August 16th, 2008

Crowley: McCain seems to be winning over the crowd

LAKE FOREST, California (CNN) - McCain seems to be doing well if you judge by the crowd. Asked about his most gut-wrenching decision, he talked about refusing the Viet Cong's offer to release him from captivity out of order (the one who had been there the longest is supposed to be released first.) McCain, offered release because he was the son of an Admiral, said no. He just called it the most gut-wrenching but best decision he ever made.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Ilona Hussein Proud Canadian

OF COURSE HE DOES!

DO YOU THINK THAT PEOPLE ARE SO IGNORANT AS NOT TO REALIZE THAT JOHN McCAIN WAS FED THE QUESTIONS BEFORE THE SESSION!

GIVE ME A BREAK! THIS OLD COOT WOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN ABLE TO ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS IF HE HAD NOT KNOWN ABOUT THE QUESTIONS BEFORE THIS FARCE OF AN INTERVIEW!

August 16, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  2. Upon Further Review

This guy needs to pay taxes.

August 16, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  3. Docallen001

He neglected to note that if he had agreed, he would have been considered a traitor by the rest of the prisoners. So I don't think it was a very difficult decision on his part.

August 16, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  4. Anonymous

McCain is a fake...fake smile, fake answers, etc. I'm sorry but being a Prisoner of War does NOT make you a good President. Love the way he brought that up. On the issue of Education and Merit Pay, John McCain is extremely out of touch with teachers. Does he really believe "bad" schools are the result of "bad" teachers? He sounded like a fool. Does he also realize that Principals can make or break a teacher's career based on their evaluation? Many Principals have "favorites" and if you aren't in the group, they can give you "average" marks even if you are an outstanding teacher. This goes on everywhere!!!! Hey, let's try giving the parents some accountability...how about encouraging completion of homework, showing up to school on time and each day, showing respect for other students, teachers and etc. I can tell you what's failing in the schools and it is NOT the teachers!!!

August 16, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  5. Ilona Hussein Proud Canadian

REV. WARREN, SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 16, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  6. R.Brauch

Did u listen??? who is thinking about the future generation..and who is only concerned about his own election before he is too old to enjoy his enterance, and concern about the future of our great country, into His history books...!!! If u are happy, and financially secure w/the past...there's got to be a god 4 u to thank::..BUSH...if not..And.are u concerned enough 4 the hope 4 a better life?? What do u have to pray 4 ??? U wnt McBush? My childrenm/grand children/great grands are tired of wating!!! I need hope...I need a change!! Peace @ Love Bompa Bob

August 16, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  7. jk mac

Differing views exist about McCain's reputation as a POW. Look at YouTube: Col Earl Hopper, Retired-Army Intelligence, 5 part series on John McCain. Hopper is not a democrate/liberal.

Also, Google: songbird, McCain.

There are two sides to this story. McCain appears to be able to dictate which side is shown to the public.

August 16, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  8. JoAnn Young

I know McCain is a war hero, but I am sick of hearing about his capture in detail. I know he does this to get sympathy. I was surprised that the Pastor asked McCain different questions which allowed him to talk about WAR (what everybody says is McCain's strong point). I have always said there is no such thing as a LEVEL PLAYING FIELD. I don't know why Obama agreed to this...in Orange County, California...give me a break....Orange County is REAGAN, REPUBLICAN COUNTY.

August 16, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  9. Bridg

Good lord! do you really get paid to do this? "McCain seems to be winning over the crowd?" Back up please: let's try to remember where we are: a conversative furum, put up by a conservative organization, with conservative supporters. I find it highly suspcious that McCain's responses are generally of the stump-speech variaty, while Obama appeared to be speaking from the heart. I think Obama walked into a trap here: I think McCain and his handlers were privy to the questions. Try to find some balance in your reporting.

August 16, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  10. G. McCann

I expected a neutral stance from the moderator. I think the Rev. Rick Warren could have been a little less biased.

August 16, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  11. ger

During McCain's segment,it looks like the he was given a free hand to get in his "talking points" verus answering the questions. The host lost control and just let him ride on the applause of the audience. How is that prior to today, McCain has never wanted to bring up- his POW days, but tonight, he relives those days as if they were yesterday and uses them connects them to his faith. I once thought McCain was someone who could provide leadership, but he is nothing but another politicial with agenda to "Ambush" the American people, into thinking that a big (hollow) stick is better than a long term plan affirming America as ta leader. An example of this hollow stick, our current President, in Chna, along side, Putin, and he does not even have the "clout " to encourge him to stop military action that were about to occur while they were sitting a short and watching a sports event.

August 16, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  12. Ed Mears

Please point out that McCain is being given half the air time to repeat his same stump speeches to the audience. Obama mistakenly thought he was supposed to respond to questions and not stump to the crowd. This was a set up. The coin was probably two-headed, too.

Ed Mears
    Austin, TX

August 16, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  13. Justin in CA

I wonder who the crowd was for when they got there? Come on Crowley! It seems like the common sense is being sucked out of most CNN reporters.

August 16, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  14. Democrat for McCain

I absolutely love McCain...so knowledgeable, so substantial. McCain will be our next president. Sorry Obama, get some more experience and come back in 8 years and then maybe I'll vote for you. McCain 08!!!!! Jennifer, Springfield MA

August 16, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  15. PD in CA

What a shock. A conservative Orange Country crowd favors McCain. Gosh... didn't expect that. Religious forum for political candidates turns my stomach and frightens me.

August 16, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  16. linda

Well a simplistic man making simplistic points, right wrong good evil blah blah blah WOULD appeal to Christian evangelicals. The same crowd that brought us the morally corrupt George Bush.

Personally I thought I'd gag when he pontificated about out of control spending and went on and on about a measley 3 million spent on bear research but no mention of the trillions of money squandered in Irag which is leading the economy to ruin.

Out of touch with reality and spouting yet more lies, just another Republican in sheep's clothing.

August 16, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  17. Louis

Mccain says that he has try to help oppressed people thru out the world, why hasn't he try to help a generation of people that his generation of people has helped to oppress right here in the United States?

I know this was not a topic for Mccain or Obama, But I do have a question about the 40 acres and a mule that was once promised, Don't you think if an acre and a can of milk shows effort? But that has not been even given.

August 16, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  18. Patriciaw

Maybe my memory is failing me, but wasn't that story about the soldier making the sign of the cross on the ground which McCain claims, in Clavell's novel "Shogun"?

Haven't got the book to hand to check..maybe someone from CNN can

August 16, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  19. Eric D.

John McCain completely dodged the question. He answered with a very compelling story. The question was along the lines of how does McCain come to decisions, not how was prison camp.

August 16, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  20. cettel

Yes, he won this crowd of fascists. No surprise there.

August 16, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  21. gpm

The amazing way in which McCain answered all these questions so eagerly and quickly without any hesitation appears to be someone who was either given the questions beforehand or was drilled by an insider.

August 16, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  22. South Texan

McCain was absolutely dominant in the debate.

Did you here when Obama said that the question was, "Above his paygrade?"

I hope Obama supporters were watching. I was once fooled by Obama too. I don't see how anyone can support Obama after this debate.

August 16, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  23. Dayahka

Maybe someone should investigate this bit of mythology–I wonder how true it is.

August 16, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  24. Gail Weitz

I was struck by the fact that Warren prefaced his questions to Senator Obama a number of times by stating "without making a stump speech." McCain did nothing BUT "stump speak" throughout the session but Warren did not note that.
    My impression is : Obama spoke the truth and McCain played to the crowd.

August 16, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  25. Desmond Sequeira

Very noble indeed at the time. But it loses its lustre when it is used for political milage. Besides, would somebody else, for example Obama, have acted differently?

August 16, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |