August 17th, 2008

Crowley: McCain was on his game

McCain won over the Saddleback crowd.
McCain won over the Saddleback crowd.

LAKE FOREST, California (CNN) - During a break, someone yelled: "We love you John." In fact, McCain was on his game, doing better than I thought he would, given that faith is not his most favorite subject to discuss in public. And in fact, it does seem that the crowd is greeting him every bit as warmly as they did Obama. (Although: as far as I can see, the two Obama supporters who told me they were forced to turn their t-shirts inside out left a while ago.)

Act Two is over - and McCain gets huge applause, and a standing ovation.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Martha

Did anyone notice how quickly McCain dismissed the people of Darfur? I'll be interested to read the transcript.

McCain sees everything as cut-and-dried, just like Bush does. Isn't it time for an intelligent president?

Obama '08!

August 17, 2008 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  2. Michael Guinn, Port Hueneme, CA

McCain did well tonight- but his answers are too scripted and too party-line to be compelling. He did have short and snappy answers- but the problems discussed don't HAVE short & snappy answers...if they did- we wouldn't be in this mess! His rigid RoevWade stance is not compatible with most Americans- as is his view on the War in Iraq and Heath Care.

August 17, 2008 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  3. CNN IS A JOKE!

war war war war war war! who do I sound like?.. wow obama didn't have a chance with that crowd.. (looks around) I thought cali had some black and brown people there..???? I guess I was wrong!

August 17, 2008 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  4. Rajinder Goyal

In my comment above, the last line should read, 'He is not fond of boasting like McCain does.

August 17, 2008 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  5. Ron

What stood out for me was what a poor moderator Warren was.
    Warren looked nervous and fidgitty.
    Warren did not stop McCain from going off into tyraids or Obama
    from giving long drawn out answers. A moderators job is to moderate, he didn't.

I Think McCain pandered to the base on abortion and Obama gave answers that were to long and nuanced for the average voter.
    All in all, I don't think either candidate helped or hurt themselves.
    I'd call it a draw.

August 17, 2008 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  6. zeia

What I find interesting is that McCain did not say exactly what his moral failure was. Why was his first marriage a failure...tell the people John...lets see what those evan. folks would say if they knew why it really failed...They would castigate Bill C and the other John but you are guilty of similar!!!!!

August 17, 2008 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  7. Reality check #1

McCain was fantastic tonight. He looked and sounded very Presidential. I am now convinced....he's the man for the job.

August 17, 2008 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  8. Jorge

McCain has campaigned on the grounds that Obama lacks the experience to be President but he stated that Theodore Roosevelt is his idol and role model. Has he forgotten that TR was only 42 when he became POTUS, five years younger than Obama, and that his political experience was along much the same lines as Obama's, i.e. served in his state legislature and one term as governor of his state?

August 17, 2008 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  9. Liroudiane

The Audience was too noisy and applaused even McCain talk nuts! It was hard to reflect clearly on faith issues. This was a real campaign show for McCain and these Evangelicals are mere fans for McCain than truly spiritual worshipers! Most of them were only there to applaud!

August 17, 2008 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  10. Allwell

Which game? YOU know as well as I do that McCain has no game except his prison experiences,which has no direct bearing to what is at stake now.Candy you never stops to amuse me with your style.If it is in your power obama wiould have been out of this game long time ago,but thank God, you are only an opinion reporter, your views are shared by the minorities, and politics in democratic settings like this, is a game of numbers. You may wish to sit and play back some of your reportings during the Democratic primary contest. Good night

August 17, 2008 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  11. todd Bronson

Did MCain know the questions after Obama was asked? He answered them very quickly.

August 17, 2008 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  12. Barbara - 65 yr old white female in NC

Another stump speach with a few irrelevant questions thrown in by the reverend. McCain didn't even think before he answered – just pandered some more. I dont trust the man – he is dangerous.

August 17, 2008 12:07 am at 12:07 am |
  13. Valorie Jay - Raleigh

I thought both Obama and McCain did well. As I listened to Obama's answers, you could see him thinking and formulating his respone but McCain amost seemed to know the questions in advance and had his answers on the tip on his tongue. I hope my suspicions are wrong. The two syles were different and it made me realize they are indeed both good men but McCain came across as the past and Obama as the future.

August 17, 2008 12:08 am at 12:08 am |
  14. ricardo williams

This debate looked like a job interview. Very stupid and monotonous. John you didn't get the job because you pandering and didn't tell us what you are going to do to turn the economy around. You kept talking about Reagan and your POW experience.

August 17, 2008 12:08 am at 12:08 am |
  15. Sickening

Anyone else notice the political ticker has like ten straight posts about how McSame did tonight. Last time I heard there were two candidates up on the stage. Come on CNN if we wanted partisanship we would have watched Faux News! Very disappointing coverage!

August 17, 2008 12:09 am at 12:09 am |
  16. David Peter

McCain was most UNimpressive tonight

August 17, 2008 12:10 am at 12:10 am |
  17. Gloria

In my eyes, Obama was the clear winner tonight. He spoke from his heart while McCain's presentation was a continuation of his stump speeches. Most importantly, I hope that the disappointed Hillary supporters who threatened to vote for McCain were listening carefully. Do they really want McCain in the oval office after watching and listening to him tonight? He already knew what he was going to say and began answering some questions before they were even completely asked. Our country is made up of many persons of different faiths and persuasions. We need a president who is ready to listen attentively to each side of a story before taking a stance, and Obama is this person!

August 17, 2008 12:10 am at 12:10 am |
  18. adrian

I disagree as well. McCain told the crowd what they wanted to hear. short and sweet. Obama actually gave thoughtful answers which sometimes annoyed Rick Warren.

August 17, 2008 12:11 am at 12:11 am |
  19. paul b.

McCain was very strong. I'm historically not a McCain supporter, but I think he gained a whole lot of traction with the Evangelical community and values voters tonight. And Warren was the big surprise – he ran an extremely informative forum. A lot of his critics will have to eat their hats tomorrow.

Next up I see Dobson endorsing. Those who think this is the Obama moment, that he's inevitable, are going to be in for a big surprise. It's going to be a race, and Obama's weakness is going to be his staying power. Messiah's don't have the luxury of human failings.

August 17, 2008 12:11 am at 12:11 am |
  20. former democrat

McCain is a good man, Period !!!!

Obama is fake !!!

August 17, 2008 12:13 am at 12:13 am |
  21. Godlove

We are tired of this type of politics. Change is what we want. I don't care about the stupid questions that were asked. We need money in our pockets not stories how you survive in Vietnam.

August 17, 2008 12:13 am at 12:13 am |
  22. mary

I guess Obama missed his teleprompter and all his screaming fans that are still in Berlin.

August 17, 2008 12:14 am at 12:14 am |
  23. Jane

McCain did a campaign speech. He loves war and to talk about it.
    He has to bring up 9-11 and al-Queda to scare us. I am tired of his War stories. He should quit the Senate and go on the road with Oliver North.

August 17, 2008 12:15 am at 12:15 am |
  24. Clinton/McCain

McCain did extremely well tonight. He made Obama look like an amateur. I bet those superdelegates are wishing that picked Hillary.

August 17, 2008 12:16 am at 12:16 am |
  25. Robert Turner

If Obama has Hillary for the VP spot its all over for McCain .If not John wins in a landslide they know they cant beat a dream ticket.Obama& Hillary.

August 17, 2008 12:16 am at 12:16 am |