August 16th, 2008

Schneider: McCain again circles back to the personal

(CNN) - John McCain again relates a very dramatic and very personal story of his captivity - again emphasizing his personal sacrifice and experience, the basis of his appeal.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Ilona Hussein Proud Canadian

THIS WAS AN INTERVIEW GEARED TO ALLOW McCAIN TO SPOUT HIS WAR DAYS!

August 16, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  2. Ratgurl

It's called pandering for pity.

August 16, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  3. ELL

Everything is centered around war, somehow we get back to winning an endless war with McCain! I did like a more reasonable, realistic approach with Obama's answers because everything is not black and white......................It' called comprise and realistic approaches to real issues!

August 16, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  4. Diane Dagenais Turbide

Hi Jack,

we get the all of his sacrifices but does he get all the sacrifice he will also have to decide for poverty and climate change!

August 16, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  5. Monica for Obama in Indiana

It would be great is someone told the true story about mccain and what happened while he was a pow. Google: Songbird John McCain

August 16, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  6. Kent Fitzsimmons,Kewanee, IL

War,war,war..............that is all we will get with McCain. That is the future of the US if we elect him in.................

August 16, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  7. Michele

I applaud McCain's personal sacrifice, but still don't see how this qualifies him to be President. The war talk is also not gaining ground with young voters. The Vietnam War is so far removed from their consciousness, he needs to talk about the present to capture the younger voters.

August 16, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  8. Ms. Holmes

Does this guy have any other life experiences other than his captivity in Vietnam? He's a typical "old white haired dude" by telling all these lovely but boring stories. I feel as though he was attempting to get the sympathy vote. Tell me something NEW!

August 16, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  9. DR. YES

that makes you a good man.but,not necessarily a good leader.

August 16, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  10. Lourdes

same old same old. this told me nothing of his VALUES. i did not get a sense of how his MORALITY is shaped. Only more of the same self-congratulating chest thumping sound-byte nonsense. MCCAIN IS AN EMPTY SUIT that happens to have a compelling military narrative that he can exploit.

August 16, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  11. Chris from NY

What else can he talk about. It's all about him and not someone else. It's all about defeating evil when God said He created good and evil for His pleasure. If God made it evil will be here until God decides He's doesn't have pleasure in it any longer.

August 16, 2008 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  12. Fella from Chicago

Smart man to recognize his strengths. And yours Barack? Ah..Ah..where's my teleprompter?

August 16, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  13. Farrell, Houston, Tx

What about the men and women serving in Iraq, a war that McCain voted for based on lies. This is a bunch of crap.

August 16, 2008 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  14. Ralph Peoria, Il

I'm growing weary of this John McCain war hero stuff. Is War all we care about?

There are 58,000 plus real heroes names on the wall in D.C..

All gave some, "SOME GAVE ALL"

August 16, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  15. Wendy

It is unforfunate what happened to McCain. Should we vote for him because we feel sorry for him? I think not. And I don't think he should continue to use these stories to gain votes.

August 16, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  16. Every Wilson

John McCain was on his game, he was irreconcilible on every issue, uncompromising, thuwart, conventional, alienistic, hard, symbol of the old guard, partisan, old politics, old washington, old way of thinking, nonfuturistic in thinking and nonintrusive as usual. But, he wants Americans to believe, he is diplomatic, a communicator, thinker, non-partisan, compromiser, thoughtful and caring. He is dangerous for America and the World! As a leader whose idol is Ronald Reagan and Teddy Roosevelt Whose big stick, cowboy policies helped to shape republican ideology, I am strongly concerned that if he is elected, their will be less diplomacy and numerous Wars and conflicts around he'll draw America into, to support their political platform. We have that already with George Bush, and our country is reeling due to supreme egotistical, arrogant, lone ranger mentality. The hundreds of hours of rehearsal paid off for McCain today, he did a George Bush on America again today! When will we wake up! Look like its back to the future again! Will we ever learn! Will this country ever begin to realize World War III will happen when we have leaders wh are ardent uncompromising agents their ideology who will forcefully succuumb every country in the world if possible to our countries detriment.

August 16, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  17. Barbara - 65 yr old white female in NC

Me Me Me Me Me Me Me. He doesn't care about us.

I want a president that cares about us. I'm sick of his stories. Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me ................

August 16, 2008 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  18. GrandMa

All he has story war story not real leader only story not policy

August 16, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  19. Kris K from CA

McCain is definitely not the kind of man I want in the White House with the multitude of issues pending for America. He is not a listener. He has all the answers. That was apparent tonight. I need someone who can think things out in a rational and educated manner.Get along with people and build confidence and gather the facts and able to evaluate situations for the best outcome.Obama showed he can and will do that. McCain knows it all-that puts us a risk.

August 16, 2008 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  20. are you serious?

I laughed i cried it was better than cats. im going to watch it again and again.

Give me a break. It was theatre.

I don't care HOW many times John calls me his friend. I'm not his friend and have a difficult time trusting people who are trying to get something from me (my vote) when they disrespect that and beat me over the head by calling me their "friend".... be it a car salesman, a gas station attendant, OR a presidential candidate.. Sorry John, you have to EARN my friendship and my vote, and you're not getting there any faster by telling me vietnam stories..

My ex boss used to tell vietnam stories too, he also robbed each of his employees blind until he was caught and put in jail.

Contrary to your apparent belief, the sympathy card is not a high value card.

August 17, 2008 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  21. Jack Yaeger, Texas

As a veteran I must commend McCain. When asked a question he dutifully avoided intellectual substance and sought to appeal to the sympathetic tendencies of the audience with reminiscences of his Vietnam imprisonment. Noble, yes, but relevant to the well-being of the country and prosperity of all Americans, no. His performance was unbelievably shallow and predictable. We just don't need another four years of Bush-type singlemindedness and warmongering. I thought Obama sounded genuine, thoughtful and astute – three words that McCain cannot pronounce or understand – in all of his responses. These attributes have been absent from American politics for a woefully long time. John McCain remains an enigma to as the Republican that I am. Thank you!

August 17, 2008 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  22. JT

To paraphrase a comment about Guiliani, McCain's speeches and political positions seem to only reflect "a noun, a verb, and prisoner of war."
    I find him frightening, not decisive, because he tries to answer extremely complex questions and issues with a simple yes or no. The problems we face require thought and reflection- not a quick knee-jerk reaction. How simple life could be if all issues were only black-and-white- with no gray areas!

August 17, 2008 12:12 am at 12:12 am |
  23. tedious898

John Rambo is Ready to Lead. Yippee America....we're saved

August 17, 2008 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  24. aware

McCain has an authentic story to tell. Obama has a book filled with half-truths at best.

McCain 08 – gravitas, integrity, grit, decisiveness, authenticity and humility! :)

August 17, 2008 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  25. Reality

John McCains poor judgement caused the death and destruction on the USS Forrestal, look it up !!!!!!

August 17, 2008 12:34 am at 12:34 am |