August 16th, 2008

Schneider: McCain's appeal is personal, not political

(CNN) - This is what voters like most about McCain: his personal story. McCain's appeal in this campaign is primary personal, not political, and he's seizing the chance to relate his personal story, his time as a prisoner of war.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Desmond Sequeira

There is no doubt that Mr. McCain is generally a good person with good intentions, especially when he or his campaign are not engaging in cheap attacks. But are his perspectives, proposed policies and belligerant disposition good for the USA and the world. I humbly suggest, "No".

August 16, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  2. KENT in NC

My feelings about many of the responses of McCain were geared towards generating sympathy for him thus making it easier for people to relate, accept and ultimately vote for him. ADVANTAGE McCain

August 16, 2008 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  3. LAVON K HUMMEL

Yes McCain loves to tell this story and it is a great tale. He is to be comended for this. The only proplem is its like listen to your very very old uncle who alway says, have I ever told you, and your thinking to your self yes, yes you have told me your story. Over and Over AND OVER, But you listen anyway. out of kindness and respect. cause you know thats all the poor S.O.B. has left. But he is not my uncle, and he dosn't want it to be over. Somebody better tell him quick like. Before he has a new war story to tell. on all our behalf. Enough with war loving B.S.

August 16, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  4. Avee----Richmond, VA

McCain has spoken better than he I ever heard him before. His personal stories are very touching. But that doesn't mean his policies for the country are as good as his war stories.

August 16, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  5. Debra

I disagree, Mccains appeal is "America and Country first", that is bipartisan.

August 16, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  6. pam Eugene OR

YEP, you deleted it CNN.
    I knew you would. It does not take a special talent or a special man to be shot down.
    We have heard the victim story 100 times. If you don't know it by heart you have been living in cave. That was over 40 years ago.
    Yet, McShame learned nothing from it. He still wants to bomb bomb bomb! He can't wait to get US into another war. That is all he knows.
    Print this CNN

August 16, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  7. Avee----Richmond, VA

I like a lot of people personally, that doesn't mean I would vote for them to be President.

August 16, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  8. Lucious

I think that McCain lays on his military history way too much. How long ago was that? What has his life been like since then? Make no mistake about it that I am a proud veteran of the Iraq war and I hold very high regard for anyone that has the fortitude to serve. But to use that over and over really sounds like political pandering. Everybody knows that the American people hold very soft spots for veterans but to use that, in my opinion, is just poking a nerve that you know for sure you'll get a reaction.

August 16, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  9. Alice

I disagree wholeheartedly. McCain's answers were totally political. He repeated his stump speeches. I learned nothing about MCain the man other than what everyone knows about his military service. Obama, on the otherhand, seemed to embrace the context of the questions. He played by the rules of this venue and offered us a glimpse into who he is, and intelligent, thoughtful, multi-dimensional human being. McCain used the opportunity to appeal to the conservative base and delivered his same-old polarizing, non-thinking ideology that if he is elected will take America further down the slippery slope of doom and gloom the present administration has placed us. Furthermore, I think he had the questions ahead of time. He was too quick to answer. Sometimes before the questions were asked.

August 16, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  10. Alice

I disagree wholeheartedly. McCain's answers were totally political. He repeated his stump speeches. I learned nothing about MCain the man other than what everyone knows about his military service. Obama, on the otherhand, seemed to embrace the context of the questions. He played by the rules of this venue and offered us a glimpse into who he is, an intelligent, thoughtful, multi-dimensional human being. McCain used the opportunity to appeal to the conservative base and delivered his same-old polarizing, non-thinking ideology that if he is elected will take America further down the slippery slope of doom and gloom the present administration has placed us on. Furthermore, I think he had the questions ahead of time. He was too quick to answer. Sometimes before the questions were asked.

August 16, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  11. Cathy

I think it was the total opposite. McCain may have had some heart tugging stories that ALL AMERICANS can fell but then he went right into campaign and being the bully that he is. I as all American will sympathize with his POW days but that isn't going to win my vote.

I feel McCain tried to flex ever chance he got and I didn't learn anything more about his on a personal level then I knew before...that he was a POW. I felt that Obama continues to show how he will be as a strong leader of this country. Obama is insightful, analytical and careful in make decision. Obama does not just jump into a decision because he thinks he is right.

McCain again shows that his mind is set on one thing...and that is war!

August 16, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  12. judge and jury

Answers were given with deep thought and concern esp. with the evil question from Obama. Evil is everywhere not just WAR!

Also I thought McCain was entertaining looked at the crowd for approval avoided looking at the speaker, as if he would see through him??? It was very strange to see him go so far out there with stories unrelated to the questions aked. He could have been on stage by himself........................................................................
    concerned about his overall mmind set of war!

August 16, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  13. Ms. Holmes

WHAT? This was TOTALLY political. This guy was pandering to the "Pro McCain" audience and cameras. I'm sick and tired of the same old-same old from this guy and others like him. THANK YOU John McCain for serving our country! Guess what........"We Served Too"! Get over it! You can't squeeze anymore votes out of your worn out and BORING war stories. Why don't you go and sit around the VA and listen to some more recent and relevant stories and relate those. UNBELIEVABLE!!!

August 16, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  14. DR. YES

i agree,again.i read his story as a teen in the late seventys,and always thought of mccain as a hero.however,his campaign tactics of late,have not capitalized on that,and has shown him to be out of touch,with the reasons why our government as stopped working for the peeps.

August 16, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  15. KENT in NC

I feel like both candidates did a fine job tonight. It was 2 hours of information that I wanted. I must admit that I was a bit bothered by the fact that Senator McCain seemed to relate almost everything back to National Security. While many people are moved by stories as they can better relate, I am not so moved to hear stories as McCain ventured into. I felt he got himself off track and wasted time doing this.

August 16, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  16. judyo

McCain changed the focus of every question to tell a story about his experiences in war.

The Presidency is NOT just about war, McCain.

ANSWER A DIRECT QUESTION, McCain!

August 16, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  17. Norma

McCain's time as a prisoner of war does not appeal to me, because it does not automatically make him qualified to be president. He was shot down almost immediately when he began fighting. He was a prisoner for 5 years so where did he get all the hands on military experience in a combat zone that he likes to tout?

He has a one track mind.... war and more war!

August 16, 2008 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  18. ALL the facts please

McCain is a smooth politician alright. This guy is about as slimey as the oil industry can get.

August 16, 2008 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  19. Chris from NY

How does that pay my house rent or save people from foreclosure? And for Christ's sake it was something that happened nearly fourty years ago.

August 16, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  20. Nicolette

Tonight was a staged set-up for McCain. He said everything the conservatives wanted to hear. That crowd was for McCain. McCain is completely one sided and unreasonable. Obama is what this country needs, because these issues, they are gray areas. The whole country is not a country of just evangelicals, and McCain, as well as the evangelicals, NEED TO GET THAT THROUGH THEIR THICK SKULLS!

August 16, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  21. Denise

I did not want to hear anymore stories from McC about his war days. I wanted him to discuss his faith. Apparently he as none. e enjoys murdering too much

August 16, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  22. Egg

McCain is personal not political? He was barely answering the questions and then giving political speeches or stories that were not relevant to the questions.

August 16, 2008 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  23. Kris a Dem from MCcain land

He had my ear on his personal story. He is a good man. Clearly does not move me as a leader tho. Not voting for MCcain in MCainland.

August 16, 2008 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  24. bison

He told the war story at every twist and turn.

August 16, 2008 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  25. Karen-phoenix

McCain came accross as narcistic and old war stories. Obama came accross as a humanitarian who gave careful, thought out answers to problems. He even gave a great answer to the abortion problem. Help the women find alternatives and give them medical and counceling help for adoption. McCain just said NO abortion. Are going back to when women were butchered in back alleys? Obama even quoted Mathew and truely believes were are our brothers keeper.

August 16, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |