August 16th, 2008

Schneider: McCain takes advantage of an opening

(CNN) - John McCain used the opportunity to bring up one of his big campaign issues – oil drilling. Rick Warren gave him an opening, and he took it.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Larry Griffis

I thought John McCain dodged every question and went on a standardized stump speech covering the topics he wanted to adress regardless of the question. My wife and I watched the entire program and both of us kept saying, "Answer the question" each time MeCain went on a tangent. I thought Obama's answer were thoughtful and truthful. In my opinion Obama did a much better job.

August 16, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  2. Robbi Bunten

I think John McCain played the torture card a little too much in his performance tonight. I realize it was a great sacrifice for him, but I think he plays on the sympathy of others too much at times. I also think that he said things that went unnoticed. For instance, he made a big speech about how the US is the only country in the world that has been willing to go to foreign lands and spill their blood for the sake of freedom, I couldn't believe it. What about all the people who have died from European countries that have fought in wars for the sake of others freedom? God, I hope someone has the courage to mention this in their analysis of the forum.

August 16, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  3. Michele

Yeah, yeah....really, how long will it take to get this oil?? I really don't appreciate the three card monty McCain is playing about this off shore drilling issue and how they are making fun of Obama's suggestions to include more personal responsibility regarding energy conservation. Obama is trying to promote the Christian values of personal ownership while McCain just wants to wield the sword, except in Darfur.

August 16, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  4. linda in illinois

Drill where you already have leases!!!! STOP doing BUSH BIDDING
    and THE OIL COMPANIES. It does not become you

August 16, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  5. Robert

But, wasn't this about faith? Religion?

I only watched this nonsense because I'm tired of drill, drill, drill, war, war, war, "my friends", "my friends", "my friends."

Whether you meant to or not, Bill, you just admitted that this was nothing more than a chance for McCain to look good.

Well, your jobs at CNN should be easier. You've got something to legitimately praise McCain for, rather than making things up, as you usually do...

August 16, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  6. cal

reading your stump speech is not taking advantage of an opening. it is failing to adhere to the rules of the forum.

August 16, 2008 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  7. AIB

Stupid and incoherent policy from someone who is losing his bearings.

August 16, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  8. Denise

Of course he did. This was a conservative crowd. McCain was selling himself to them, but he still will not win

August 16, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  9. Obama Supporter VA

Pandering and War

August 16, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  10. Avee----Richmond, VA

Drill here Drill now....yeah yeah we know the Drill.

August 16, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  11. Every Wilson

John McCain was on his game, he was irreconcilible on every issue, uncompromising, thuwart, conventional, alienistic, hard, symbol of the old guard, partisan, old politics, old washington, old way of thinking, nonfuturistic in thinking and nonintrusive as usual. But, he wants Americans to believe, he is diplomatic, a communicator, thinker, non-partisan, compromiser, thoughtful and caring. He is dangerous for America and the World! As a leader whose idol is Ronald Reagan and Teddy Roosevelt Whose big stick, cowboy policies helped to shape republican ideology, I am strongly concerned that if he is elected, their will be less diplomacy and numerous Wars and conflicts around he'll draw America into, to support their political platform. We have that already with George Bush, and our country is reeling due to supreme egotistical, arrogant, lone ranger mentality. The hundreds of hours of rehearsal paid off for McCain today, he did a George Bush on America again today! When will we wake up! Look like its back to the future again! Will we ever learn! Will this country ever begin to realize World War III will happen when we have leaders wh are ardent uncompromising agents their ideology who will forcefully succuumb every country in the world if possible to our countries detriment.

August 16, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  12. Wendy

Rick Warren gave McCain alot of opportunities to lead the conversation in his own direction rather than answer with thoughtful answers.

August 16, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  13. Sickening

This whole forum thing was a stupid idea! All it was was an opportunity for an evangelical mega church preacher to get the religious right to get pumped up about a candidate (McBush) who they were not too fond of. Warren fed McSame questions he knew would help him. I have an idea! the candidates should have a forum at my house and I can feed Obama questions to make him sound good. It'll be the same thing!

August 17, 2008 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  14. aware

Right again!

McCain was on the mark while Obama parsed, equivocated and evaded!

Mccain 08! :)

August 17, 2008 12:22 am at 12:22 am |
  15. Barbara - 65 yr old white female in NC

Another 40 minute stump speech (the same one over and over and over and over) with the reverend throwing in a few questions WHICH DID NOT GET ANSWERED OR EVEN THOUGHT ABOUT BY MCCAIN !!!!!!

August 17, 2008 12:32 am at 12:32 am |
  16. high information voter

Did anyone else get the distinct feeling that McCain knew what questions were coming? His answers seemed very rehearsed...unlike Obama who actually took time to think about the questions before answering. Strange.

August 17, 2008 12:37 am at 12:37 am |
  17. Mike

More like Rick hand fed him the opportunity to talk about energy. A chance that he conspicuously denied to Obama.

August 17, 2008 12:48 am at 12:48 am |
  18. Carl from MI

Takes advantage of an opening?? He lobbed him a softball pitch to hit out of the park!! It was obviously choreographed and well-rehearsed. How lame!!

Once again, where's the objective reporting??

Can you be any more OBVIOUS about which candidate you favor and are going to vote for? Somebody also should have gotten you a baby's bib to soak up all that drooling you did over McCain tonight. You're also on the wrong network... Fox News called and said you've earned your 'fair and balanced' stripes!!!

August 17, 2008 12:49 am at 12:49 am |
  19. Linda,Fl

we all will get NOTHING from "drill-drill-drill"
    NOTHING.
    1% more oil in 10 years?
    Who gave the price – how much this oil will cost?
    At a glance – mich higher. than anywhere else in the World.
    So, as Patriots, we should buy the most expensive "american-born "oil & gas, thanks to all Bush's and McBushs.
    That's what you want????

August 17, 2008 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  20. nelda

Again, oil drilling and faith ? Wasn't McCain there to talk about his faith but instead use the stage as a "free" ride to campaign.
    Very sad,..... Clearly showed poor character and judgement tonight.

August 17, 2008 01:10 am at 1:10 am |
  21. Kate/MA

NEW AD FOR McC:
    My Friends, do not despair, I will do all I can to add to your multi-million dollar bank accounts. Just continue to donate to my campaign and when I'm President, I will use my Executive Power to see that you can drill for oil anywhere you want to. Even if it means ruinning the West and East Coasts of this country we live in. Who cares if people don't have the beautiful coastlines anymore. I live in Arizona and the desert is beautiful. Come on, America, move away from the coasts to the desert. Enjoy our 100+ degree weather where as you drive on the highway you can smell the burning tires on our SUV's, etc from the heat of the roads. America, you will love it when I'm President. I'll see that all of our domestic oil will be sold to the Middle East (I have to help my oil buddies) and you can live on the Wind Power that I'll see is developed for you.With all the hot air coming from my White House and Administration you should not have any trouble getting enough wind to turn the props. After all,my friends, isn't that what friends are for!!!!
    Hope you have a laugh, Mr. S. reading this one. Things are getting silly now that the end of the campaigning is getting ready to go into high gear within the next few weeks.

August 17, 2008 01:30 am at 1:30 am |
  22. Becky Montgomery

We all know that drilling here, drilling now is not going to work for years and then will only bring down the price of oil a little, if at all.

Why don't we just keep the oil we already drill instead of exporting a record amount of it, according to Forbes?

Obama gave the honest answer about energy. McCain likes to talk about getting Congress back to work, but there were eight votes on energy before they broke, and the Republicans voted AGAINST the bill that would include alternate forms of energy every time. McCain hasn't voted since April on anything, so he has no right to criticize anyone. When he has voted in the past, he is an oil man and has voted against the alternate forms that we must develop. He is a pandering, pitiful man.

August 17, 2008 01:35 am at 1:35 am |