August 17th, 2008

Crowley: McCain was on his game

McCain won over the Saddleback crowd.
McCain won over the Saddleback crowd.

LAKE FOREST, California (CNN) - During a break, someone yelled: "We love you John." In fact, McCain was on his game, doing better than I thought he would, given that faith is not his most favorite subject to discuss in public. And in fact, it does seem that the crowd is greeting him every bit as warmly as they did Obama. (Although: as far as I can see, the two Obama supporters who told me they were forced to turn their t-shirts inside out left a while ago.)

Act Two is over - and McCain gets huge applause, and a standing ovation.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. mike

I learned two things tonight about McCain.
    1) because he believes that life starts at conception, I need to file an amended tax return so that I can claim additional deductions for my kids starting from conception
    2) since he will chase bin Laden to the gates of hell, that might not be a bad place for him.

August 16, 2008 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  2. audacity

like some of the others, i, too, like them both a bit more now. but if only the negative ads would stop. let's hear about substantive issues from here on out.

August 16, 2008 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  3. CJ

Wrong Lou R. Senator McCain got a question that Senator Obama did not get because Sen. Obama rambled and stammered through his answers (time). Even Carl Cameron noted that Sen. Obama had been on a whirlwind. I question if he was tired, why he did not stop off in California and get some rest instead of flying to Chicago and then back. Poor judgement? I also resent that he called our young men in uniform KIDS. I would not dare call a Marine a kid, would you?

August 16, 2008 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  4. Tim

McCain did what he needed to do very well, pander to the religious right. But it seemed to me that Obama came across as much more Christian. Christianity is not about killing Osama or appointing right wing judges to the Court. Christianity is about being loving, doing justice, and about being humble, recognizing that we are not God, and that America is not the kingdom of God. Read the Gospels, Obama came across much more in line with what Jesus teaches there than McCain. Even if you consider only Christian doctrine, and not Christ, Obama's testimony was much more faithful to it than was McCain's, who, frankly, said next to nothing about his own personal faith.

August 16, 2008 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  5. rich

If you want to remember the past and hear nise old stories vote McCain. If you wnat ideas and solutions, vote Obama

August 16, 2008 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  6. Lonnie

Wow... the tide really turned in the election

go mccain!

August 16, 2008 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  7. aware

McCain has lived his faith and that was evident in his anecdotes.

Obama parsed his words and equivocated as usual!

McCain won this round big time, and Obama gained no new ground! :)

August 16, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  8. Rick

CNN's analysis was terrible. No discussion about the fact that there was no substance behind McCain's responses – just a bunch of war stories. I knew it was over after the first question: Who are the 3 wisest people you have known? Answer: 2 US military leaders in Iraq and the woman who created eBay!!!!!!!!! What? This is the man who, as President, needs to think on his feet? Was no one on the CNN panel listening? Or have they become like the average "Joe Sixpack Voter" – fall for the stories and miss the fact that they didn't tell us anything about his values. Ronald Reagan fooled people with his story telling. I've seeing a parallel of 2 elderly men who both end up with Alsheimers – while in office!!!!!!!

August 16, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  9. Laurie Velez

Sen. McCain may have been very swift in answering his questios but so was President Bush. How they answer is how they ACT. I wonder if the world wants another president that will not act with caution, but quick to act. On the issue of abortion, I wonder if Senetor McCain would have answered as quick as he did if would have had to make a choice to save his wif's life as my husband had to do for me due to my weakened heart. Extremes are bad so we need a President that is not to slow, or to quick but uses common sense, caution, and most of all be a man of God that will rely on the wisdom and direction God will give him.

August 16, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  10. DAISY FROM NY

Why Pastor Wright was not invited to this forum?

August 16, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  11. Cck in Washington State

I pray that other Christians will look at the responses in terms of which candidate really lives his faith–Barack Obama. He obviously listens to the bible verses in church; he knows that God expects humility of his followers; that He expects his followers to do their best, but recognize that God is the source and the power and the glory. Obama is far more respectful of others, is strong enough to be humble, and acknowledges that we must be soldiers in fighting evil, but it is God who will prevail.

Please, please, please do not elect another war monger!!!

August 16, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  12. arlene in Pa.

I listened carefully to both men and felt that both made some good points but I must say my vote is going to Obama because if McCain says "MY friends one more time, I'm going to puke!!!! I don't want to drink a beer with him or ever wonder if either one would change my tire as was asked in the 2004 election. I want someone with a brain. There isn't one in the White House now and most Americans wanted to have a beer with him so I'm going to use my brain and my vote and go with smart and vote for Obama!!!!

August 16, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  13. Wesley

Obama showed humility ! hahahaha What a joke. Obamas needs a teleprompter with him 24/7. He was like hu...ha.. in...but...

August 16, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  14. DR. YES

why did mccain answer the questions before they were asked?did they get the questions ahead of time?

August 16, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  15. Ll

I hope all the Hillary supporters who say they will vote for McCain watched this interview. You guys ready for war and to have your pro-choice freedom taken away?

August 16, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  16. Indy gal

I was very disappointed in McGain's answers. He was much more into telling the same old stories instead of answering the questions. There was no thought put into his answers. He seemed to be pandering to the audience and was too self-consumed.

August 16, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  17. Todd

Guess what, no one watched tonight, the country was watching Phelps win gold

August 16, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  18. lan1203

To say this was a set up or McCain was fed the questions before the forum is a lie.Pastor Warren has been seen by some in the traditional conservative circle as a little outside.He has broken tradition by making social issues such as poverty and AIDS a concern.Let's not forget that Obama was there two years ago for a World AIDS Day Summit.As McCain might say "this was no set up my friends".

August 16, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  19. GrandMa

obama is the winner

August 16, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  20. Cindy

McCain told a lot of war stories.

Obama's answers were more complicated. Like his answer about Evil.

I dunno if America wants complicated, maybe we just want to bomb, bomb, bomb evil... the end.

August 16, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  21. lila

"Did anybody else feel like mccain new the questions before they were asked?"

Yes, he sure did. I'm 100% sure turd blossom was behind it?
    I hope someone from CNN looks into it and bust McCain for it. Cheat ing on a form about faith. How low can you go.

In anycase, we now know McCain debate answers in a month. They will not be farf off. McCain has chosen to copy ronald reagan's debate style. Be funny and tell stories. If Obama did that the right wing would scream fluff and no substance. McCain acted like he was on the late show. He was a ham and played to the substance with prescripted answers.
    McCain did win the 'popular appeal' tonight. However, Obama had the deeper and more intelligent answers. Alas, the world loves a celebrity talk show and that is what McCain gave them.

August 16, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  22. bison

John McCain gave his stump speech. I thought this was suppose to be a conversation on faith. I have heard everything McCain said in a stump speech–and I heard him say it the exact same way. He was not thinking through any new ideas.

August 16, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  23. Tina Turner

I am watching the forum again on Faux News and Obama answered every question albeit he did not give canned one liners.

August 16, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  24. DR. YES

mccain was very presumptious.he kept saying 'my friends' over and over.does he always do that?it's kinda creepy.

August 16, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  25. diane stockdale

thanks, listening to the talking heads I thought I had seen another movie. Mccain was sickening with all the stories or lies.

August 16, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |