August 16th, 2008

McCain backer takes on Howard Dean over 'white' remark

DNC Howard Dean, pictured here with Sens. Clinton and Obama and former Sen. Edwards, said Friday that people of color and women have historically been more successful in the Democratic Party.

(CNN) – Carly Fiorina, a supporter of Sen. John McCain and the chair of the Republican National Committee’s Victory 2008 campaign, took aim at Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean over racially-tinged comments Dean made Friday.

“If you look at folks of color, even women, they’re more successful in the Democratic Party than they are in the white, uh, excuse me, in the Republican Party,” Dean said Friday in an appearance on NPR’s “Tell Me More” program.

Fiorina, a prominent female supporter of McCain, fired back at Dean. “It is disappointing to see Howard Dean trying to use gender and race to divide voters," Fiorina said Friday evening in a statement released by the McCain campaign. "His comments are insulting, inappropriate and have no place in this election.”

McCain, the presumptive Republican nominee, is set to face off in November against Sen. Barack Obama, who is about to become the first African-American to garner the nomination of a major political party. Obama beat out Sen. Hillary Clinton in a long, hard-fought primary race that galvanized many women behind Clinton’s candidacy and many African-Americans behind Obama’s.

Filed under: Howard Dean • Popular Posts
  1. Racists for Obama

Here we go again.

Vote Obama or else...
    riots in the street.
    Black out of the vote
    wear a racist label around your neck.

We are tired of race-baiting and insults and inflaming racial division just to install Obama.

August 16, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  2. Alice in Florida

Oh – goodness! Howard Dean "The Scream" is now crying "RACIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

ROFLMAO! I LOVE it when the Dimocrats (I used to be one, I am ashamed to say) play the race card

I used to like Obama – now, after his hate-filled TOTALLY RACIST formerly beloved whacko Reverend Former Uncle Looney was let out of the closet

I believe Barack (if elected) will lead us into the abyss

Georgy Boy paved the way – Obama will lead us there!

August 16, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  3. Jerry

It doesn't surprise me one bit to hear Coward Dean speak like this, what has happened to the Democratic party? It has been taken over by a bunch of race baiting losers!! I am now an Independant after being a Democrat all of my life,!! Teach the DNC a lesson and dump the Fool-Aid!!

August 16, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  4. DocReal

Is "white" a bad word now? Nice try to gin up controversy where there is none.

August 16, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  5. Nando, Florida

ITS TRUE !!!!!!!!!!!

August 16, 2008 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  6. Xavier

and how is this different from the Republican party parading Condoliza Rice and Gonzales so as to show that they are an inclusive party. Truth hurts, but the Republican party has always looked down on minorities, and only used them when needed. Can you say Border Wall and doing away with Affirmative Action.

August 16, 2008 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  7. michelle

that was funny! i'm not saying, "go howard dean" or anything, but it made me chuckle.

August 16, 2008 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  8. lol

howard dean should step down. the dnc stood by and allowed bill clinton to look racist, when in fact he has done so much for the african american community. the race card is being played by howard dean, and the republicans will not allow it. dean is racist, and sexist too. the way hillary was treated by the dnc during the primaries was disgusting.

August 16, 2008 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  9. DONE WITH THE DEMS

Mr. Dean is part of the problem.He should keep his big mouth shut. He should have learned his lesson during his campain. I am a former dem who is voting for Hilary Cllinton in Nov. Not because I am angry she didnt win the nomination. Becuase she is the most qualified person to run this country. PERIOD... The Dnc I have no use for anymore. They have divided the party and the country. Pelosi is a joke. I thought Obama flip flops on issues. Pelosi is just as bad. She recently went with Obamas point of vue on off shore drilling, after totally being against it. Its people like her and McCaskhill that give we woman a bad name. McCaskhill endorsed Obama after her CHILDREN took a liking to him. Her CHILDREN>>> I love my kids, and I would do anything for them, but this woman represents her constituents in her district and her CHILDREN made her decision for her. Thats disgraceful. Pelosi is a lam duck speaker. I was so excited when she became speaker, but she has been a huge dissapointment. I will write in Hilary and encourage all my fellow ex dems to do the same, Howard Dean should check the stats on how many dems have gone independent. He will be very surprised.

August 16, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  10. OMG Dean

Yes, I'm Republican, and I happen to be caucasion. More importantly, I'm an American, and served in our military for 9 years. I would like to hear how comments like Dean's will make this country better. I have five kids, all of which I'm struggling to put though private Catholic Schools because the public school system in my state is horrible. Hey Mr. Dean what are you doing about that? What are you doing to help me? I have an answer, "NOTHING, YOU'RE DOING ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, BUT PITTING RACE AGAINST RACE". Do us a favor, better yourself, then help the rest of us struggling Americans better this country.

August 16, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  11. Foreign Observer

"His comments are insulting, inappropriate and have no place in this election," Carly says. Note she doesn't say Dean was wrong...

August 16, 2008 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  12. Sue in MI

While there are some prominent black and female Republicans, for the most part,he's correct, although politically incorrect to have said it, I guess.
    But then, he's the brilliant thinker who decided Obama was more electable than Clinton, which remains to be seen.

August 16, 2008 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  13. kevin from the Peake

Where is the outrage from the Dems about a racist remark. Oh, sorry, that only applies if a conservative says something. I am thankful that I am intelligent enough to reject the hypocrisy of both dems and reps.

August 16, 2008 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  14. Keven Bennett

Well, what do you think would Rush Limbaugh have to say about this?

August 16, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  15. Curtis

Stupid, stupid, stupid. Dean's mouth gets him and his party in trouble yet again. It's like he just can't help himself. He starts talking, gets a little too comfortable with his own words and crosses the line.

He just fed the competitor some solid material to work with for awhile.

Way to go, slick.

August 16, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  16. Ryan in MO

truth hurts

August 16, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  17. tactics of hatred do not inspire unity

The DNC continues to force Obama down the throats of the American people- who the democrats apparently feel are too stupid to be able to make up their own minds.

Force, threats, insults and coercion stole the nomination for Obama. It will not work with the GE.

August 16, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  18. Cajun

Suprise Suprise Suprise (Gomer Pyle Voice)

August 16, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  19. DMC, USA

What do people expect from Howard Dean? Seriously. He has shown a propensity for speaking prior to thinking. No surprise here. I have always wondered why the Dems would place him as the chair of their DNC. Time bomb waiting to blow.

August 16, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  20. Obamanation

"even women'?.... glad to hear that female people are people too.

August 16, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  21. Tim Kemp

THAT'S THE WAY DEMOCRATS WORK......................

PLAY THE RACE CARD LIKE OBAMA DOES AND SAY "O I DIDN'T MEAN TO SAY THAT". THEY, LIKE BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA, ARE THE MOST RACIST PARTY IN THE USA. ITS NOT NEWS THAT OBAMA WANTS TO PUNISH THE US OF A BY BRINGING IT TO ITS KNEES ECONOMICAL AND A PERSONAL VENDETTA TO DESTROY THE US OF A WORLD WIDE BECAUSE OF ITS STANCE IN THE WORLD AND HIS PERSONAL BELIEFS THAT I WANT COMMENT ON............

August 16, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  22. BHO FTL

Dean should be sent to Iraq, to pander over there...... what an irrelevant idiot... oh well you may have just ruined your token's chances with that comment.

August 16, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  23. tj

If the shoe fits, wear it. Sounds like Mr. Dean's comment was right on target. Maybe the good ol' boys club will have to change eventually.

August 16, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  24. Mac Acts... Bama Talks.

Racial division all over the DNC...
    Obama playing race card politics...
    Now Dean just being plain ignorant and generalizing... Or basically racial profiling which is illegal in law enforcement but ok for the DNC???
    Obama's wife saying she hates white people and is not proud of America...
    Rev. Wright, Obama's pastor for 20 some years til recently(til polls) insulted America and is a blatant racist...

Really... Dems is this what you want? Cuz you got it... Racial division all over. Not to mention division in your own party.

McCain '08

August 16, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  25. A house further divided

REAL successful, Dean.... that is why you all politically raped your own best candidate for being a white woman.

Shame of HRC for being a qualified person when we were looking for an unqualified black man.

August 16, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |