August 17th, 2008

Crowley: McCain was on his game

McCain won over the Saddleback crowd.
McCain won over the Saddleback crowd.

LAKE FOREST, California (CNN) - During a break, someone yelled: "We love you John." In fact, McCain was on his game, doing better than I thought he would, given that faith is not his most favorite subject to discuss in public. And in fact, it does seem that the crowd is greeting him every bit as warmly as they did Obama. (Although: as far as I can see, the two Obama supporters who told me they were forced to turn their t-shirts inside out left a while ago.)

Act Two is over - and McCain gets huge applause, and a standing ovation.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Razorback

I think this forum was good for Obama because it basically showed that nominating McCain will be another 4 years of the same terrible policies. But the sad thing is Obama's campaign is not doing a good job at it. MCCAIN=BUSH. That should be the number one thing on Obama's agenda. Show the true side of McCain. The only thing the old fart talked about where bedtime stories. WAKE ME UP WHEN IT'S OVER. All I could think about was what Gen. Clark said about McCain. Just because you're a war hero doesn't constitute you as President. I love the Family Guy episode that makes fun of McCain thinking that because he was a POW that he is entitled to the Oval Office.

August 16, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  2. Vincent Spaulding

Senator McCain sounded much the phony tonight. He's beginning to seem like a one-trick pony – his only succinct answers related to making war. How Christian he IS NOT!

August 16, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  3. winning them over

Why wasn't McCain asked why he considers himself a Baptist when he was never baptised?

Just my opinion but, I am weary of folks who claim to be Christian but have never truly committed to the faith. This actually applies to any religion.

August 16, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  4. Yvonne

War, war.
    Short is good.
    Me was POW.
    War.
    POW.
    Short.

Well, I guess now we know we face a third Bush term.

August 16, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  5. Bill

I think the most disgusting thing that has come of this election process is now we have to bow down to the religion to get elected, This smacks of the Taliban and any other theocracy. I'll accept their(religions) their relevance to the politcal process the same day they prove both god and men from outer space exist. I think they'll have a better time of proving the latter first. This country is getting to be a scary place. What's next every female in long dresses and men with beards and hats? Grow up America and throw off your superstitons!

August 16, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  6. Dwayne

Way to go John, you did outstanding. Barack has done nothing for this country, except saying he is all about change. What change? Obama is nothing but talk, and he is a smooth talker. He will not be elected as our next president. You blew it tonight Obama, The polls will start to show this in the upcoming weeks. McCain 08 our next president, a true leader.

August 16, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  7. Matt Wilson

They might as well had gotten McCain's campaign staff to host this event. Senator Obama did very well tonight considering this forum was taylor-made for John McCain. Hopefully this far-right audience will give Obama a serious look after speaking with them in their setting, and maybe FINALLY the uneducated will realize that Senator Obama is a Christian man from a Christian family and has NEVER been anything else.

August 16, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  8. Mike

John McCain, you did a great job! As a young person in college, I have no doubt that you are the right person at the right time to lead our country. You stand by your beliefs, and you always put your country before self interests. Tonight was a prime example. You are an inspiration for many and have my support!

August 16, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  9. Miguel Rivera

I totally don't see the hype about McCain. All I saw was typical stump speech from his townhalls word for word, and I did not get the sense that he opened up at all. Obama on the otherhand showed me more of a personal side of his that I haven't seen before on the campaign trail.

This forum wasn't supposed to be a debate about politics. McCain turned it into one.

Noticed how the Pastor said, "I don't want to hear stump speeching points?" Yet McCain just continued on stump speeching.

August 16, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  10. texas democrat

tonight mccain talked a lot about wars and his time in prison camp.. is there anything else important in his life? this guy really scares me with all this war talk. give peace a chance.

August 16, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  11. truth please

Too bad him and his war, war, war, bankrupt USA is not a game and it's not funny. vote for change.

August 16, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  12. Miguel Rivera

The only memeber of the CNN thing that got it right was Roland Martin. The other hosts looked like they were looking at a totally different program.

August 16, 2008 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  13. Typical White Person

Wow, there are a lot of people out there who think that a religious "litmus" test is bad but a "gay" litmus test is mandatory.

These are the same folks quoting the founding fathers. How mucked up is that?

August 16, 2008 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  14. I think I'm gonna barf

yep

August 16, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  15. mary

After tonight I will vote for Obama. McCain was making a campaign speech!

His fast answers were scary. He knew what he was going to say and nothing was going change his answers. We already have a president who acts before he thinks.

For someone who once said he did not like to talk about his years in
    Viet Nam, he sure talked about them. I learned nothing new. I know a man the same age as McCain and we hear the same old stories over and over just like McCain same old stories same old man. McCain is just to old to be president and tonight he proved it.

Give me a man who thinks before he acts or speaks and you will see a leader.

August 16, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  16. Do we know the real McCain

I lived in OC for a several years and divorce is common there. McCain did not say that like Edwards, he committed adultry. However, MccCain left his sick wife for the other woman with three children to raise. He did not say that Reagan took care of his first wife because he abandoned her for the rich beautiful Cindy. Every answer for him was War Based.

August 16, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  17. Canadian Visitor

An interesting discussion tonight.
    It is obvious by the comments above that if you are an Obama supporter you thought McCain was lousy. Since I can't vote for either, I thought they both did well showing two totally different styles but both were enjoyable to listen to and both were well received by the crowd. I liked the line best about – yes, yes, and find poor teaachers another job. It was to the point and so totally true.

August 16, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  18. jean yanzer

Regarding the Rick Warren Forum: I think McCain came across as a hawk; Obama, a dove came across as more like Jesus.

August 16, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  19. Sue B

McCain was articulate and answered all question while Obama dodge and answered at least one of them totally dishonestly. That one will come back to haunt him. One candidate sounded like book experience the other real world experience. Mc Cain won my family's vote tonight.

The job of POTUS is above Obama's pay grade.

August 16, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  20. Otogenarian

John MCain's statement about going to the gates of hell to get Bin Laden. A christian would not even speak rhis way.

August 16, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  21. Michele

It seemed to be a setup. JM seemed to know the questions before they were asked-Warren gave him all the extra Georgia time to showcase his war mongering credentials. & MSM praises JM–Pat Buchanan made me sick as usual.God is this a preview of the debates? I feel sick.

August 16, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  22. KenB, MI

Go Obama,

and

Mr. Phelps, Mission Impossible
    Lets GO red white and BLUE!

August 16, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  23. Ralph Peoria, Il

McCain looked good tonite. For a guy who stumbles all the rest of the time. It almost seemed as though he knew the questions beforehand.
    I think he aspires to be Commander in Chief, more than President.

If we elect this 10 star General "wanna-be" I guess we can count on plenty of flag draped coffins. War, War, War, that's all McCain is good for.

August 16, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  24. Stephen

the people on here that think a blog is an "article" or "news" need to learn the definition and point of a blog. This area is CNN's political BLOG!!!!

August 16, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  25. Flo

The crowd was strongly pro-Republican as are most evangelicals, so Obama walked right into a den of vipers. McCain is still a crazy old war-monger with a one-track mind. And those were supposed to be Christians?

August 16, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |