August 16th, 2008

Crowley: McCain tackles a question Obama dodged

McCain was direct where Obama went for subtlety.
McCain was direct where Obama went for subtlety.

LAKE FOREST, California (CNN) - Huge applause when John McCain answers the question Barack Obama wouldn't: when does a baby get human rights? McCain is clear: from the moment of conception.

McCain hints at approval for civil unions - but doesn't go that far, just says his opposition to same-sex marriage doesn't mean people couldn't "enter into agreements." Obama flat-out supported the idea.

McCain agrees with Obama that evil exists in the world. But these two men are so different - Obama is lyrical. McCain is staccato.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Michele

Listen up, all you flip floppy Democrat Hillary chicks. This guy has just told you that he is pro-life and is against a woman's right to choose. Stay at home if you want or vote for this guy, he wants to be able to control what you do with your body.

August 16, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  2. Ratgurl

When Obama said that question was above his pay grade, he meant it was a question that could only be answered by God.

August 16, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  3. Louise Thompson

I think John McCain showed his years as a politician, he took control of the conversation, directed it to his agenda and gave his usual stump speech. Plus a history lession according to John McCain.

August 16, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  4. Kent Fitzsimmons,Kewanee, IL

McCain is very "it's my way or the highway". We have already had that kind of a President in Bush..........we don't need another cowboy in the White House.

August 16, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  5. Norma

I understood Obama's response that it is a pay grade higher then his. God makes life.

August 16, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  6. ALLAN USA.

Obama look very poor today. From 1-10 McCain 7 - Obama 3. If no HRC no Obama.

August 16, 2008 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  7. Shannon

what other questions did Obama dodge, how about did you use cocaine.
    If someone asked me, I could say no in a heartbeat.

August 16, 2008 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  8. Paul

I watched the interview by paster Warren this evening. The commentators gave that "round" to McCain. Frankly I wonder what interview they were watching. My view is McCain pandered the audience while Obama was more genuine in his approach. Frankly, McCain scares me.

August 16, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  9. Mountain View Mom

Anyone who endures IVF treatments understands that not every embryo becomes a baby. That reality is heart-breaking when you are desperately trying to have a child.

Our society understands that there is a different between an embryo/ fetus and a baby: 1) we don't hold funerals for miscarriages, 2) employees aren't given bereavement leave for miscarriages, 3) we don't allow parents to claim a fetus as a child for tax purposes, 4) we don't allow pregnant women to drive in the carpool lane.

If life begins at conception, logically I could undergo IVF, generate embryos, freeze them, and then claim them as tax deductions in perpetuity. If an embryo is the same as a child, why would anyone object?

And most embryos "survive" better in the freezer than they do in the womb. Most embryos that are implanted in the womb don't result in pregnancy. So does that make the doctor trying to help the infertile couple a "murderer" because the implantation resulted in the "death" of the embryo? Is the infertile couple who is desperately trying to have a "real" baby an accessory to murder?

Be careful what you ask for ...

August 16, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  10. Larry Buchas

Wrong again!

Obama didn't dodge the question. He answered it by looking at it from all sides, including women in mortal danger. That's obviously something you or McCain can't comprehend, Candy.

August 16, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  11. FV

Dodged?! PLEASE! McCain DODGED virtually EVERY question asked him and attempted to direct it into a rehearsed answer about something else.....

August 16, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  12. RyanD.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." – Sinclair Lewis

August 16, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  13. ALL the facts please

Did I see the same forum? I did see Obama answer the question. It was not dodged

August 16, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  14. carla

The difference is that McCain was basically giving stump speech answers directed towards keeping the audience and his conservative base happy.

Obama was having a measured conversation with his host, in admittedly a friendly, yet hostile audience.

Who do you want for your next President? A cartoon like Bush in new clothes or a deep, nuanced thinker?

August 16, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  15. DR. YES

just because mccain was clear does not mean he is right.the fact is as obama has said.WE DONT KNOW!and anyone who says they know are deluding themselves with their own arrogance.

August 16, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  16. Denise Wells

I happen to believe that Obam's stance on this issue is exactly as it should be – at least from a woman's perspective. I want to believe that no one would blindly walk into such a hugh decision as to take a life so nonchalantly. Therefore, this woman must deal with the emotions and repurcussions that this decision will wreak on her life. If we do away with Roe vs. Wade, then we have again taken away and stomped on the rights of all women. Shouldn't it really be God who is judging that woman's decision ultimately?? Why do we always have to be the judge and jury for the reasons behind a very private family decision that is made behind closed doors.

I am pro-choice but like alot of woman who are pro choice, I could never terminate a pregnancy that was given to me by God. But I won't stand in judgement of another woman and the very tought decision that she has to make.

August 16, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  17. VOICE OF REASON

COMPARE HITLER TO CHURCHILL. ONE IS A MAN FOR THE TIMES FULL OF PROMISES FOR CHANGE. THE OTHER IS A CRUSTY OLD POLITICIAN WITH A WAR ON HIS HANDS. NOW COMPARE OBAMA TO MCSAME. OBAMAS IDEA OF EVIL IN THE WORLD IS WHEN THE SPEECH WRITER IS A NO SHOW AND THE ICE CREAM TRUCK IS A NO SHOW. MCSAME SEES EVIL FOR WHAT IT IS.......EVER PRESENT AND NOT ALWAYS EVIDENT. TO QUOTE A FAIRLY RIGHTEOUS MAN "WISDOM IS KNOWN OF HER CHILDREN". ITLL DO LOTS GOOD TO FIND THIS QUOTE FOR YOURSELVES.

August 16, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  18. Lourdes

I think the best answer is that there is no definitive answer. Conception doesn't cut it in my book....a pregnancy test won't show positive until after the embryo IMPLANTS, which doesn't happen until 3-7 days after conception. It is pretty common for a fertilized egg (a zygote) not to implant properly...a woman isn't even pregnant until that point.

I'm frustrated that no one questions why PRO-LIFERS aren't against the death penalty and WAR.

August 16, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  19. Morgan

McCain dodged the rich question. So what's the point of this headline?

August 16, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  20. Jim

It is too bad McCain was not asked about his voting record for helping the baby after it is born, but he would have been expecting the question because Warren has said it several times during the past several weeks.

It is time to end the non-stop every election issue about abortion. Have a vote by all Americans and put it to bed.

Reagan and Bush 2 promised constitutional amendments, but neither put any effort into the issue once they were elected.

August 16, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  21. Lucious

I think the tally is even. Yes Obama definitely didn't give the straightest answer on abortion. But where it breaks even was the question "Define Rich". I'm still waiting on for that answer. For the record. I'm not real big at all on taxes. But let's face it. I think 250K is more than what I would have considered rich.

August 16, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  22. gloria pitman

john mc cain was the best you can tell who has the best exsperience. he answers per on the mark and very percise. although mr oboma spoke very well to. but he had o think longer before he answered. where mr mc cain answered right away. when you live longer you exsperience more things and gain more knowledge. may the best man win. thank you gloria

August 16, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  23. Jazzman

Obama was asked about voting for something that went against his party. He had 1 example of reaching accross the aisle: He used the Campaign Finance Reform as the example. Actually, McCain was the one who reached accross the Aisle and took tremendous republican heat for that one – Its a democratic party issue.

How does the panel of experts let Obama get away with that one?

August 16, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  24. Kelley

I thought McCain did much better than Obama and certainly appears to be the leader I want in the White House.....Obama can come back in about 15 years after he's grown up and through with text messaging his supporters.

My husband and I tonight made up our minds who to vote for. And for once, in my opinion, Candy and the gang aren't pushing Obama down our throats!

August 16, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  25. Ratgurl

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 16, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |