August 16th, 2008

Crowley: A warm reception for Obama

LAKE FOREST, California (CNN) – Two young men are here wearing Obama T-shirts inside out. They whispered to me they were told they couldn't come in if they were wearing them the right way.

But overall, Barack Obama is getting a very warm reception. A lot of applause, and laughter. It will be interesting to see how the audience reacts to John McCain.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Brian H

I have to admit I had preconceived notions of this pastor, and they weren't good. However, so far, he has asked mostly pointed and insightful questions. As a non church goer, I have been very happy with his moderation.

August 16, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  2. Elizabeth

Candy Crowley,
    Thanks for this info. You're the best and I think you ought to have your own show. If not, then Crowley for President!

August 16, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  3. TheTruthHurts

They'll love McCain too because these are Christians and they are supposed to love all people, even when they disagree.

August 16, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  4. benjamin

see you on the night of Nov.2 to gauge the imprtance of this games.

August 16, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  5. Karen

I had no idea there was a dress code for these types of gatherings.

August 16, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  6. pearl

Orange County is not considered South Central. Orange county represents stern, staunch republican's. Your average home cost above $600.000.00 before foreclosures.

August 16, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  7. Independant Thinker

Good

I was glad to see that the stage was neutral and that there were NO political signs any where.

A good neutral site.

August 16, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  8. nice

Very warm setting for both!

August 16, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  9. linda in illinois

So much for freedom of speech

August 16, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  10. ALL the facts please

Biased forum – Where's the freedom of speech????

August 16, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  11. Janice Crowley

I don't think this was a pro-choice crowd especailly if Pastor Warren is the host. The crowd was defiantely more pro life than pro choice. I think Obama was more personal and open and gave there ended answers. 1. What he believe 2. why 3. how he understands his and willigness to meet his opposition half way. Mccain was on his ordinary stump speech in town hall meetings. Mccain wasn't open at all.

August 16, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  12. DR. YES

obama seemed fresh and 'real'. mccain seemed like a tired politician.no offense.

August 16, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  13. Kris a Dem from MCcain land

I think it is a start of the issues debate for the general even tho this in not a debate. Lets sit back with a bowl of popcorn. Enjoy.

August 16, 2008 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  14. Roger from CA

That begs the question: were McCain supporters allowed to wear McCain t-shirts?

August 17, 2008 12:25 am at 12:25 am |
  15. aware

The warmth soon turned to disapointment as Obama parsed, equivocated and evaded! :(

August 17, 2008 12:44 am at 12:44 am |
  16. Dan

People were asked not to wear any clothing supporting either side to this gathering. Just to clarify it was not a one sided thing.

August 17, 2008 12:52 am at 12:52 am |
  17. Copperfield

I'm glad SOMEONE in that audience wasn't pushing for McCain...

August 17, 2008 01:17 am at 1:17 am |
  18. Becky Montgomery

I appreciate the courtesy of the audience of conservatives for Obama.

I just wish the two candidates had been moderated equally. No stump speeches?

August 17, 2008 01:45 am at 1:45 am |