August 17th, 2008

Crowley: McCain was on his game

McCain won over the Saddleback crowd.
McCain won over the Saddleback crowd.

LAKE FOREST, California (CNN) - During a break, someone yelled: "We love you John." In fact, McCain was on his game, doing better than I thought he would, given that faith is not his most favorite subject to discuss in public. And in fact, it does seem that the crowd is greeting him every bit as warmly as they did Obama. (Although: as far as I can see, the two Obama supporters who told me they were forced to turn their t-shirts inside out left a while ago.)

Act Two is over - and McCain gets huge applause, and a standing ovation.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Independant Thinker

Terri in Fl

What have you been smoking????

Those same founding fathers that you mention were suspisious of state run religion, like it was in England at the time. You need to go back are reread the federalist papers again and see how they viewed religion and you will see that they built a lot of our original laws based on religious principals.

August 16, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  2. Jason

Mcbush makes me sick to watch, I thought there is a law separating church and state. I pray to a god, just not your peoples version of god. The bible was written by people who didn't even know Jesus, you people are nuts!

August 16, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  3. Nick

McCain was pretty weak, I thought. He just seemed to try to answer as quickly as he could so he could avoid getting caught up in an actual discussion. He just said the things that he knew would make the religious right audience scream. It was all pandering.

Obama, on the other hand, was eloquent, smart, funny, and everything else you would expect and desire for a leader of the USA. He answered every question honestly, and you could tell he was actually thinking about it.

OBAMA 08

August 16, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  4. Xavier

McCain told too many stories tonight. He came across as too preachy. Why is it that these religious rights people come across as being so judgmental? Didnt Jesus Christ say we shouldnt judge people? Isnt that the job that is reserved for him and his father in heaven?

August 16, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  5. Mike

There should be an age limit. Like oh 60 or 65,so you would
    have a chance of knowing what is going on in TODAYS world.
    That Geezer needs to geeze outta here.

August 16, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  6. Rosetta JKnox

McCain campaign for President and he never gave any thought to the questions. I still do not know how to connect with McCain. He answer before the questions was ask. How did he get the questions, did someone in his camp call him on the phone? Something is fishy

August 16, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  7. Jake, Buffalo NY

I am so glad that Senator McCain did so well in tonight's forum. This will hopefully be the begining of a victorious momentum that will bring the American people to see that John McCain is the right person for the Presidency over Barack Obama!

McCain 08!

August 16, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  8. GrandMa

McCain was answering the questions before the question was even asked. I wonder why? He is angry and ants war war war no more McBush

August 16, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  9. Mike

WHO THE HECK IS CROWLEY> Not too swift.

August 16, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  10. Slowpoke

I can't believe how biased this article is.

August 16, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  11. josh

john mccain was definatly on top of his game he was direct and to the point! i want a commander and chief who has war experience. because in this day and age with russia china iran and north korea we are coming up to some seriouse times and obama just doesnt have enough experience! and to the guy who made the comment about not having a major threat since the cold war he means on a nuclear leval the iraw wars and 9/11 never had the potental to end the world' a war with russia definatly has the potential to end the human civilization with nuclear war!

August 16, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  12. Doug

Wow, same old right wing politics, pandered to the religious right.
    Yes the same religious right , that helped bring the present Bush administration into exsistance. Well I guess we all know where that has taken us. Do we really need 4 more years of stale old war stories .
    Let us listen to the current war stories of the women and men that are still over in Iraq and around the world ,dying. McCain and the republican agenda, nothing christian about it ( war , greed, fear, and deceit ). Thank God, for Barack Obama for having new ideas and visions for this great country. The whole country, not just a specific group of people.

August 16, 2008 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  13. Upon Further Review

It will be a sad 4 years for Americans if this one issue,abortion turns an election. Iam prolife but not a Republican.For this evil party to win again will be the end of us all

August 16, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  14. Leroy

I thought Mr.McCain was very short with his answers. I hoped he would be more in dept with his answers like Mr.Obama! I believed Mr.Obama gave more personal answers and tried to give an clear picture of whom he is. I didnt like how Mr.Mcain explained everything with an story. I saw that as a way of getting around tha question. Can someone please tell me what Mr. McCain educational background is? Do he have an college degree?

August 16, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  15. aaron

I am a 21 year old undecided, well was, after tonight I know that I will vote McCain, I do not want a president who will look to his grandmother for advice on how to run my future and my country, McCain will make a great president, and I think he made a stern hint tonight about his VP pick.

August 16, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  16. Vigla

I will say this. McCain supporters are doing whatever they can on these blogs to make McSame seem like he won tonight.

I think considering the lion's den Obama walked into, he performed very well. Put McCain in front of, let's say, a group of homosexuals or TEACHERS, and we'll see how comfortable he is answering questions.

August 16, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  17. barry

Senator McCain clearly appeared the more presidential of the 2 candidates today..

August 16, 2008 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  18. DR. YES

anonymous?that's funny!

August 16, 2008 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  19. Crissy

I'm an Independent. I watched the entire thing with an open mind and at the end I firmly believed that Obama is the best candidate. He's smart and thoughtful and I agreed with everything he said. McCain came across as an old man who was nervous and kept bringing up war and his experience as a prisoner of war and very few of his answers actually answered the questions. I felt uncomfortable for him. I don't understand why anyone would think that he did well.

August 16, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  20. Marj,Paso Robles, Cal

Obama looked totally lost and clueless. If I hear him say 'uhh' one more time I will go insane.

August 16, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  21. Belle

Wow...

Why don't all of you that are either better than Obama, or better than McCain run for President?

August 16, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  22. The Iraq war IS legal

Yes, McCain got in some stories and campaign stumping, but he answered the questions like he was not afraid. Obama was scared to take a position, and never seemed to answer anything straight up.

August 16, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  23. checkpoint

Anonymous- you're very observant. I saw that too.
    McCain did not answer the questions about his faith but talked as if he was giving a stump speech.
    overall i give McCain a 98% while i give Obama a 95%. I definetly support Sen Obama.

August 16, 2008 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  24. annette

Candy, what are you all drinking? it was too obvious, that McSame knew all the questions, is someone going to look into this ?
    Any idiot could tell, that he had been prepped about what to say.
    Please CNN don't even try to tell any of us, that this was not a set up. Please go to Hufpo, bloggers on that site are all saying the same thig as I was thinking. Candy, you seem to think it was real cute, that McSame answered the questions before they where asked, case in point, duh

August 16, 2008 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |
  25. beth

Religion has no place in politics.

August 16, 2008 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |