August 16th, 2008

Crowley: McCain tackles a question Obama dodged

McCain was direct where Obama went for subtlety.
McCain was direct where Obama went for subtlety.

LAKE FOREST, California (CNN) - Huge applause when John McCain answers the question Barack Obama wouldn't: when does a baby get human rights? McCain is clear: from the moment of conception.

McCain hints at approval for civil unions - but doesn't go that far, just says his opposition to same-sex marriage doesn't mean people couldn't "enter into agreements." Obama flat-out supported the idea.

McCain agrees with Obama that evil exists in the world. But these two men are so different - Obama is lyrical. McCain is staccato.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. moonmaiden from lake michigan

Mac War bought this so called debate and the money went to Pastor Rick. Come on you guys get smart and read between the lines.
    This was well planned. Another Repuke ploy at trying to win an electon. What a sleez. America deserves better get smart people and think outside the box.
    Cindy
    what are thinking?!!!

August 17, 2008 02:02 am at 2:02 am |
  2. mary

It took Obama longer to give his answers because of all of the duh, mmm, uhh, in each answer. He had to try and remember where he was so he could give the "politically correct answer". He kept looking down for his telepromter - surprise there wasn't one.

He still mistated..........

The abortion rate has gone down....not up.

He "reached across the isle" to work with John McCain on an ethics bill --but then double crossed McCain and voted against the bill when the Democratic leaders pressured him. How is ever going to stand up to Foreign Leaders if he can't stand up to Pelosi and Reid?

New drinking game - take a shot everytime Obama says hmmm.

August 17, 2008 02:07 am at 2:07 am |
  3. Michigan Voter !!!

I Will Confess As A Democrat , I Am Very Impressed With Sen. John McCain Tonight . I'm Begaining To Really Like Him . I Can See him Being a Good President . McCain Is A Pretty Wise Man . Who Doesn't Hesitate to say What he Stands For . Good Debate Tonight !!!!

You May have Just Earned My Vote !!!!

August 17, 2008 02:14 am at 2:14 am |
  4. Shirley-Ohio

Obama did not dodge the question. If you are not for abortion then your answer is going to be at conception but if you are prochoice there is no possible way to answered that question (which is why he did not answer it). If you knew you child was going to be born with an outrages birth defect do you should be able to chose if you want to bring a child into the world that way. If you are raped and get pregnant you should be able to chose what you want to do.

August 17, 2008 02:21 am at 2:21 am |
  5. Paula in WI

Sorry but in my opinion it was obvious his answers were memorized and yet I caught a few times where he still tripped up.Every answer he had involved violence by referring to war.And in a church no less.I found him repulsive and I can't listen to "My friends" come out of his pathetic mouth another time.No way would I ever vote for someone who knows nothing but military.He's another 4 years of George Bush,PERIOD.He is no Christian I want to follow.Anyone who votes McCain is killing young soldiers for nothing.There is no honor in dying to appease that old fool.Get real.

August 17, 2008 02:24 am at 2:24 am |
  6. Robert from "CALEYFORNIA"

Within 3 minutes, McCain blasted "Caleyfornia" (why i aughta...) for allowing civil unions, then goes on to talk out of the other side of his mouth and say that he thinks the decision aught to be made by individual states.

uhm.

come again?

August 17, 2008 02:29 am at 2:29 am |
  7. Kimberly

My family and I are registered democrats but we are voting for McCain. My 21 year old daughter was going to vote for Obama until tonight; she was able to listen to both candidates and feels that McCain is wiser and more trustworthy.

August 17, 2008 02:33 am at 2:33 am |
  8. RFO

There's a big difference between picking the correct answer to a multiple choice question verses having a method by which you analysis a problem to come up with an answer.

I chose process and logic over spouted answers any day!

August 17, 2008 02:35 am at 2:35 am |
  9. Fortune of Laurelton

To be a Democrat and attend an evangelicals forum is great. Obama impressively held his own. I need answers to this very question. Does anyone think that because Bush and his Republican army" the far right" invaded Iraq under false pretense, the Russians are overplaying their hands since the crazy Georgian president provoked them by ordering military forces to move into South Ossetia.? Since the world found no WMD's there, why are we still in Iraq? Perhaps the Russians will claim that Georgia has WMD's and simply occupy them for a very long time to come.

August 17, 2008 02:38 am at 2:38 am |
  10. dee from rochester

Let's stop picking on Candy Crowley. I did not agree with all her analysis, but it was fair. Obama answered the questions in a very thoughtful manner. I think what many of us are getting at here is that blue collar folks like the fiesty answers. "Nuanced" sounds too rarified and highminded. McCain speaks their language. Obama must win this election's; so offer more personal stories, Barack.

McCain lost me at those mono-syllabic answers especially before questions were asked. Come on. What was he thinking? Anyway this was his audience.

Barack '08

August 17, 2008 02:44 am at 2:44 am |
  11. arlene, CA

the whole thing was slanted in McCain's favor, that was easy to see, must have had an agreement, other wise McCain would not have even showed up. Pastor Rick let McCain give stump speaches but told Obama he did not want him doing that. McCain's war hero status is getting stale, that is really all he has going for him.

August 17, 2008 03:10 am at 3:10 am |