August 16th, 2008

Schneider: Unexpected questions from Rick Warren

(CNN) - What’s interesting here is that Pastor Rick Warren is asking some of the most astute questions I’ve ever heard in a debate - and so far they’re not about religion and values. They’re very sharp political questions.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. PE

This is not a debate!

August 16, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  2. Harry Fisher

It's an amazing thing that In America no politician dares ignore the fundamentalist religious. Why did Obama go to Saddleback when the hardcore religious always vote Republican, I wonder? I long for a candidate who will give the finger to the religious right, the fascists that they are.

August 16, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  3. Matthew

I appreciate Warren's questions thus far....but what I cant get over.....have they actually salt & peppered Obama's flock? Does a good colorist = experience? Wow!

August 16, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  4. TheTruthHurts

DUH!!!!

He's not from the MainStream Media (MSM). Most of your viewers could ask these questions if given the chance. That's why debates SUCK!

August 16, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  5. Marta K

Some of the questions being asked are too stupid ("Does evil exist?") for something as important as a Presidential debate. Have we really slipped so far as a country into imbecility that questions about evil become a real political topic? I knew our education system was slipping but geez, this is frightening!
    Furthermore, religion has no place in politics and people ned to remember that the original founding fathers never implied or stated that our government should be based on one faith. In fact, this country was founded by people who left Europe trying to escape that kind of oppression.

August 16, 2008 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  6. Dan, TX

pity CNN can never figure out politically astute questions when it hosts a debate...

August 16, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  7. Becky Miller

Who cares what Warren thinks? Who cares about these questions? Warren should just go write a book. I'm tired to religious pastors dabbling in politics. By doing so, it causes nothing but problems. Stick with preaching to your congregation. Perhaps these churches and pastors should be double taxed and then they'd stop with the nonsense.

August 16, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  8. Karen

I'd like to express my agreement with Mr. Schneider. I am for the most part completely turned off, if not horrified, by Christian evangelicalism and I expected Warren to be a total phony. I am very impressed by his smart questions and follow-ups - he's listening, and really trying to draw Obama out. Warren seems much fairer and smarter than the idiots from ABC News who attacked Obama during that final, infamous primary debate. So while I'm not joining his church anytime soon – thanks to Warren for a very rewarding conversation.

August 16, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  9. rayster

This is a welcome after the jerks out there trying to make a name for themselves on the back of a candidate. Candidate for pres. is the hardest job they will ever seek and they should be given some room for honest response

August 16, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  10. Sue

I agree the questions were good however he never used follow up questions. This unfortunately turned out to be a campaign stump for each candidate.

Nice try.

August 16, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  11. Linda Morris

Let's be real clear... this is NOT a debate about values as it relates to our faith in God... this is just another political forum with God as a spectator... still no room at the inn!

I'm totally disappointed in Rick Warren... He too used God and our faith in the Almighty to push an agenda other than God's.

So sad....

August 16, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  12. Michael Labbe

I see a great deal of religion in these questions, ranging from issues of stem cell research to faith based initiatives and their hiring practices. What I failed to hear from both candidates (when Rick Warren was without subtlety asking "what would you say to people who question our holding this in a church with me asking questions") was the name Thomas Jefferson, who was rolling in his grave during most of the questioning.

Religion has NO PLACE in politics. NONE.

August 16, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |