August 16th, 2008

Crowley: McCain seems to be winning over the crowd

LAKE FOREST, California (CNN) - McCain seems to be doing well if you judge by the crowd. Asked about his most gut-wrenching decision, he talked about refusing the Viet Cong's offer to release him from captivity out of order (the one who had been there the longest is supposed to be released first.) McCain, offered release because he was the son of an Admiral, said no. He just called it the most gut-wrenching but best decision he ever made.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. annie roboff

the crowd is pro republican party platform to begin with.

August 16, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  2. Terri in Fl

Actually Candy, I'm struck by the fact that McCain is so heavily focused on all things war and military. I know Bill Schneider in particular seems to be a strong McCain supporter – but the fact is – McCain seems to be stuck in war mode – it's time for changes.

August 16, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  3. The Nightingale Sings in Berkley Square

I am watching this program as I type and I am impressed with John McCain.

He is appearing very presidential and being his own man.

He is not beholden to Obama's crew of misfits.

he will protect our values and our country and not tax us to death as Obama wants to increase our taxes.

August 16, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  4. Shawn Broda

He's got a great personal story, but unfortunately it's all he's got. The reason he's so good at going against his party lines is because his party is usually wrong!

August 16, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  5. Reality

Actually, he probably didn't understand their question and thought they said ' should we release someone before you ?' and he said NO!!

August 16, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  6. Keith

McCain's experience shines through!

August 16, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  7. TN for Obama

"My friends, If I have to follow him into the gates of Hell I will get Osama bin Laden and bring him to justice .I will do that and know how to do that. I will get that guy."

Hummmmm....if he knows how, why didn't he tell George? Seems a bit selfish to me.

August 16, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  8. Anonymous

How did he know about the Supreme Court questions? Obviously he was not in a secluded room.

August 16, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  9. Matthew

I think he's winning over the crowd b/c he's actually giving clear, straight answers.

August 16, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  10. Keith

McCain: He's not stumping. Neither is he beating around the bush.

August 16, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  11. THE O

This is a total shame mccain was givin the questions ahead of time it is so obvious. I thought this warren guy was an honest guy. was I totally wrong.

August 16, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  12. Obama/Clinton

McCain does what he's always done best 'straight talk' backed up by over 30 yrs experience – Now's that someone who can talk the walk!

If Obama is as short sighted and small minded as the CNN pundits, Howard 'YEEHAW' Dean, Nancy Pelosi and Harry 'In Search light' Reid and the rest of the gender driven old Washington Cronies show he is, McCain wins California, Florida and Michigan WHOLE votes, takes Virginia Purple and Obama goes back to ole south side Chicago politics of shutting out people from the campaign that could beat him...sounds familiar

Thank you Johnnie Mc for trying a 2nd time – this time there aren't any smart side dirty filthy renching political types like Karl 'Going to Federal Prison' Rove, Dick 'stop or I'll shoot' Cheney or GW'my apple didn't fall that far from my daddy's tree' Bush...just some dumb ole Demoracts who despite your party ignoring the 5.3M people who have lost their homes and all our CHILDREN's future being sold out...the American public believe in Experience and believe in YOU!

August 16, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  13. Skeptical in AZ

McCain is campaigning not answering with any depth. This is a forum to sww what the candodates think, how they would react. All of McCain's answers have been based on a military repsonse- ban this, forbid that, attack or defeat. He has no depth of thought no real understanding and lifts pandering to a new and awful level.
    True, these yoyo's in the audience are evangelical's and not open to any sort of reflective or soulful thought and are a tailor made audience for this militaristc and warlike candidate who spouts political slgans they want tohear.. I'm no peacenik, but I want a President who thinks, and understands issues-he just weasled on what is rich! Yuck! He just died in my eyes.

August 16, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  14. Keith

It's obvious that Obama has difficulty without a script, thinking on his feet or sitting down. He stumbles along trying to find his way toward a pertinent response. McCain, however, is direct and has a stand. It's an old addage but applies during this political home stretch: Stand for something or you'll fall for anything. And there are plenty of terrorists and rogue politicians in third world countries who will lead Obama to the fallout shelter.

August 16, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  15. Piper

I do not like McCain's personal stories. He is not being serious on most subjects. I keep expecting him to break out into the Beach Boys Bomb, bomb, bomb, Iran, quip.

Obama took the questions seriously and answered them in the same vein. The moderator is acting much more friendly with McCain and McCain is responding in a down-home kind of way, but is not speaking seriously about issues.

August 16, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  16. Jason

His personal story is very compelling.

I think that both candidates are guilty of falling into "stump" mode, but it's a little more noticeable with McCain, and probably because it reveals that he's been the underdog so far, so when he veeres to his talking points, they're clearly more direct and aggressive.

August 16, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  17. Louis

Can Mccain answer a question without going into the War stories? Does it not seem like he is just saying what we want to hear? I mean it's just seems like he is not real, but playing on what americans always want from every candidate.

August 16, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  18. Nirak

One should not forget the audience comprises mainly of a Evangelists, It is to expected that Sen. McCain is getting the applause that you pointed out. However, I think talking about nothing more or less about his experience during the Vietnam War pales in contrast to the thoughtful answers Sen. Obama gave. In addition, who is interviewing whom? Senator McCain is trying to steer the conversation. The whole thing almost sounds like a campaign speech, defeating the purpose of this endevor.

August 16, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  19. winning them over

Why wasn't McCain asked why he considers himself a Baptist when he was never baptised?

Just my opinion but, I am weary of folks who claim to be Christian but have never truly committed to the faith. This actually applies to any religion.

August 16, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  20. Oliver

Cindy Crowley is now endorsing McBushSame like CNN. Nice job Cindy!!!

August 16, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  21. spiderweb

Yes, CAndy I think he is better in this setting and perfomed better than Obama this time BUT when you look at the audience or crowd...I don't think it was farily balanced. How much diversity was in that audience?????

August 16, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  22. Sabreen60

Where was the diversity in the crowd?? How many people of color did you see?

August 16, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  23. RyanD.

Cute, McCain can give a stump speech.

He got through all the questions and more in 40 minutes.

Way to give "in-depth" answers, Mr. Soundbite.

Obama 08'

August 16, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  24. PE

Go figure--every answer is war related, even when the question was about his faith. Get this mess over with please.

Separation of Church and State-–

August 16, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  25. ERIC, MN

Obviously he is winning over the crowd. Obama offered real answers to the crowd, some of which they didnt agree with. Most of McCain's answers seemed to me, to be looking for applause. He was just giving the popular answer for the crowd.

August 16, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |