August 16th, 2008

Crowley: McCain seems to be winning over the crowd

LAKE FOREST, California (CNN) - McCain seems to be doing well if you judge by the crowd. Asked about his most gut-wrenching decision, he talked about refusing the Viet Cong's offer to release him from captivity out of order (the one who had been there the longest is supposed to be released first.) McCain, offered release because he was the son of an Admiral, said no. He just called it the most gut-wrenching but best decision he ever made.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. LAVON K HUMMEL

No disrespect to the crowd at this forum, but arn't they already in McCains corner. He dosn't have to do much to win them over dose he. Love your reporting Crowley, But how can you say McCains responds crisper and stonger. His nervous laughter makes me un easy . He giggles after some of his answer , as if he is thinkin . they bought that line , oh boy. I ve got them. Really how smart are the american people, I mean there should be no guestion as to Obama being clear choice. But no we have to mill it over and over. Really its ashame. Let do this thing again, only the crowd should be made up of people look toward the future and change. This crowd and many other people feel good when McCain talks of war and drilling for oil , it safe old fashion politic. But we need to heed the fact that we are in paraless times. and we need to act now for the sake of our children and there children, The oil is gone -the planet is ill. and being a right wing Christen. is not the only way to salvation. God bless our World,,,,...

August 16, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  2. YES GREAT!

Telling stories are always amusing! NOT!

August 16, 2008 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  3. ALLAN USA.

From 1-10, McCain 7- Obama 3.

August 16, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  4. ALLAN USA.

From 1-10, McCain 7- Obama 3. If no HRC –go For McCAIN.

August 16, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  5. EBC

Yes, Candy, the message is...

I"M YOUR PUPPY DOG"!!!!! Throw a bone and I'll fetch it for you, say "jump and I'll ask "how high"...

What a surprise here...

August 16, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  6. Larry Buchas

Who are you kidding, Candy?

This was a pro-McCain crowd from the get go. I didn't sense much civility from this crowd of ignorance.

August 16, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  7. mb--texas

candy must be mccain campaign manager all of her comments favor mccain in this forum I watch the same program McCain joking and telling dodging questions with stories,Asking permission to be serious on subjects.again everything is a joke to this guy.

August 16, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  8. FV

The only crowd McCain won over in Lake Forrest was the planted audience who was all going to vote for him anyway.
    The cheers in the church might have been loud.....
    but the groans from the VAST majority of Americans across the nation at the weaknesses revealed in McCain's judgement will be MUCH MUCH louder.

August 16, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  9. linda in illinois

McCain is a dear old guy, or is he. He seemed to me to be all about
    WAR and military defense. We had a crowd of about 30 people to watch tonights questioning. It seemed to be full of old war stories,
    and how he believes he would handle EVIL based on HIS definition of
    whom is EVIL made alot of us uneasy. He seemed more on task then I've seen him before but the group I was with tonight believe he knew the questions ahead of time.His definition of RICH was interesting.
    He said someone who has over 5 million dollars. Then is he MEGA RICH? Still collects social security and full disability from V.A I find that
    we would like to ask WHY HE COLLECTS THOSE FROM THE GOVERNMENT??? Why did he not support the G.I Bill????
    The money he collects could be given to someone who needs it!!!
    Our concern is that he likes WAR so he will not be my choice

August 16, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  10. CB

He should have gave that same courtesy to his first wife and said no to Cindy.

August 16, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  11. DR. YES

this crowd was supposed to be is base.some still are .more telling was their gracious response to sen. obama.

August 16, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  12. Chris from NY

That's all he has going for him. His war story. Nothing else that has happened in his life made sense except his war time in Vietnam. What a story.

August 16, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  13. Janice Crowley

Mccain didn't win me over because he said what he ordinarly say in town hall meetings. However, Obama was more personal talking about some personal instances we never heard before. This night was more personal and open for Obama because he took his answers very seriously and Mccain who joked allot and talked less about what he feels personally and as a regualr stump speech or talking points.

August 16, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  14. VOICE OF REASON

ALL YOU OBAMA SUPPORTERS WHO HAVE NEVER SUFFERED MUCH MORE THAN A HEADACHE SHOULD LOOK UP FROM YOUR NY TIMES AND TAKE NOTE. FOR MILLENIA PAST AND TO COME WHAT HE CHOSE IN THAT POW CAMP IS CALLED HONOUR. GET IT, SAY IT WITH ME KIDS, H-O-N-O-U-R. IF YOU STILL DONT GET IT GOOGLE IT!!!!!! IT USED TO MEAN SOMETHING TO THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY OF FDR. REMEMBER HIM!!!!!!!!!! IT IS THE SOLE ATTRIBUTE SEPERATING THESE TWO CANDIDATES IN THEIR SOULS. SOME GOT IT, MOST DONT.

August 16, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  15. dah

he was being entertaining not very serious with his answers unless you consider each story with a hidden answer?

August 16, 2008 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  16. white 49 yr old woman for Obama

I think Mccain's war stories are very emotional, sad and heroic,however they are not what will make me decide to vote for someone like him or him for that matter. I think Senator Mccain is too ready to take on a fight or a war while Senator Obama is ready to lead the world to a more peaceful place without having to use force or war to do it. I think Mccain spoke to the voters as he does everyday on the trail. I really enjoyed Obama's conversation with Rick Warren. He was comfortable and thought through each question and answered them with humilty and honesty. Mccain was looking for votes!

August 16, 2008 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  17. PUMA 4 HILL

From the beginning of the primaries I was very happy to hear McCain won the repbulican primaries. I knew then that if my choice of Hillary wasn't going to be I could easily vote for the next best...McCain.

I've always respected John McCain.

August 16, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  18. Greg FL.

Winning over the crowd? Are you serious or making a joke? The crowd was ready made for him. The fact Obama got any kind of ovation in a crowd that was dead against many of the things he stands for was a victory for Obama. If McCain hadn't gotten the response he did in a crowd of religious conservatives then he would really have problems.

On a side note. I hope you people at CNN take McCain to task over his staement that Al Qeida is setting up sleeper cells. I want to know where that came from or if he made it up. I also would like someone to remind Mr. McCain he voted against the torture bill. He stayed right on party lines with his vote. Maybe he didn't hear the question.

August 16, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  19. McCain

If you feel that was truly your best decision it makes me wander is that why you are stuck in that era of war like mind set.

August 16, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  20. ALL the facts please

Duh!?!?! This is an entirely conservative audience, moderator, and forum. It was scripted from the conception of the idea. This group of people and forum does not represent the cross-section of America.

August 16, 2008 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  21. Ms. Holmes

Can you say BULL CRAP????????? OMG! I can't take anymore of this. It STINKS!

August 16, 2008 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  22. really, Mccain won??? really??

Candy, you disappoint me with these blogs

August 16, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  23. Chris

Really Candy. In your reporting of the "political conversations" with Obama, McCain and Paster Warren you have given one sided advantage to the religious right machine and John McCain. The fact that you provided a forum for a church to further its political agenda was bad enough, that you spent the next hour interviewing 2 "media" representatives of the religious right and other media moguls was irresponsible. If I get this right you are also going to give Pastor Warren his own time on prime time CNN next week.

John McCain, clearly had the questions in advance and had prepared "stump speech" like answers to the questions. Because he was prepared in advance, your biased media panel gave him credit for being candid and sounding good. Will you give the same attention and biased media reporting to a NAACP forum. I think not.

August 16, 2008 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  24. cal

what are you kidding me? mccain was reading his stump speech all night, to a pro-republican audience.

the only way mccain could have messed things up is if he fell off the stage.

August 16, 2008 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  25. Frank Giacobbi

What was gut-wrenching about that? It was a no-brainer – the code of conduct is clear.

August 16, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |