August 16th, 2008

Schneider: McCain's appeal is personal, not political

(CNN) - This is what voters like most about McCain: his personal story. McCain's appeal in this campaign is primary personal, not political, and he's seizing the chance to relate his personal story, his time as a prisoner of war.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Wade

Gosh...McCain only talks about war. This is disturbing. Is that the only thing he knows? Bill Schneider and Candy Crowley please help me get the answer to this question. Thanks.

August 16, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  2. get a life

And he also says Meg Whitman of Ebay is one of the 3 wisest people he knows. What a farce. Ebay is a junk hole of fraud, scams and thieves. Lead for the last 10 years by Meg Whitman. My friend.

August 16, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  3. Foreign Observer

One sentence - all you need to know if you wonder why the US is going down the drain. Politics, "my friends," is about policy. It is policy that dictates whether there is work, whether there is a clean environment, whether there is wealth for all, whether kids are getting a good education, whether science thrives etc.

August 16, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  4. TN for Obama

But his appeal should be how he thinks through problems America is going to face during his presidency!

General Petraeus is one of the best thinkers he can think of? What an odd way to bring up the war! It seems to me that he has talking points and he's going to cover them no matter what the question is going to be.

August 16, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  5. John

I really don't agree. He should be proud of what he did as a prisoner of war but it will not make him a good president. I want to know what his views are not what he did while a prisoner of war.

August 16, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  6. TheTruthHurts

I even like that about him. He's trying to be honest. That's good. Great Christian story. That's why one needs to focus on what these guys will do, not just whether they speak well or they buck a trend from time to time. I don't want a beer with these guys, I want to fix the problems in the country.

August 16, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  7. Shirlee

McCain's comments sound like stump speeches to me. War is personal to McCain.

August 16, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  8. tx independent

GW is a very likeable guy also but he failed as the commander of chief

August 16, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  9. Cindy Sun

My friends: all of these questions are tailored to let JohnMcCain show off his war hero status and promote his war agenda, and oil drilling hysteria.

August 16, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  10. Lou R

Rick Warren has allowed McCain to pander the viewing audience. McCain the war monger gets to skate, using his time to use his stump speech comments. The second hour of the discussion is a shame!

August 16, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  11. Shawn Broda

I have to disagree – what I like least about him is the fact that he always circles back to his past as a POW. He talked about focusing on things bigger than ourselves, but he keeps circling back to his own past, making it all about him. He needs to move on and get up to speed with the rest of us.

August 16, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  12. Latinos for Obama

Though McCain shares personal stories much of what he says is a political speech. Using the term "my friends" indicates he is more political than personal.

August 16, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  13. rayster

John was given too much time for his stories leaving less time for the questions that I thought were good.
    Barak managed to stick to the questions and replyed . this has been the best form yet. no gang takles

August 16, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  14. Phyllis

Its sad this man's entire life is about war. Every question he answers he does it about a past or present war. He has no other life. How can he lead a country thats not a war. Or will we always be at war with him in the white house. The only man he would consult with a difficult problem would be a general.

August 16, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  15. Reality

You mean when he signed a document renouncing America when he was a prisoner? Let us remember that not every prisoner of war at that time signed that document!!!

August 16, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  16. Phyllis

Was he supposed to answer questions or just continue his campaign speeches. I am not learning anything about him except what I've been hearing. This is a waste of time I thought this was a question and answer program.

August 16, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  17. Comment...

Schnieder, I'm not sure how your absorbing McCain's demeanor, but it is very political.

August 16, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  18. Sabreen60

I totally disagree. McCain gave a stump speech with most of his answers. They were political and he was clearly pandering. Pathetic.

August 16, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  19. susan

I think it's a terrible shame that McCain has used this opportunity and those outstanding questions to hawk his campaign points. Obama, in contrast, honored the forum with the thoughtfulness and personal integrity that it and we deserve.

August 16, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  20. Victoria Brown

So because he was a war hero 40 years ago that makes him the better candidate? I know what he went through in Vietnam I read his book. But that was then, this is now. Stop pointing out his war record.

August 16, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  21. Carole B

I beg to disagree. Every word out of McCain's mouth seems designed to take over the casual personal format in order to create a stump where he could pander to the audience he knew shared his conservative views. Every time John McCain said "my friends" I wanted to cringe. John McCain is winning the audience over big time, but that is because he knows how to say the right things. When it no longer serves his purpose though, he says something different- like on torture. Obama's problem was he played fair and didn't use the time to tell personal "story" after "story" after "story" designed to make him look like a hero. Saint John annointed himself, but he never changed my mind about him. He is not a spiritual man like Obama and not a straght talker. He is a great politician and a terrific saleman. Pots and pans anyone? Or a real change in America? It's up to you.

August 16, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  22. LOL

Too bad that story had nothing to do with the question, and it does nothing to tell me why I should vote for him.

August 16, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  23. H. D. Weaver

I commend Sen. McCain's war record but it is time to bring this conversation into 2008 and what have you don't lately. I don't (personally) believe that his war/prisoner record qualifies him to make good decisions for the Nation today.

August 16, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  24. Janice James

I believe he's a real man that can be tough on ethnic cleansing, and Corp Crookedness.
    He cam off as a Leader, McCain did.
    Janice J
    Denver CO

August 16, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  25. Diane Dagenais Turbide

Hi Jack,

people do not want a buddy or a close friend in the White House!

August 16, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |