August 17th, 2008

Crowley: McCain was on his game

McCain won over the Saddleback crowd.
McCain won over the Saddleback crowd.

LAKE FOREST, California (CNN) - During a break, someone yelled: "We love you John." In fact, McCain was on his game, doing better than I thought he would, given that faith is not his most favorite subject to discuss in public. And in fact, it does seem that the crowd is greeting him every bit as warmly as they did Obama. (Although: as far as I can see, the two Obama supporters who told me they were forced to turn their t-shirts inside out left a while ago.)

Act Two is over - and McCain gets huge applause, and a standing ovation.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Clif, Ga.

Idiot! This was a Q and A conversation that allowed the audience to listen in. Didn't you notice that the paster was not looking at the audience to. McCain took it on himself to stump for votes with that same old retoric. As a matter of fact he left out some crucial points about his years in captivity. Torture is a bad thing to endure but we had many other poeple in captivity at that time who endured it without giving up their dads name for preferential treatment. He never talk about all the confessions he wrote about bombing countries killing innocent woman and children. These letters are documented with the war department. This man collaborated with the enemy.

August 17, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  2. Not This Time

McCain started answering some of the questions before Warren even got finished asking them. This tells me he knew the questions prior to the occasion and was briefed on how to answer them. Obama was straight from the heart and most sincere. That whole usage of brain power by McCain probably drained him of energy and he will probably sleep this entire weekend. He's straight up boring and if he calls me his friend one more time I'm gonna scream.

August 17, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  3. Lost (maybe) in CNN Moderation

Obama was intelligent, thoughtful, and answers the questions.

McCain was giving his stump speech and of course

war,war,war

August 17, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  4. A CANUCK

All Gramps McCain needed were his pipe and slippers while he told his old stories......agaaaaaaaaaaaain.

August 17, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  5. Billiam

Wait!! Isn't this the same group that gave us 8 years of George Bush?
    Do they really feel qualified to make political decisions?
    Talking about war to Christians is unChristian: "for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword." Matt.26:52
    John McCain favors tax breaks for the rich:
    "verily I say unto you, that a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.
    And again I say unto unto you. It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.
    Matt. 19:23-24.
    Church, you have gave to stop listening to false prophets. Haven't we suffered enough for listening to people like Pat Robinson.
    The bumper sticker had is right: 'The last time religion ran the world, It was called the Dark Ages'

August 17, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  6. Jon

Obama flopped and all you Obama lovers know it. That is why you are whineing about McCain's performance. Get used to it. Obama is done and the country is starting to wake up to reality. Shame... in a year that a Democrate should win the White House... They are going to lose by a land slide. Boo Hoo

August 17, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  7. James

Where are all the liberals? Sorry, we were out having real lives on a Saturday night. We don't live and breath this like you no life Elephants. Werd.

Obama 08

August 17, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  8. JAMES I.

It seems like the whining of those deceived by the lack of substance, maturity, or understanding of issues that emanated from Obama's answers continues to be the rallying cry from his supporters writing here. These supporters of Obama still groan about the same things that they were groaning about before the informational discussions with Warren were held.

Trust me when I tell you that Obama has been fed the questions that Warren asked on a daily basis as he runs around the country trying to seem like a president waiting to happen. I notice he fails to answer any better in the forum held last night than he does any other time.

Perhaps one of main reasons McCain can answer questions quickly, decisively and authoritatively is because he has certainly been around the block more than the novice celebrity opponent that is ignorantly trying to lead this country away from the Religious Values upon which it was founded. Tell those that think otherwise to read a bit about history and perhaps they can come to the understanding that religious persecution was the very cause of the Revolutionary War and the Constitution that followed.

Go McCain,
    James

August 17, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  9. Sue in MI

I wonder if that prison camp story is even true, or if it's another attempt to capitalize on his captivity (remember him reciting the the names of the Green Bay Packers, no the Steelers, no, the Yankees, to his captors?) I don't trust his memory at all, and it would not surprise me if some speech writer made this up just for the occasion. But I'm sure it will be repeated and repeated as proof of his Christian faith.
    Speaking of that, how can the man be so pro-life on one convenient hand, and yet not care a whit about the innocents in Iraq, Afghanistan, Darfur, as well as the American soldiers dying every day? And I bet he's conveniently pro-death penalty too, another obvious tenet of the Christian religion, at least the way the evangelicals write it up. HA!

August 17, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  10. Daniel Wagle

I have for awhile thought I would vote for Obama, but without enthusiasm. After this forum, I feel more excitement about voting for him. I LOVE HIllary and voted for her in the primary, but I don't love her enough to want McCain to win and cause much more damage just so she can run in 2012. There will certainly be some retirements of Supreme court justices, and one of the BEST, John Paul Stevens, McCain said he disliked. This Stevens will probably retire soon, that is BEFORE 2012, since he is very old and if McCain is president, he will be replaced by someone VERY conservative. Also, as a gay person, I am offended by how McCain panders to this Saddleback Evangelical audience by opposing gay marriage, by supporting anti-gay marriage amendments. Obama is much better on gay issues than McCain. Obama never has supported any anti-gay marriage amendments, even though he says he opposes gay marriage. I don't think he has to REALLY push for gay marriage since that may bring political suicide, but at least not be an impediment to it. I also don't like McCain's view on taxes- clearly it is Bush's tax cuts on the rich that have caused the great deficit we have. I would not raise taxes very much, but a couple percentage points on the rich, the same with the capital gains tax. This would generate a lot more revenue. Why not give tax CREDITS for hiring people, rather than tax CUTS that the rich can spend any way they want, including paying for foreign workers?

PLEASE PUMA, we cannot afford a conservative supreme court!!

August 17, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  11. Dr.W

Motivation: Be aware
    Is inportant to know that McCain is a long time a P.T.S.D.patient from VIETNAM and never treated or medically followed for his condition and it most be look into before November.The NATION consideretion are a RISK

August 17, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  12. MajorTom

I love how we can positive news about Obama on this site and all of it is unquestionably deserved. Then we hear something positive about McCain and it's because CNN is lacking objectivity, that the audience was stacked with McCain supporters, and because McCain answered the questions with what people wanted to hear.

I strongly recall Obama supporters calling Hillary supporters whiners when they pointed out biased reporting. Should the name "whiners" now apply to Obama supporters?

August 17, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  13. Miki B

What I witnessed is that Obama spoke to the forum with no prior knowledge of the questions to be asked. Not so with McCain though. It appears that he was briefed prior to his appearance. Some of his answers came out before the complete question was stated. As always, McCain is
    good only if there's a prompter.

August 17, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |