly in Iraq, that gives McCain an advantage. People will soon understand Obama is just a bunch of talk.

August 15, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  7. Sandy - PA

Oh, and let's not forget about wanting to sell our ports to Dubai. Yes, McCain voted for it, and it would have happened had it not become public knowledge and been stopped! And also about McCain's recent campaign on behalf of oil companies to lift the ban on offshore drilling so the oil companies can rake in billion$ more, while we continue to struggle with $4 a gallon gas.

Something stinks – and its McCain!

August 15, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  8. dark days

Wow. McCain really is a joke. Keep the nonsense coming, John. Your bubble will be burst in the harshest of ways come November.
    Wouldn't you rather be fishing anyways?

August 15, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  9. Perspicacious Chicagoan

McCain has been lying like crazy in his ads. Check someplace reputable such as FactCheck which actually provides analysis on the news and tries to get to the truth.

I remember when CNN would provide analysis and try to get to the facts. Now CNN appears to be a McCain shill machine and would rather report falsehoods and believe by reporting what someone says (even if it is untrue) as acting as a journalist. Very disappointing behavior by John McCain and very disappointing behavior from CNN.

August 15, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  10. Raymond Duke

Go gett'em John. About time to fight back. Hillary did not listen to Bill and Mark Penn and let the sleaze that Obama put out with the crooked DnC cost her the primary. Like Bill said in one interview ; if you want to get down in the dirt and play that is ok with me ; I don't mind a little dirt.

August 15, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  11. Proud Veteran for McCain

Obama is a fraud – what makes you believe that he has really given up his left wing tax and spend roots? After he taxes us all to death and drives our economy deeper into recession – "Change" is all you have in your pockets – we need a seasoned leader to guide this nation – not a rookie who will need on the job training – Do not let your blind hatred for Bush – cloud your judgement -

August 15, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  12. registered democrat

Sweet McCain. I like it. Obambi scares a lot of people. Between voting present and flip/flopping it is impossible to know where this amateur stands.

August 15, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  13. Saada in PA

Obama will be our next President! This country wants and change and deep down we "all" know it isn't McCain.

August 15, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  14. The Real Deal

Mr. McCain, not so sure this is such a smart move for you. Mr. Obama can present a simple yet powerful rebuttal.

- – - – - – - – - – - – -
    Hi, I'm Barack Obama

You know, John McCain has been telling you that I'm going to increase your income taxes. Well, that's simply not true.

It doesn't matter if you make $50,000, $100,000 or $150,000. Under my plan, your taxes will go down, not up. And if you make a quarter-of-a-million dollars a year, you'll see no change.

Now, as President, I wouldn't have the unilateral ability to lower taxes, but I vow to work with the Congress to make these tax cuts the law of the land if you elect me President.

I'm Barack Obama ... and I stand behind you and your families... and I approve this message.

August 15, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  15. Sandy - PA

McCain is a Senator from Arizona – one of the states hit hardest by illegal immigration. Yet he will not even do anything to help his own state!

An estimated 1 million people and countless million of dollars in drugs cross the border from Mexico into the US annually. Yet McCain has consistently voted against any controls on illegal immigration, because of the cheap labor it provides to big business, and he has also consistently fought any effort to secure the border. 2 US Border Patrol agents are in jail today for doing their jobs and stopping a Mexican drug smuggler. The smuggler drew a gun, and the border patrol agents were forced to use theirs. The smuggler was given amnesty to testify against them, and they are in prison.

This is what McCain stands for.

August 15, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  16. Marie in California

First of all, Obama has no record to speak of.....a mere143 days in the Senate, especially when compared to McCain's 26 years of Senate service, can hardly qualify as a "record."

As for Obama's "change".....the only change I'll see is what little is left in my pockets after Obama riffles through them with his as*sortment of tax, tax, tax and more tax plans. There are many. However, the various American entitlement systems and even the Global Poverty Act will be glad to have my money, to do with as they please. Even though I've rightfully earned the money, and it's actually not all that much, I guess it wasn't really mine after all.

I think someone called it "income redistribution." I call it socialism.

NOBAMA!

August 15, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  17. Obama supporter:White, 60 year old woman

Why is McCain Whining/ Doesn't he have a sense of humour???Or maybe he couldn't see or hear the ad??

August 15, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  18. Cecil

Sen. McCain Continues TO Lie.

It's Been Proven Folks! Fact Check It. LIes Lies Lies And More Lies.

It's A Cut And Paste Ad, Full Of Lies!

Why Would Anybody In There Right Mind Believe This Ad.

Nothing Has Change. Sen. McCain Is A Bold Face Liar!

Thats What He Does Best, Lies.

August 15, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  19. Bayou Joe

Demos Tax Plan..

Tax them when they are born.
    Tax them while they live.
    Tax them when they die.
    Tax their heirs when they die.
    Tax,Tax,Tax,Tax,

August 15, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  20. Raymond Duke

Jesus ; why do you liberals hate people who now make 250,000 a year. My wife and I don't make that together. Close to it but not quite. You people sound like you are all on welfare or work at Burger King. Get yourself an education to make more money and move from wherever you are to seek better employment. I can not figure you people out . First it is the oil companies and fifthy rich people and now it has fallen to people making 250,000 dollars a year. Help yourselves and quite whinning. All you got to do is put forth the effort. The democrat party ruined a whole section of people by telling them they should expect something for nothing and hate everybody that has improved their lives. I guess all you white people belong to the republican party according to Howard Dean. He said the republicans were the white party. So i guess everybody that is a democrat according to his thinking is a minority.

August 15, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  21. Yupik1

No disrespect for John McCain, but I think his campaign is getting a bad case of alzheimers disease. Is it McCain or his campaign who's running for President? I guess that's why they call him 'Maverick.' All balls, no brain...

August 15, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  22. S. Boatman

More People Will Loose Their Jobs Under A Mccain Presideny. . . Fact Check It All You Want!

August 15, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  23. Erika, KS

The Obama camp has it backwards. It's Obama who keeps slamming McCain because Obama doesn't have enough (good) history to report. Obama doesn't have a leg to stand on. How many years have you been in Congress Obama? Oh that's right, only three, and half of that time you've been traveling all over the world preaching about "change." Right.

August 15, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  24. NickNas

I am sure McCAin had nothing to do with this ad. I have come to the conclusion that he is so far gone he couldn't think this up for himself. His latest quote.....

Speaking at the Aspen Institute in Colorado yesterday, Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) said that recent Russian aggression in Georgia is the "first...serious crisis internationally since the end of the Cold War." McCain seemingly ignored the Gulf War, 9/11, and the Iraq War, to name a few:

EVERYDAY he does things like this BUT YOU WOULD NEVER KNOW IF YOU ONLY WATCH OR READ CNN

August 15, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  25. HELP!!!

Charlotte–Hillary lost the primary, and gave us Obama, like McCain lost and gave us Bush. Lord help us through the next four years.....You survived 8yrs of BUSH!!! Obama will set you FREE!!!!

Obama 08