August 17th, 2008

Crowley: McCain on his greatest moral failing

LAKE FOREST, California (CNN) – Pretty compelling moment when John McCain was asked about his greatest moral failing and very quietly replied: "the failure of my first marriage." You could have heard a pin drop.

As an aside: McCain was put in a "cone of silence" while Barack Obama was on stage, because he was getting the same questions.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. first marriage

he is just saying that to deflate talk about his adulterous deed.

Did anyone notice that he is not talking about his faith at all?

August 16, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  2. Thomas Ray

Very shallow response for obvious unstated reason.

August 16, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  3. TOMMY BOZEMAN

I LOVE CANDY! She is the smartest woman in American politics! I would give anything to sit down and have a conversation with her one on one....I'll even cook dinner.

August 16, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  4. Arpit Dave

As a Democrat, I'm being absolutely blown away by John McCain right now. Clear, concise, and to the point.

I think he is marginalizing complicated issues, but man, he's so credible right now it's amazing.

August 16, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  5. CR

I thought he was reluctant to use his POW status. BS. This is total pandering. In addition, he threw in, at the end, "I prayed alot too!" Yeah sure.

He wants to follow Bin Laden to the gates of hell but not to Pakistan. What a fool. Americans are stupid to follow Mr. 894.

August 16, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  6. TheTruthHurts

He did fine and they respected him for it. He told the truth (at least based on what we know). Good for him. The question is has he learned? That's the question we need ot ask and answer.

August 16, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  7. Anonymous

The fact that the candidates had the questions ahead of time doesn't give us a sense of how they think without being prepped.

August 16, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  8. Ben

Does this guy ever answer question without mentioning the military? Every answer he gives ends up leading back to the military somehow. Someone needs to tell him that he is not running to become a member of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. There is more to the presidency than being a military commander. He is a trained soldier, he comes from a military family, and if he gets elected we will be in endless war. It is scary.

August 16, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  9. rayster

After Edwards and the poeple raising that point, he had to deal with it and show that it is there and won't go away so explain by himself and not some gossip reporter

August 16, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  10. women for obama

WHAT ABOUT THE FAILING OF HIS MARRIAGE....

August 16, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  11. LAVON K HUMMEL

they should put the cone of silent on Mccains Head, nice fit.

August 16, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  12. Tyler in Raleigh

I am glad he even remembers he was married... since he forgot about the lawsuits and other issues.

August 16, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  13. BBB

My questionf or you CNN, my fellow christian brothers and sisters, and the so called "value voters" is this: Why hasn't anyone asked this question: Why did John Mccain Divorced his wife and married Cindy? How did it happen, and where is the mother of John's 3 children. I mean if you really wanna talk character. I beg you to please read this article http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1024927/The-wife-John-McCain-callously-left-behind.html
    All I would say is if my father did to my mother what John Mccain did to his first wife before marrying 18yrs younger than him Cindy, I will still be in tears today. Please this article, then you will know the through Maverick John. Please Lord forgive us for we do not know what are doing.

August 16, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  14. mary

You say the that the questions were the same. I beg to differ, at least 2 questions were presented differently to Obama and McCain. What is that all about.

Did anyone else catch that they are not the same presentation of questions? Is the Rev. trying to make one look better?

August 16, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  15. RyanD.

Cute, McCain can give a stump speech.

He got through all the questions and more in 40 minutes.

Way to give "in-depth" answers, Mr. Soundbite.

Obama 08'

August 16, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  16. Victoria Brown

They maybe the same questions but they are worded differently and Rev. ??? is obviously biased in favor of McCain. McCain sounds like he knew the questions ahead of time.

Where can a voter go to find the truth? This is a travesty. I'm so disappointed in this show and in CNN and this Rev. ??? is an evangelical. They are one of the biggest McCain supporters.

McCain is giving stump speeches and if he says "my friends" one more time I'm going to throw my laptop through the TV. Someone should tell him that is annoying.

August 16, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  17. Upon Further Review

The fix is on,lets make all these mega churchs pay taxes NOW.

August 16, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  18. J Williamson

McCain used a vile word towards his current wife – which reporters overheard, and had that been Bill to Hillary even Martians would know about it. It appears McCain doesn't much like or appreciate women. Ask him about this!

August 16, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  19. linda

Oh you mean when he cheated on his first wife after she was disfigured in a car wreck. Funny he referenced Ronald Reagan later who wanted nothing to do with him because of the horrific way he treated her.

August 16, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  20. Annette

I enjoyed the debate/discussion. I thought McCain was arrogant and took over the debate. He rushed through the answers like an adolescent. It was hard for me to detect if this was a campaign speech or a discussion. McCain totally dominated rick Warren.
    It resembled the debate McCain had wit Mitt Romney. Mccain just does not have the temperament to be president,

August 16, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  21. Justin in CA

How about when he cheated on his wife?

August 16, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  22. robert

So the failure of McCain's first marriage was due to a moral failing on his part. He finally admitted what we all knew and suspect is still an issue regarding his morals.

Have you seen McCain offer up Cindy as a contestant on stage at a in a biker bikini girl contest? Look it up on youtube. This tool McCain will say anything to appease his current audience.

August 16, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  23. Sue Marie, MI

That's right. Spin, spin, spin, CNN. Make sure that you focus in on McCain's weakness. You need to do that because, unlike your political analysts, I would not say that Obama came across as thoughtful, subtle and nimble. Reminiscent of the debates Obama had with Clinton, it was not his finest hour. He looked nervous, stressed, shifty eyed and untrustworthy. He was not eloquent tonight; I have never heard a potential candidate for president stutter as much as he does. Obama does well as long as he doesn't need to be spontaneous. He can't handle questions. He does not inspire confidence. You need to start tearing down McCain because Obama failed tonight.

August 16, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  24. Farrell, Houston, Tx

McCain's failure in his first marriage was because he committed adultry, putting himself first. He double talks when he says he puts his country first, that's a lie. McCain did and always has put himself first.

August 16, 2008 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  25. Greg P.

I would have thought adultery would have been the honest answer. But Straight Talk ain't always what we get from a professional politician.

McCain was involved with another woman before his divorce was legally sanctioned. That is adultery. Surely McCain can appreciate the brevity of that definition.

August 16, 2008 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |