August 16th, 2008

Crowley: Exit Obama

Obama and McCain crossed paths at the faith forum.
Obama and McCain crossed paths at the faith forum.

LAKE FOREST, California (CNN) - Obama wraps up. In all, he often slipped into stump speech material, but overall, but some questions brought some things I've never heard. He said he would not have appointed Clarence Thomas, basically because he thinks Thomas wasn't up to the job at the time.

This seemed like a very pro-Obama crowd to me, but mccain just walked on stage and people were very enthusiastic in the welcome. Obama and McCain shake hands and whisper something to each other.

Exit Obama... now for ACT 2.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. TheTruthHurts

As you now see, this is a pro-America crowd!!! They like both men because they're both likeable. Rick Warren is friends with both. McCain will do fine with the audience, but he needs to keep his energy up. He can't have Obama's energy, but please John, don't put them to sleep.

August 16, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  2. THE O

thats funny mccain has been giving all his stump speeches in this forum..

August 16, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  3. Linda Carpenter, Phoenix, Arizona

Baracjk Obama was brilliant! I am so encouraged for America that we can actually return to what America was before Bush has taken uys down the road to destruction.

McCain talks war, profts for war profiteers like Halliburton
    he talks drilling because he is funded by oil companies
    He has no ethics, no real faith. He cheated on his first wife and married an incredibly wealthy woman who its rumored he has cheated on too. He is fake, all talking points and can't answer a real question with an authentic answer. Just all political jargon. and someone writes that Obama stumped! What planet are they on and what coolaid are they drinking there?

August 16, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  4. Keith

McCain is direct and forthright. He didges no question. He is firm in his responses and not wishy-washy, walking the fence as Obama did during the first hour.

August 16, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  5. geoia

Barack Obama answered each question with thoughtfulness and it appeared honestly. Mc Cain is making his pitch he is campainging. He is basing all of his responses on his personal war experience allowing him to mainitain heroism.

August 16, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  6. Elaine Bunbury

Senator always manages somehow to slip in his acts of heroism and sacrifice whilst a prisoner of War in Vietnam. My husband was a P.O.W. in the Second World War, he never boasted in any way about his suffering as a prisoner of the enemy, from which he suffered for the rest of his life. I have no respect for those who promote themselves.
    Senator McCain has nothing to say about the wasteful cost of the war in Iraq, money which could be used to re-build America's education system, roads and bridges and fixing the economy which is a disaster as a result of the Bush/McCain policies. McCain acted aggressively in the latest problems with Russia and Georgia, instead of using diplomacy. Where does he think he will find more troops to fight a war with Russia?

August 16, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  7. women for obama

AS A STRONG OBAMA SUPPORTER I WAS PLEASED WITH HIS ANSWERS, HE WAS VERY THOUGHTFUL AND PROVIDED INSIGHT TO SOME THINGS I DID NOT KNOW.

August 16, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  8. Sharon McDonald

I think that both candidates fell back on "stump' speeches.

I really don't think that this was much help for voters. The candidates didn't say anything that we already didn't know about them. I can't see where this type forum made any difference although it was interesting.

August 16, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  9. CPO, USN(Ret)

After watching the first ninety minutes, Obama's responses were not near as 'stump speech' as McCain's. While I appreciate and honor his service to our country, can he answer any question without invoking his experience in 'Nam? One final note... I am not, nor will I ever be, his 'friend'.

August 16, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  10. Jim

I think they are using an applause device to make the applause sound equal

August 16, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  11. Mike Dallas

Where was that unpatriotic, heathen, John McCain's lapel pin?

August 16, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  12. J Williamson

Clarence Thomas was never fit to sit as a Supreme Court Justice – that was Republican window dressing, and it's shameful. Good answer from Obama, but I hope he's not implying that Thomas is "qualified" today – he has added absolutely nothing to that body, ether through questioning witnesses or by rendering opinions.

August 16, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  13. Victoria Brown

Obama was slipping into stump speeches? You must be watching a different show. It's McCain who is giving stump speeches.

I don't know who to trust. I thought CNN was as fair as the media gets. Now, I'm not so sure.

August 16, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  14. JoAnn Young

Did McCain slip into stump speech material??????

August 16, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  15. Karen

I would love to know what Obama and McCain whispered in each others ear.

August 16, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  16. J Williamson

Clarence Thomas is a shameful example of Republican window dressing – the man has brought nothing to that great body, either through questioning witnesses or rendering opinions. Obama was correct in his answer, though I hope he's not implying that years of imitating Rodin's "The Thinker" has made Thomas grow into the job. Don't think so!

August 16, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  17. wow

Candy,,,,,,,,,,,What in the hell was wrong with Obama answering the question with Clarence Thomas???? Would it have been more appropriate to name someone white?? What is with you?????? ??

August 16, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  18. Monica for Obama in Indiana

Well Candy, The Thomas thing was nothing new. And if you had noticed the people stood up for Obama, before he stood up.

mccain skirted around a lot of questions, but you will find among a lot of the medical field different opinions some say that birth does not start at conception, while others do.

mccain, Knew what he was doing. You forgot to mention that he played President Bush with Georgia tonight. How disrespectful can you be with a sitting President?

August 16, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  19. Independant Thinker

Obama stated that he would not have appointed Clarence Thomas because he thought that he wasn't up to the job.

Jeez, Thomas was a well know, very estute judge at the time and had a better record thatn Ginsburg.

August 16, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  20. Becca

Obama slipped into politics?! McCain gave canned answers and stump speech rhetoric – without thought. I don't want an "aw, shucks" president. I want one who thinks and deliberates.

August 16, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  21. J. Simmarano

Political analysts are saying that Mccain did a great job with this forum. my husband and I would like to know what you all were watching. Not only was obama comfortable but also opened a window into his soul. he let us understand how his religious belief affects his daily decision making. We also believe that his answers were completed responses where Mccain was all over the place. he would be asked the same question and his answers were yes or no and can I tell you a story. Mccains answers did not elaborate on the questions asked. i understand that he is a decorative military hero which is honorable and commndable but all his refrences were about his military service. I do not feel i got a personal insight into who John McCain is . Obama definitely drew us in.

August 16, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  22. P. Simmarano

August 16, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  23. Gaby

Obama was definitely on point , honest and answered the questions head on. McCain danced around it as usual. I wonder if he danced around his Vietnam war stories?

August 16, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  24. Robbi Bunten

I thought Obama was very thoughtful, and took his time in answering questions, because he wanted to be considerate of his audience and their views, while being as honest as possible. I think that McCain used the forum too much as a political platform, and less as a conversation. I felt he was basically there to say what he knew the people in the audience wanted to hear. And I cannot believe that none of you are mentioning the fact that he talked about the US being willing to fight for freedom of others around the world, and that no other country does this! (I don't recall the exact words, you would have to check the transcript.) Please someone, bring this up!

August 16, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  25. Gaby

Obama stated that America should lead by example and that is leadership and is willing to work with the international community. McCain does not lead by example and he showed it, through fear mongering, telling the same old Vietnam war stories.

August 16, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |