August 16th, 2008

Crowley: McCain tackles a question Obama dodged

McCain was direct where Obama went for subtlety.
McCain was direct where Obama went for subtlety.

LAKE FOREST, California (CNN) - Huge applause when John McCain answers the question Barack Obama wouldn't: when does a baby get human rights? McCain is clear: from the moment of conception.

McCain hints at approval for civil unions - but doesn't go that far, just says his opposition to same-sex marriage doesn't mean people couldn't "enter into agreements." Obama flat-out supported the idea.

McCain agrees with Obama that evil exists in the world. But these two men are so different - Obama is lyrical. McCain is staccato.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. H. D. Weaver

Obama answered the abortion question. McCain didn't answer the orphan question. Sen. Obama gave thoughtful answers to the questions asked. Sen. McCain went off on other topics and missed some of the questions.
    Pastor Rick was more animated with Sen. Obama. Sen Obama spoke with and to Pastor Rick...Sen. McCain addressed and face the audience.

August 16, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  2. Not a man of faith

My friends,
    I'm very disappointed the McCain dodged some questions with stories and answered a few questions before they were fully asked. And for a faith forum, he gave more 'stump' than letting us know what he actually believed in. Does he believe in God?

McCain was very fake, telling people what they wanted to hear.

August 16, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  3. Anita from Arizona

Remember Crowley said McCain seemed Staccato?? That word means "DISCONNECTED or ALL OVER THE PLACE." That criticism for McCain. I got the same feeling too.

August 16, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  4. gail

candy – obama answered truthfully – he doesnt know. he didnt dodge the question
    i have yet to hear candy ever say anuthing positive about obama.

August 16, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  5. texas democrat

my answer to the question would have been the moment the mother says i want this baby. that's why we have roe vs wade. sometimes you have to not judge a person but look at the circumstances. that was a very hard question and i guess it also depends on your religion and your beliefs.

August 16, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  6. Wesley

Was not Obama only talking about his grandma and his mommy etc.. Obama is hollow, no substance.

August 16, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  7. centennial,co

MCAIN JUST LIED AND SUCKED UP-HE KNEW THE ANSWERS BEFORE-
    THE WHOLE THING WAS SET UP FOR MCWAR!

August 16, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  8. H. D. Weaver

Both Senators got applause and unless you had a meter to measure it would be difficult to know who got more. Yes McCain's pro live stance would get a response from this church but Sen. Obama's discussion of solutions, how to cut back on the the numbers of abortions was well recieved. I want a leader that does more than condem something, I want a leader that creates solutions to change the circumstances.

August 16, 2008 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  9. Rani McBride

Hey Andy... you do not fool anyone. Everyone knows who you intended to support all along. This is a joke. A media hay day. This was the most bias forum I have seen. Just something else for the media to try to boost McCain. It does not take a rocket scientist to know that evangelicals support only Republicans pretty much and this just make Obama look bad. Wake up America

August 16, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  10. proud army and navy mom

King teleprompter Obama was terrible No wonder he keeps dodging the Town Hall debates

August 16, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  11. GrandMa

he never answer any quistion he just told story

August 16, 2008 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |
  12. Barbara - 65 yr old white female in NC

How are we going to find jobs in the USA that will make us rich? He's planning on giving even more of them away with CAFTA.

I'm tired of hearing his boring pandering stories. I don't trust this man two feet.

August 16, 2008 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  13. Republican for Obama

All McCain did was stump. Candy must have been drinking something. I'm disappointed in Candy and sick of McCain and all of his stories.

Obama was direct and spoke from his heart and experience.

August 16, 2008 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  14. ricardo williams

I think McCain is shallow and as people review this debate they will realize that McCain is as clueless as Bush when it comes to the deep troubles of the economy. Sorry McCain your stump answers male a good show fopr shallow people. Obama used a lot of uh and ums but it is understandable when speaking impromptu on questions.

August 16, 2008 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  15. Daniel in NH

I wish that they would believe that life started when an egg is fertilized, that would mean that any one that did anything that caused even a "natural abortion" would be quilty of manslaughter. If a life has "rights" that is all rights including protection against manslaughter so anyone that ever had a miscarriage would need to serve their time in jail. If there isn't manslaughter there isn't a life. Of course if there is manslaughter we would have to lock up every woman in the country for at least 3 years of their life but we have to protect these precious lives right?

See they don't beleive it is a life, it is only used to get people off real topics like why is it ok to torture, would Jesus do that?

August 16, 2008 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  16. Dave

If I have learned one thing from these message boards it is the following...no one learns anything. Most people here already have made up their minds and no matter what either candidate says or does those on the opposite side of the fence will find fault with whatever they disagree with.
    If McCain gets something right he was prepped, if Obama gets something right the media was too easy on him, if McCain doesn't want America to be attacked he is a War Monger waiting to shove everyone in the meat grinder, If Obama thinks diplomacy is the way he too soft. I can't wait for this mess to be over.

August 16, 2008 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  17. JDS

Obama did not dodge the question at all. It makes no sense to say that considering the situation.
    This was apparently a McCain campaign event staged in an effort to create some enthusiasm for McCain with the Republican religious base.
    The only reason McCain was there was to say things like "From conception" - almost before the questions were asked!

August 16, 2008 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  18. Anita from Arizona

I loved Obama's answer to Marriage. "I'm secure in my marriage enough to give that civil right to same sex marriages." It was intelligent, thoughtful and on the mark. We will not move forward with McCain. He's stuck in the past.

August 16, 2008 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  19. JoAnn

I was disappointed with this forum. Obama was QUESTIONED. McCain was allowed to speak and tell war stories at will. Real JOKE!!! Obama was set-up. Since McCain couldn't get him to travel around the county with him and do town-hall meetings, he got his "good friend" to set up a "forum" in ORANGE COUNTY, CA. Oh my!!!!!!!!!

August 16, 2008 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  20. Vera Saeli

Obama answered this question if you were paying attention. He answered it like many of us feel. With abortion, it's not straight across the boards. McCain answered to please his base. Obama struggles with this as I do and as many people do. The promiscuous person that is having abortions is one circumstance-the pregnant rape victim is another circumstance. As a mother, *I* struggle with it. Obama tried to convey this. I am still looking for some kind of headline on all the things McCain didn't answer but just stumped and told a story. CNN, you have it wrong! I don't want to hear a 'story' from a candidate! I have plenty of my own, thank you. I want to hear intelligence, thoughtfulness and solutions!

August 16, 2008 11:57 pm at 11:57 pm |
  21. Andrew in Alabama

McCain '08

August 17, 2008 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  22. Substance Versus Crap

Obama has substance on values, where as McCain had stump crap speech. McCain is ready to wage war. He sees evil only in Osama Bin Laden. he need to recognise the evil in America- fathers abusing daughters. Corsi's Obama Nation book is evil. Is he going to defeat it ?McCain talked about his adopted daughter from Bangladesh- a muslim. Why did he say he adopted a muslim gilr?
    Why is it his daughter can be a christian but not Obama.. Obama's speech is inspiring, McCain's is a stump speech.
    McCain is an elist. His definition of rich is some one who makes 5 million is not rich?
    I am sorry I didn't like McCain's speech. Very arrogant, and responded to a few questions without thinking through.
    No diplomatic answers, no forging partnerships with other nations.
    Telling carefully crafted personal stories for sympathy.
    Values? Obafma's answers- Wife, mother, grandmother- McCain-trusts general patreus?
    McCain- you should write a book on war experiences .
    Obama will make a good president for the 21st century..

August 17, 2008 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  23. keesa

THIS IS THAT SAME EVENGALICAL FAITH THAT PRAY FOR RAIN ON THE DAY OBAMA GIVES HIS SPEECH AT THE CONVENTION.

August 17, 2008 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  24. Ralph Peoria, Il

McCain would love to overturn Roe Vs. Wade. This would give him millions of more babies born into poverty that he could attract to the military to build his army. Then send them to die in far away lands (Lands that happen to have large oil reserves) to protect America.

Wake up America. Don't be fooled again. Ever wonder why we hesitate to help poor nations with little or no natural resources?

Is everything fine in Darfur today?

August 17, 2008 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  25. Maria

This forum was a very enlightening event for me. I do not feel that the audiance was biased towards either canidate. I had planned to vote for Obama, until I saw the two in this forum. Obama was dodging questions, as was McCain, but I feel that McCain answered more in an open and honest manner than Obama. Come on Obama, I'm for you, stop with the stuttering, it makes you sound so fragile!

August 17, 2008 12:02 am at 12:02 am |