August 16th, 2008

Crowley: McCain tackles a question Obama dodged

McCain was direct where Obama went for subtlety.
McCain was direct where Obama went for subtlety.

LAKE FOREST, California (CNN) - Huge applause when John McCain answers the question Barack Obama wouldn't: when does a baby get human rights? McCain is clear: from the moment of conception.

McCain hints at approval for civil unions - but doesn't go that far, just says his opposition to same-sex marriage doesn't mean people couldn't "enter into agreements." Obama flat-out supported the idea.

McCain agrees with Obama that evil exists in the world. But these two men are so different - Obama is lyrical. McCain is staccato.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Crush Rush

All churchs should pay taxes,NOW

August 16, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  2. Lisa

As an Obama supporter I am surprised by how much I am liking McCain's responses. But then again I realize that we are all programmed to respond to the definitive – yet likeable – authority figure who does not suffer ambiguity. Obama answers reflect questions that are difficult to answer succintly or definitively – I'm a a person who operates under the "gray" mantra as opposed to black and white and while I long for the definitiveness of McCain – I think we have seen where that can lead from our current president, McCain's personal observations and anecdotes are difficult to resist but as any business person knows – anecdotal evidence is often flawed.....

August 16, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  3. ann miller

an avid political observer disgusted with the "forum" tonight. It was the "McCain Show", this was supposed to be one for one questions, I saw all of this, saw no one for one question. McCain shined in a most disengenious way, the crowd all there for McCain, and the more important point, why did we have a pastor directing questions to our 2 presidential candidates to begin with? This is not a theocracy....as far as I know. But maybe we are. Very disheartened. What a joke. ann

August 16, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  4. Subhash Durlabhji

You guys are so full of it, with your instant analysis. Don't you think we can listen and make up our own minds? At least wait until the thing is over, study the responses, and come up with real analysis, not these knee jerk instant and mostly inane comments. You really think your opinions are what people want more than tuning in to the forum. If this country is in trouble, a great deal of the blame goes to you, earnign your keep by strutting your ego on the airways. Go do some honest reporting for a change.

August 16, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  5. Mike U

another political speech talking about Linda here and there. He has been in Congress 22 yrs and he has had plenty of time to address these issues. Negative,...Negative about the world around us. HOw about America, Mr. McCAin. WE need help...look at New Orleans and Katrina. Clean up our home..before you go to Irag and Russia etc etc. This is the Bush policy....not worried about the USA...shame

August 16, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  6. Linda Gregory

What a set-up! Pastor Warren's motive in holding this forum certainly appears to be "Purpose Driven"...make McCain look good. You ask candidates to come and share from their hearts, not on the stump, and then pack the house with Republican supporters who sit on their hands for Sen. Obama's genuine heart felt comments and break out in applause for McCain's campaign rhetoric. Mortifying!!!! This is precisely why the separation of church and state should be kept as such!

August 16, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  7. Anonymous

I am concerned that Pastor Rick is allowing McCain to do stump speaches and he did not allow Obama to do so. He appears to be an obviously lopsided moderator in favor of McCain.

August 16, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  8. Matt

Obama likes to dodge things. And he's gotten good at it.

August 16, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  9. Maya

So why not point out that McCain waffled on the same-sex marriage question? And the stem-cell question. CNN, you are unfairly targeting Barack.

August 16, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  10. Kevin

New drinking game.... every time McCain says "my friends..." take a shot.

August 16, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  11. Jenna T in San Jose

Candy,

Why aren't you mentioning how many times McCain dodged questions or flat out switched the topic?

"My Friends", it doesn't matter how I answer these questions, Candy Crowley will still dote over me.

August 16, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  12. Kjetil

I think the questioner is very bad. He dont give any followups at what for example McCain say about Georgia and Russia. He dont ask followups about how will you restore health and schools if everyone will get a tax cut. Its very uncritical. Same on Obama. He seems like a nice man that pastor, but he is not so good on this. Someone that have a man for "hard" question should be a bit hard when someone say something and then say, but what will then happend too schools?

August 16, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  13. betty

John McCain is not giving us any in depth answers -he is giving us stories that appeal to the emotion of the American people not to their intellectual ability. Clearly his horrific time as a capured soldier impacted who is is in a very strong way. I thought his answer to one of the questions when told a story of his time there was political and not real. I was so dsappointed in his response. I was also disappointed in the evangelical leader asking the question by not asking John McCain to answer the qustion posed. McCain is using this as a stump speach -not ihelping us get to know his thoughts and philosophy for leading this country.

August 16, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  14. JSanders

Cindy Crowley's Republican bias come through very clearly. The use of modifiers such as "flat out" when describing BHO support of civil unions shows her bias – maybe she should stand down until after the election. Bad girl.

August 16, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  15. ann miller

An avid political observer disgusted with this forum tonight. McCain referring to me as "his friend" on at least a dozen occasions. He is not my friend. This was the McCain show. Disengenious show/format. And most importantly why do we have a pastor moderating a presidential "debate" (loosely connotated), to begin with? Is America now the land of...............theocracy? Very disheartened. What a joke. Ann Miller

August 16, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  16. LAVON K HUMMEL

Mcain looked very nervous to me. I thought he might tear up at frist. But he warmd up pretty quick. I just hate watching John, I always hold my breath when he is speaking, I worry about the fellow, Iam not being condesending. Same thing with Bush I wonder what stupid thing will slip from his lips nex't I want Barack in the White house so I can take a breath of fresh air.

August 16, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  17. Whatever

What happened to comparing apples to aples? How did we go to comparing apples to apples, oranges, and cherries? Yes, I am a Christian, but that does not keep me from noting when extra questions or news (ex: local proposition) have been added. If you really want us to compare aples to apples, keep the questions consistent with both candidates. For me, the impartiality of this "Civil Forum" has flewn straight out of the window. Thanks for the diverse fruit bowl.

And I would like to know how will we be able to continue to fund the war, improve education and healthcare, address the ills caused by off-shoring and help other countries – since to whom much is given, much is required- w/o raising taxes? Don't just talk about not raising taxes – give us your alternative.

August 16, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  18. Joogie Boy

McCain is the one offering nothing but a stump speech. He is not a thinker, . . . and certainly not genuine.

August 16, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  19. Mary

I am not convinced John McCain was in a sound proof room during the Warren forum. He seemed to know the questions before they were asked. That was my impression.

August 16, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  20. James

McCain's black & whilte answers show why he should NEVER be President. It takes compromise to run a country as diverse as the USA.

August 16, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  21. Jeff K. / Galena, MO

Has anyone noticed that McCain does nothing but dodge questions, change subjects to his favor, and never truly discuss any religious issue personally? He speaks in generalities when it comes to faith. But he did do his homework on what to say when asked certain specific questions on abortion and family. Looks like the Republican machine is well oiled and feeding the answers to their puppet once again.

August 16, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  22. Lee

Obama is not merely lyrical, he realizes that our country faces serious problems that need to be solved. McCain is merely pushing the hot button wedge issues that he knows will arouse the audience. I can't see that he will bring Americans together to solve anything.

August 16, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  23. Rita Bunton

I am disappointed in Rev. Rick Warren. He never pressed John McCain on any questions involving faith, (Faith Forum?) and let him get away with giving his standard stump speech.

I will thrilled at the depth of the questions and impressed how thoughtly Sen. Obama answered them. On the other hand, Sen. McCain "jeffed" and "jived" his way through most of the questions.

And I lost count of how many times he talked about war and Al Qaeda and terrorism and victory and on and on... The question about evil was really revealing. Sen. McCain saw evil as being Islamic extremists and spoke of defeating it. Evil and sin are the eyes of God. And this whole world is evil and sin sick. Not just Islamic extremists.

Stop fighting wars Sen. McCain. Give peace a chance. Have you ever heard the saying ...."where there is peace, there is God?"

August 16, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  24. John Wilson

Candy,

I want to ask a question. Wasn't McCain supposed to be in a room that he could not hear the questions to Obama? If so, why did he on live television say "can we get back to the question on Supreme Court Justices" when Supreme Court justices had never been asked, but to Barack Obama?

August 16, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  25. Richard

Man, CNN is all McCain tonight. Why don't you mention how animated McCain becomes when he gets to talk about war. He loves it to no end. He's like a kid let loose in the candy store. OBAMA-'08

August 16, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |