August 17th, 2008

Crowley: McCain was on his game

McCain won over the Saddleback crowd.
McCain won over the Saddleback crowd.

LAKE FOREST, California (CNN) - During a break, someone yelled: "We love you John." In fact, McCain was on his game, doing better than I thought he would, given that faith is not his most favorite subject to discuss in public. And in fact, it does seem that the crowd is greeting him every bit as warmly as they did Obama. (Although: as far as I can see, the two Obama supporters who told me they were forced to turn their t-shirts inside out left a while ago.)

Act Two is over - and McCain gets huge applause, and a standing ovation.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. pandering?

I guess McCain pandered his way through these questions by dominating them and not answering them but instead, telling another story. Story after story. ......Almost like if I tell story after story the clock will run out and would not have to actually speak with substance.

He was not making sense. I will give him credit for his energy, he was hyper and the mere mention of winning a war any war got him more excited!

August 17, 2008 12:31 am at 12:31 am |
  2. cheryl (RETIRED VETS FOR OBAMA)

McCain did know the answers and no one can convince me other wise, he was too quick to answer the questions before they were answered, what a crock..Obama should have admitted that life begins at conception......It does.

August 17, 2008 12:32 am at 12:32 am |
  3. jb

Did McCain’s Staff Get The Questions Before The Inteview?

This was clearly a FAKE interview! McCain never paused to consider the questions, because he already knew what questions would be asked! It was clear to me and to anyone that follows McCain that this was a staged event for McCain! How can a so called church participate in such LIE! Shame on you Saddleback Christian Church!

August 17, 2008 12:33 am at 12:33 am |
  4. Republican for Obama

McCain got a better reception because it was a republican crowd.....
    had it been at a college and the topics about youth you'd see the same for obama wouldnt you?

August 17, 2008 12:34 am at 12:34 am |
  5. Otogenarian

I think this Faith Forum was a joke. McCain clearly had the answers before hand. This is typical of dumbest; they must cheat to win! Shame on the so called Pastor!

August 17, 2008 12:35 am at 12:35 am |
  6. Brooklyn Girl

911wille

"uh, but, oh, well,ah, uh, yes but, ah uh, uhhhhh,

Boy Take away Obama's teleprompter and he's not very impressive"

This is was the funniest thing I've heard on this blog. However, you are right. Obama is terrible at speaking one on one. His answers always seem to come from his head and never his heart.

Thanks.

August 17, 2008 12:35 am at 12:35 am |
  7. James B. NYC

Did Obama purposely not dye his hair to expose more grey? conveying an older ,wiser image? It also seemed like he had an awful lot of makeup, this guy is to hollywood.

August 17, 2008 12:36 am at 12:36 am |
  8. Wisconsin

McCain had a lot of talk but lacked on details.

I keep hearing him talk about clean enegry, but where is it in his plan???

August 17, 2008 12:36 am at 12:36 am |
  9. pb

CNN, I see that you have all of the comments made by Schneider, and Crowly, ( "New In THe Ticker") but where are the comments that were made by Roland MArtin and Dana Bash? I did not see their headlines above. Oh, yes I forgot about your journalistic views...any positive comments about Obama are squashed!

August 17, 2008 12:36 am at 12:36 am |
  10. Marc PDX

It is a understatement to say McCain was greeted as warmly as Obama was. Obama was greeted warmly. McCain swept them off their feet. Watch the replay.

August 17, 2008 12:37 am at 12:37 am |
  11. Maureen in australia

As an outsider It appeared to me McCain pre-empted or knew
    the questions as he responded sometimes before the question was
    complete.

August 17, 2008 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  12. Candy Crowley for McCain's third wife 08'

i thought this was mccain's to lose, all obama had to do was try to give the best impression for the right wing of america...

August 17, 2008 12:39 am at 12:39 am |
  13. TJ Williams

Janice James...just curious....how many adopted kids do you have? How many times a week do you provide relief for a mother who was dissuaded from aborting a fetus she was not prepared to care for?

August 17, 2008 12:42 am at 12:42 am |
  14. Debra

McCain was in his own backyard tonight, Obama wasn't. No matter what Obama says, the conservatives want him to denounce abortion. This is America full of many different types of people, not just Evangelicans and Conservatives that are aginst abortion I think Obama did well considering the crowd.

August 17, 2008 12:42 am at 12:42 am |
  15. Brooke

McCain does well in these forums which is why Obama is going back on his promise to debate. Obama responded the way I knew he would, the man says whatever it takes to win over the audience in front of him. He is a sham.

August 17, 2008 12:44 am at 12:44 am |
  16. TJ Williams

CNN is no longer a "news" network. Now it's a cable 24-hour magazine show pushing for rating, ratings, ratings.

August 17, 2008 12:45 am at 12:45 am |
  17. Wisconsin

Candy Crowley Do you think you could be anymore BIAS!!!

At least pretend to be a journalist.

August 17, 2008 12:46 am at 12:46 am |
  18. caron

This was the best forum to showcase both candidates and how they really are. Barack appeared to really consider the questions that Rick asked and think about his answer. McCain seemed to know exactly what he wanted to say even before the question was asked. He seemed very on the hunt for a fight.

My husband and I think it's whether people are going to want McCain who seems to want to just want to go to war and protect America - and Obama who seems to want to determine if war is the best interest of America.

August 17, 2008 12:46 am at 12:46 am |
  19. jeremy

"My friends let me tell you a story on marriage marriage consists of one man and one woman, but i left one thing out that i cheated on that woman several times, with a pill popping fanatic. Even though she waited for me while i was over there being a POW, this is how i will repay her devotion. Also i am going to send us to World War 3. By the way did i end with "My Friends.

August 17, 2008 12:46 am at 12:46 am |
  20. Nicole H.

McCain seemed like he was rushing the answer and not getting into details. I did not like his answer about the rich. I dont agree with everthing Obama stands for but he seems willing to listen and make changes for all. McCain seems like he will do what he wants to do and cut off anyone who tries to stop him like he was doing to Rick Warren when he was asking those questions.

August 17, 2008 12:46 am at 12:46 am |
  21. John from Canada

I tend to agree that McCain seemed to know the questions before hand, he did start to answer some of them before the question was even finished! Which would make wnder how he could anser so quickly? Watergate???
    He also talked too much about his POW time and seemed to say lets have war over anything that I do not like.
    Not a very religoius person to me.

August 17, 2008 12:47 am at 12:47 am |
  22. rick

A reverend? I was waiting for him to ask mccain if we should return America back to it's christian standards, and after mc answered you're absolutely right........have Obama respond with, which standards...before or after we decimated the Indians?

August 17, 2008 12:47 am at 12:47 am |
  23. oldsoldierboy

I just want to know how many more times McCain is going to exploit General Petraeus and the troops for political gain. Idolizing Petraeus over his mom and dad was just pathetic. I also wonder if anyone actually oversaw the coin flip to decide who would go first.

August 17, 2008 12:49 am at 12:49 am |
  24. nelda

Seems as if McCain responded to the questions fairly briefly and then went off the topic 90% of the time. He didn't seem personal but rather like he was giving a campaign speech. He spoke rather "cold" as if he was conducting a reprimand on some level. Seemed odd to me.

August 17, 2008 12:49 am at 12:49 am |
  25. Phyllis

Obama also got a standing ovation. ....

Warren asked crowd to stand. Report the facts without your point of view, I do not care about what you think

August 17, 2008 12:50 am at 12:50 am |