August 17th, 2008

Crowley: McCain was on his game

McCain won over the Saddleback crowd.
McCain won over the Saddleback crowd.

LAKE FOREST, California (CNN) - During a break, someone yelled: "We love you John." In fact, McCain was on his game, doing better than I thought he would, given that faith is not his most favorite subject to discuss in public. And in fact, it does seem that the crowd is greeting him every bit as warmly as they did Obama. (Although: as far as I can see, the two Obama supporters who told me they were forced to turn their t-shirts inside out left a while ago.)

Act Two is over - and McCain gets huge applause, and a standing ovation.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. jj

The candidates are both United States senators and should be addressed as such.

August 16, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  2. Margaret Bradley

I thought this was suppose to be a forum on faith. Sen. McCain used the event to mostly push his political views and expound on his experience as a POW. I thought Sen. Obama was very thoughtful in his responses. I, for one, think thoughtfulness in a President is critical. I don't know if Sen. McCain had the questions in advance, but he gave an audience pleasing performance.Sadly, In this day and age,performance trumps sustance.

August 16, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  3. Brad, California

The audience was tailor-made for McCain, and he failed miserably at answering one question that was put to him. He did talk about excess spending, but he never once mentioned the nearly trillion dollars that we have dumped nto the Iraqi toilet. And for the Americans who are stupid enough to make up their minds based on wedge issues such as abortion and gay rights, shame on you. The future of America is at stake and you concern yourselves with trivial garbage.

August 16, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  4. BJ in NC

By the way not only is McCain speaking above the current president, but he is also speaking above GOD. McCain does not have the weapons and moral fortitude to defeat evil. If he flips on the issues on this earth, what is he going to do to defeat evil? It was here before he was born and will be here after he is gone. The ultimate defeat of evil wwill be that of the Lords to destroy. Nice try McCain, but the only evil that you can destroy is that within your own temple and even that is a test every day. You need to guard that piece of flannel in your mouth.

August 16, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  5. Denise

I'd be on my game tonite too if I had the questions prior to attending. He gave himself away. This was suppose to be from the heart.

August 16, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  6. Julie

After listening to the program tonight I would be very nervous if John McCain were to be elected. His answers were short and to the point and very scary. I realize that he was speaking to a specific audience tonight and that his answers might resonate with some people but I don't want another president who will act first and worry about the consequences later. I've had enough of that over the last 7 years.

August 16, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  7. Sue

I believe McCain came across more genuine than Obama... He
    answered the questions with more clarity and experience. His personal experiences give us the knowledge of knowing he fully understands what serving is all about and not just giving platitudes.
    McCain could give quick clear answers because he knew exactly where he stood on the issues.

August 16, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  8. ray

Not once does McCain mention how God inpires him to help others.

Another four years of a self-centered Republican will end this country as we know it.

August 16, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  9. John McShame, Obama Is Going to Tax You & Cindy, but Not Me & 95% Americans Making < $250,000/Yr

Did anyone else notice when John McShame requested to talk more about the Supreme Court – when theoretically – he hadn't been asked any questions about them yet.
    What a farce?!
    this lying two-faced adulterer knew the questions before hand and used the forum to spout his rehearsed stump speeches!!!

August 16, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  10. Karen-phoenix

McCain was all war, war and more war. Obama clearly was a humanitarian and cared deeply about the poeple of America and world. McCain scared me because he also told way to many "war stories" and his greatest influence was a general. Obama would help rebuild the United States. McCain could not answer the last question about religious rights around the world and Obama answered it excellently. We lead by example and communication! I listened to David Gergeen and I do feel he was wrong. Obama was right on and I do not like all of McCain's little giggles and he almost looked like he was ready to explode and bang his hands on the table.

August 16, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  11. Brett

This time, Obama dont have any help... he is on his own without tiny "window tv" by his face... he has no idea how to answer quickly from his mind..

He is smooth "talker" without any "walker".

NOBAMA 08

August 16, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  12. EZ

I think that Obama looked much more presidential in his interaction with the pastor then McCain. Obama listened pastor carefully and responded while McCain made faces and joked around while talking about serious issues. What a contrast. United States needs an eloquent leader and not substandard = Bush and McCain.

August 16, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  13. Ilona Hussein Proud Canadian

Brian

McCain did not have to look up or even pay attention to the question,
    BECAUSE HE ALREADY KNEW WHAT THE QUESTION WOULD BE!

YOU FOLKS SHOULD TRY AGAIN! DO YOU REALIZE THAT WE ARE ON TO YOU? IT IS ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING THAT A MINISTER WOULD SINK SO LOW AS TO SKEW A QUESTION / ANSWER PERIOD, BUT I GUESS ALL IS FAIR IN ETHICS AND RELIGION!

August 16, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  14. judyo

McCain sounded just like George W. Bush. He shoots out answers without any purposeful thinking connected to his answers.

McCain needs to thoughtfully read, "The Purpose Driven Life."

I agree: McCain talked about war, other people, made jokes, and never directly answered a question.

August 16, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  15. Gloria Hershman

John McCain failed to answer the questions except for a short quip. He demonstrated no complex problem solving ability and relied heavily on his stump speech. Asking and answering his own questions to divert from the questioned asked along with another story. His leadership skills are scary. A vote for McCain is a return to 1960. Our poor international relationships will only be continued and exacerbated, unilateralism will triumph. Pastor Rick could not control the questions for him. That was too bad....

August 16, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  16. Margaret Bradley

I thought this was suppose to be a forum on faith. Sen. McCain used the event to mostly push his political views and expound on his experience as a POW. I thought Sen. Obama was very thoughtful in his responses. I, for one, think thoughtfulness in a President is critical. I don't know if Sen. McCain had the questions in advance, but he gave an audience pleasing performance.Sadly, In this day and age,performance trumps substance.

August 16, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  17. CB

The story on the cross being drown into the dirt was a T for trader.

August 16, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  18. Melanie

IMHO, McCain offered nothing but a stump speech to his supporters and probably lost a lot of ground with woman/ teachers/mod. dem and independents. His answers were rehearsed and not sincere and most people can see that. He is stuck in the vietnam era as shown with his constant reference to his POW years. He never answered several questions and talked around them. He has proven, once again, that he is unfit for the presidency. He has become a scary, scary man.

August 16, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  19. Pam

John McCain, once again, has shown that he has the experience and substance needed to be the next President. Obama is a nice guy. Nice guys finish last.

August 16, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  20. Vote Jack Cafferty "08"

Mccain talked about war war war war, thats all if I want to hear war stories, I would have called my grandfather, and anyway he knew the questions because they were asked to Obama first of course you can get your answers in line when someone before you are answering the same answers, anything you can do I can do better, I can answer questions better than you.

August 16, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  21. Karen - Canada

What guarantee do we have that Sen. McCain didin't have the questions to be asked beforehanded? If not... answering quickly doesn't not indicate that he is a better candidate rather that he is a person tends to make rush decisions that can have unfortunate consequences. Give me a thoughtful candidate anytime. The world is not black and white.

August 16, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  22. Cecil

Candy Crowley Two Thumbs Down.

Obaba )8

August 16, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  23. Cecil

Candy Crowley Two Thumbs Down.

Obama 08

August 16, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  24. Lizz

Rick Warren cautioned Obama about not using stomp speech answers, but not one time did he mention this to McCain. It was quite obvious that McCain was regurgitating memorized answers for areas of the questions. McCain's surrogates heard the questions the first time and somehow managed to signal the responses that sent him to recite parts of the stomp speeches. He looked into the audience more than respond to Rick Warren. Another question would be why did Warren change his mind about not giving them the same questions?

August 16, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  25. ry

and the oscar goes too... is there an award for lying and decieving the public on tv? because the Republicans wouldve have swept this the past couple of years.

August 16, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |