August 16th, 2008

Crowley: McCain talks his way into a 'lightning round'

LAKE FOREST, California (CNN) - Asked whether he believes in merit pay for teachers, McCain said yes - and let's find the bad teachers other jobs. The crowd loved it.

Warren pointed out to the staccato McCain - who was reeling off short, direct responses - that he was answering the questions so quickly he might face a few more (or, as Warren called it, "the lightning bonus round.")

Like Obama, McCain uses the "define rich" question to talk about taxes - where there is a very real, very big difference between the two.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Deb, Allentown, PA

McCain has never answered questions this quickly. Short, direct responses? I don't suppose it could be that he knew the questions before they were asked.

This was horribly scripted on the McCain side. "Are we going to get back to the justices?", before any mention was even made of the Supreme Court. So now McCain is prescient? Wow, I'm impressed.

And Candy, could you, as a responsible journalist, be just a little less in the tank for McCain?

August 16, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  2. tedious898

Now I see why McCain supporters and Pumas hate Barack so much. That guy is totally different from what america is used to...Barack stands out like a "sore thumb" to the establishment. Nobody (except for me and about 18 million plus supporters from the primaries) are the only ones that would love Barack and his campaign.

Rest of white america (most republicans and evangelicals, pumas) would never support Barack. I think its racism because I don't remember Bill Clinton getting these types of attacks and hatred.

August 16, 2008 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  3. Joice

I watched the program and I agree with Candi Crowley Senator McCain seemed to answer the questions before they were asked. Is it possible that he knew what was going to be asked???????

Both candidates were good but I learned more about Senator Obama and Senator McCain . I am still a supporter of Obama because I feel that McCain is

August 16, 2008 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  4. Kent Fitzsimmons,Kewanee, IL

McCain didn't want to answer what he thought "rich" was. Instead we had to listen to a bunch of jokes and alzheimers ramblings. I guess you don't ask a multimillionaire what "rich" is................

August 16, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  5. Joice

pro war and overly agressive about war and less informative on the state of the nation. i ALSO THINK THAT HE ETRIES TO PATRONIZE AFRICAN AMERICANS.

August 16, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  6. Dan Heagerty

John, reaffirmed that he is a good man in many ways as well as a Military mite. I'm going to sum it all up. I would never put a Transylvania Devil like McCcann in the oval office.

August 16, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  7. VOICE OF REASON

SIMPLY PROVES OBAMA HAS TO BE SCRIPTED AND TELEPROMPTED BY HANDLERS. ITS COMMON KNOWLEDGE HIS MESSIANIC SPEECHES ARE WRITTEN FOR HIM NOT BEAMED STRAIGHT FROM THE THRONE. REALITY IS HAPPENING NOW PEOPLE NOT IN TWO DAYS WHEN THE CAMERAS ARE ON.

August 16, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  8. Elizabeth

yeah, and I much preferred Obama's answer on the tax question.

August 16, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  9. lorraine Heckell

was this faire

August 16, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  10. Michele

I certainly don't want to pay more taxes either McCain. But how do we pay China back for the war??? Where does that money come from. We've heard this "read my lips" rhetoric before!

August 16, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  11. UndecidedVoterNoMore

JOHN MCCAIN ENERGIZED ME TO DO EVERYTHING I CAN TO MAKE SURE THAT OBAMA WINS...I don't care how concise he was...That guy is a war monger...I counted four legitimate war possibilities...We barely have enough troops to fight one...Draft Anyone?...On top of all this WAR INCREASES SPENDING AND YOUR GOING TO CUT TAXES...YOU ARE A COWARD AND A LIAR

Obama 08' Officially

August 16, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  12. unity

Warren asked McCain about Georgia – Why didn't he ask Obama about it as well?

August 16, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  13. Andy

Great answers... solid responces...
    McCain nailed it in this forum!

August 16, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  14. UndecidedVoterNoMore

Obama 08' Officially

August 16, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  15. Ron

David Brody of CBN and now a "CNN contributor," interviewed Obama tonight after the Debate, and used the term "calling a spade a spade." Are you people nuts having this idiot as a contributor?

August 16, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  16. jvf

Mc cain's lack of depth in his answers reflects the lack of depth in the man himself. I shudder to think of him occupying the Oval Office.

August 16, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  17. j. allison

mccain on his game please! if u see war as the solution to all our problems yea or think old war stories will solve our engrey problems ok. taxe,s he does not want cindy to pay anymore taxes. so if you want to hear granpa telling stories you had a great evening. but if u critically examie the real striaght talk it was all sounds bites, don't be fooled again.

August 16, 2008 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  18. DR. YES

direct answers.but ,did little to give insight into how or why he had come to the conclusion.he seemed coached with short answers that would be easier to remember.

August 16, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  19. Paul

McCain was giving campain speeches, Obama was talking from his mind. McCain won more votes, but Obama told the truth. Go figure what white middle America would vote for!!

Obama 08

August 16, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  20. Hasan

It seems like the eh..umm from Obama is him thinking unlike McCain who gave the answer in a flash, isnt that what we need before we push THE BUTTON in the time of war?

August 16, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  21. Lourdes

I was not impressed with McCain's soundbyte applause-line answers. Just telling the audience what they wanted to hear. Yuck.

August 16, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  22. Carmen C. Gonzalez

I am a mother who wanted to believe in John McCain, but wasn't convinced because of the Obama hipe. Today he convinced me. I can believe for the first time in a candidate. He gave me goose bumps.
    John McCain I was waiting for a performance like that for months.
    Thank You.
    P.S. Just lose the constant use of "my friends" if you go to the debate with that habit I will kringe.

August 16, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  23. Janice Crowley

I think Mccain didn't connect well, what he said was well said. It was nothing we don't hear on his trail. I dont feel any closer to Mccain than before. I think Mccain, talked about what he felt comfortable about. Tonight was more like a political c ampaign stump than a serious conversation to really get to know how he thinks and makes decisions. Obama on the other hand was more personal, serious, more open and honest about his beliefs. You can tell that he was seriously thinking about what he wanted to say and Mccain was answering the question before he heard the answer. I don't believe Mccain didn't hear the questions for the first time. It seems more set up. Mccain needs to be more open and get people to know him. I don't trust Mccain and tonight he hasn't changed that. Obama 08

August 16, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  24. PleaseNoMore

Mccain really scared me tonight...Particularly on his response to the evil question...He didnt cited drugs, serial killers, rapists as evil, he cited radical Islam...And then he said he wouldn't stop until he defeated it...Well do you know that 20% of the entire world population is muslim....And many of them have anti-american sentiment...Do you plan on trying to ethnically cleanse all those people?...We have to work together because we cannot defeat an idea...we can only contain it

August 16, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  25. Mr Magoo

Candy Crowley, I thought the point of this was to answer the questions thoughtfully, not robotic sticatto.
    If the crowd loved it, then they are just the far right jesus freaks that respond to nothing but his kneejerk far right pandering slogans of 'I was POW',' Isalamo Facist' whateverism, and yes no answers. What a load of crap this was
    Obama answered the questions from the heart. Magoo just ran a recruitment poster for the military. Evry wored was a stump speech from MaGoo .
    Judging by the audience reaction,

Obama did pretty well considering these are far more difficult to answer for him than McCain. Definately a sheep audience and softball set-up for McCAin. Definately an away game for Obama.
    I an proud of Obama. But the media appears to be giving this to McCAin.
    Too bad almost everyine else but us here are watching the Olympics.
    He wont win over very many based on this night, though

August 16, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |