August 17th, 2008

Crowley: McCain was on his game

McCain won over the Saddleback crowd.
McCain won over the Saddleback crowd.

LAKE FOREST, California (CNN) - During a break, someone yelled: "We love you John." In fact, McCain was on his game, doing better than I thought he would, given that faith is not his most favorite subject to discuss in public. And in fact, it does seem that the crowd is greeting him every bit as warmly as they did Obama. (Although: as far as I can see, the two Obama supporters who told me they were forced to turn their t-shirts inside out left a while ago.)

Act Two is over - and McCain gets huge applause, and a standing ovation.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. witt

Wow...McCain takes B.O. to school and the 'bots are beside themselves.

August 16, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  2. Guess Who?????

I don't understand these people. It's doesn't matter how Obama does they still think he's great. Even Obama did uhhhh....ahhhhhhh uh uh ahhhhhh.... a lot more than words. O well they must understand each other language. The word wouldn’t understand his uh..uh.. ah.. uh.. uh Language if he get elected he must learn how to speak English or he has to hire one of his supporter to translate the uhhhhhh and ahhhhhh Language.

August 16, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  3. carol

I thought Obama come across as very down to earth like a friend. Bush and McCain are just alike, McCain want us to think he's not but He has been on Bushes side alot more than the peoples side. He also likes war more because thats all he know. All McCain done tonight was stump.

August 16, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  4. Brenda C

Great job McCain. It took Obama the whole hour to answer the questions, even though I still don't know what his answer was on most questions. He seemed to have two answers to each question. McCain was almost through with the answers in 15 minutes. It's easy to answer questions when you know what you really believe. You don't have to make things up as you go along.
    I find it refreshing to see people answer questions with a yes or no and not jump around until your confused.

Great Job McCain

August 16, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  5. tammy

I have a few points

1. MCaine was too prepared. Somebody briefed him with questions. Well rehearsed.
    2. Too much of War.. Not enough about his faith.
    3. He is too war happy... we need a methodical thinker before pressing the red button. Mccaine will have this country in all types of war.

I am pretty disappointed. Its clear to me that people are looking for a reason not to vote for Barack and looking for a reason to vote for McCaine. If we judge these candidates on their values on abortion and stem cells.. we are in trouble. The same trouble that we have had for the past 8 years. No jobs, high gas prices, family values going down the draine, poor schools etc.

Its ridicoulous.

Barack 08

August 16, 2008 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  6. shannon

What was McCain referring to when he said he wanted to talk about Rwanda later? I couldn't get the context. Was he confusing the genocide in Rwanda ten years ago with the current one in Sudan? If so, the media needs to get on top of this. He's running on wisdom and commanding authority, but he can't seem to get his geography straight.

August 16, 2008 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  7. James and Clara, Boston

One would expect Senator Obama to be able to answer questions more quickly and more clearly considering he went through 23 debates and forums in the primary election. He really does need to improve before he enters the first official debate with McCain.

McCain whom I have never intended to support, did a far more impressive job tonight and seemed to be much more informed than Obama. As a result, he sounded Presidential. Obama came across as young, sweet and unready.

August 16, 2008 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  8. Janet Stevenson

I thought I was the only one who noticed McCain answering the questions as if he already knew what Rick Warren was going to ask, and did he not give the exact same answers that Obama did as if he had already heard them??? Anyone else agree???

August 16, 2008 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  9. D

I can't stand McCain but at least we got some answers out of him tonight. Obama was absoltely terrible. 90% of his answers were uhhh, umm, aaaaa, welllll, ahhhh, ummm. Even while he's stuttering over those words he looks down at the desk as opposed to looking at the moderator.

He spent the week on vacation and did not prepare or rehearse. Do people even know who he is and what he stands for? After nearly 30 sort of debates...I still have no clue.

This guy has people behind him that have a bad agenda for America's future. Vote something in November..just don't vote Obama!

August 16, 2008 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  10. Kris K from CA

John mcCain repeated his stump speech and had no original thought.He looked angry and uncomfortable...
    Obama was real, thoughtful, and someone I could relate to in a meaningful way.
    I do not think McCain "won" the night. You have to represent ALL the citizens of the US and Obama is able and capable to doing that.
    McCain acted snotty and like you were wasting his time. Obama was great.

August 16, 2008 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  11. Kris a Dem from MCcain land

Grandpa MCcain and his war stories. I admire him. Not politically. No points for MCcain and his so called game. Sorry dude.

August 16, 2008 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  12. Ohio3

I think each candidate had different goals tonight. The format was quite interesting. Obama seemed thoughtful, more serious and much more pragmatic. HE may have bored many people, but if he had responsed like McCain, it would have been a turn off. McCain was a hoot - funny, decisive, but also seemed dogmatic and strident at times. He mainly told war stories and answered most questions throught the prism of war. That is very scary. The contrasting responses to evil were telling. McCain's facial expression and body language was telling as he launched into his response on Bin Ladin. Obama saw evil in many other ways.

August 16, 2008 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  13. Carol

I appreciate McCain's VietNam record, but that war is over. What about your family values, being proactive instead getting into a war. He answered questions so fast.
    McCain is like a very good grandpa that you love to sit in the den and hear him tell war stories. Being President of the United States.....I don't think so.

August 16, 2008 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  14. Monica, Texas

It would have been better if McCain could answer a question w/o bringing it back to w.a.r. every time. He still has me concern on his approach to resolving complex issues...He seems "hit first ask questions later..w/o knowing all the facts" this is scary. McCain was playing to his audience for sure.

August 16, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  15. john

Both candidates were strong, McCain probably won the night. I think he just solidified the evangelical vote. It will be intersesting to see if this transcends into the polls.

Obama handle himself very well. A little more verbose than McCain. One thing that I like about McCain is that his responses were very straight forward.

One of the better debates/formats I have ever seen.

August 16, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  16. Brian

"We made up our my mind tonight.
    John McCain was forthright, honest, and showed the moral standard that we like and should care about as a human being. His respect for unborn "human beings" touched our heart.
    Obama appeared humble, however is clever and a smooth talker who diverts from the facts. He needs another ten years to mature and we can find out "who" he really is.
    Janice J
    Denver, CO"

Its just the lack of respect Republicans have after birth that is a problem. If the are poor lets get them off welfare and by no means give them health insurance!

August 16, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  17. Michelle

McCain = McLeader

August 16, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  18. gail

sen mccain just repeated his stump speeches and taking points. and of course his vietnam story. he wasnt thoughtful – his answer on the supreme court was scary – the court should have some balance –
    also, mccain was pandering to the audience – someone should ask him – how can he be against abortion and for embryonic stem cell research? it is not consistent – if he is against abortion because he believes human life begins at conception how can he support scientific research on an embryo which he believes to be human?

no one ever asks mccain the follow up questions -

August 16, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  19. women for obama

when they were to talk about a personal moral failure, the crowd got quiet because they were waiting to hear how he cheated and dump his cripple wife or how he could allow his mother to sue her for some property when she was a one of the lowest points in her life. Instead, he shifted to his pre-arranged answers. How else could he answer the question before it was fully asked. What a shame....as far as being a prisoner of war, he wants more wars for our children to serve and fight in, unfornuately, our childrens fathers are not high ranking admirals to bail them out.

August 16, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  20. Nicolette

Tonight was a staged set-up for McCain. He said everything the conservatives wanted to hear. That crowd was for McCain. McCain is completely one sided and unreasonable. Obama is what this country needs, because these issues, they are gray areas. The whole country is not a country of just evangelicals, and McCain, as well as the evangelicals, NEED TO GET THAT THROUGH THEIR THICK SKULLS!

August 16, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  21. Denis, France

Hi everyone!
    I've watch the Forum on CNN here in France, I'm French and very interested by this election.
    I've got a question/ remark: Don't you think that McCain answers are only Utopy and that he doesn't give any clue to these answers?

Sorry for the english, hope you have understand what I'm asking you

August 16, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  22. Andrew in Alabama

McCain truly proved why he is getting my vote for President of the US since I cannot vote for Hillary.

August 16, 2008 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  23. Tom in Delaware

Pretty amazing that Obama left out Osama bin Laden when talking about evil, then goes on to mention what's happening in American cities?!?

I don't expect anybody to be perfect but that was a biggee. He fielded the 'Why do you want to be Miss America" question a lot better than he did with the 7-year od girl last week though.

All-inall I thought the format was fantastic, very fair, with un UN-partisan crowd. They really made both canidates feel welcome, and Pastor Warren's comments about resovling conflict is dead-on...something the name callers could benifit from.

August 16, 2008 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  24. Alan Boyer

I think the Republicans gave McCain an ear piece that allowed him to head Obama's interview.

August 16, 2008 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  25. Independant Thinker

Obama beat around the bush on way too many answers. He was too much a politician.

McCainm I thought answered the questions in a straight forward manner.

August 16, 2008 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |