August 17th, 2008

Crowley: McCain was on his game

McCain won over the Saddleback crowd.
McCain won over the Saddleback crowd.

LAKE FOREST, California (CNN) - During a break, someone yelled: "We love you John." In fact, McCain was on his game, doing better than I thought he would, given that faith is not his most favorite subject to discuss in public. And in fact, it does seem that the crowd is greeting him every bit as warmly as they did Obama. (Although: as far as I can see, the two Obama supporters who told me they were forced to turn their t-shirts inside out left a while ago.)

Act Two is over - and McCain gets huge applause, and a standing ovation.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. OLD MAN YELLS AT CLOUDS

Obama got his stand ovation too, but more because this was a forum suited more for McSame & yet Obama did just as well. Obama is certainly our next POTUS (whether CNN likes it or not & rarely, if ever prints my comments). Obama actually did better than McLiar!

August 17, 2008 01:18 am at 1:18 am |
  2. Lyn in TN

John McCain is 5'7" and Obama is 6'2" but they looked the same height standing on the stage with Rick Warren. Was McCain standing on a box?

August 17, 2008 01:18 am at 1:18 am |
  3. Reality Check

Typical liberals. Yeah . . . McCain must have had the questions in advance. Thats right. How about he just did better than your guy? Could that be it?

August 17, 2008 01:32 am at 1:32 am |
  4. LOU IN MINNESOTA

Mcsame knew the questions before hand.
    "OBAMA 08"

August 17, 2008 01:36 am at 1:36 am |
  5. LAVON K HUMMEL

TO: Anonymous, love your post tonight , I love the fact that Obama had the cub. frist, It is kind of like McCain kissing Obama, with out Barack having to kiss him back, sweet, Great spot on your part,

August 17, 2008 01:38 am at 1:38 am |
  6. Betty

I am really sick of hearing about the war stories McCain. Yes you were a prisoner of war. We get it. Now what about the things that effect us in this lifetime? Go tell your stories to the grandkids. We need someone with the ability to form a complete thought for our next President thank you.

August 17, 2008 01:41 am at 1:41 am |
  7. Independent from FL

I felt Obama was more like giving lectures about the questions while McCain was direct to the point.

August 17, 2008 01:46 am at 1:46 am |
  8. deroy

does that mean bari fumbled again.

were teleprompters allowed so axelrod could answer the questions?

August 17, 2008 01:48 am at 1:48 am |
  9. 'Bama for Obama

McCain was on his war game tonight. I was very sick and tired of him finding ways to add vietnam and prison camp to everything question that he answered tonight. He sounds like a broken record. An old 45 at that.

August 17, 2008 01:53 am at 1:53 am |
  10. Larry

The abortion question is above Obama's pay grade? What an answer! A typical polician's answer to get elected.

August 17, 2008 01:54 am at 1:54 am |
  11. Shirley-Ohio

Was he given the questions to study ahead of time? Just seem so fake to me. McCain is not took quick on his feet. Someone should investigate.

August 17, 2008 01:56 am at 1:56 am |
  12. Belvia Levkus

You got to be kidding me. You are all a bunch of complete freaking idiots. This man is a complete and utter moron. Obama 08

August 17, 2008 01:58 am at 1:58 am |
  13. Shirley-Ohio

McCain still has issues with the people who capature him and held him hostage. He will surely take us into another war. Did you hear him when he said he was going to get Bin Ladin. Bush said the same time about sadam.

August 17, 2008 02:00 am at 2:00 am |
  14. Nija

I hope you people understand what is happening. Look beyond what happened this night and you will be wise. This is a plan by the Evangelicals not to vote for Obama.

August 17, 2008 02:01 am at 2:01 am |
  15. chris

i'm Hillary supporter. i could not make up my mind till now ... John McCain is the right one for president though he is not perfect, though i do not like the Republican, though i never voted for Republican ... Hillary, WE NEED YOU ...

August 17, 2008 02:03 am at 2:03 am |
  16. Weepy

McCain was the STAR this time. He addressed each question, but not in the safe but trite manner as the other guy. After this opportunity to compare the two, McCain is my man!

August 17, 2008 02:06 am at 2:06 am |
  17. clarity

Hypocrisy at its finest. The evangelicals are willing to overlook John McCain's infidelity. He cheated on his first wife and the woman who helped him commit adultery stand proudly at his side.

John Edwards is getting grilled due to his more current infidelity but all you could hear was a pin drop when Mac spoke about his "failed" marriage. The marriage didn't fail, he failed his wife and no one should trust him standing at the helm of the American family.

August 17, 2008 02:07 am at 2:07 am |
  18. Baida

Was it my HD TV or was McCain wore too powdery thick makeup. I am just wondering.

August 17, 2008 02:08 am at 2:08 am |
  19. Ms Wright

@ open your eyes america

I thought it was just me!! I was thinking the same thing & I don't thimk that it was a coincidence that BO was the 1st to go.

Cnn you are so obviously Biased for John Mccain and now I feel Rick Warren is the same. It's such a shame!!

And in spite of it all, BO still did a good job...

August 17, 2008 02:08 am at 2:08 am |
  20. Renee

Mccain was awful talk only about the war. Obama was thoughtul and very humble and substances and answer the questions that he was ask. Mccain was looking for sympathy and was camping to much.

August 17, 2008 02:10 am at 2:10 am |
  21. John from LA

Come on now all you bots-your candidate can't answer a question-talks around and around-bye bye BO!!-can't wait for the debates-more empty, stump speech talk from BO

August 17, 2008 02:18 am at 2:18 am |
  22. Allison

My husband and I watched the entire forum together tonight, each of us basically disliking McCain before it began. After hearing both candidates speak, we were blown away by McCain-I am looking forward to voting for this man, someone who has clear convictions and a real solutions to serious problems, not just good ideas. The point he made about $700 billion going overseas for foreign oil each year was particularly eye-opening as to what he wants to do as our President.

August 17, 2008 02:18 am at 2:18 am |
  23. Mike

Obama just gave a stump speech the entire time while dancing around policy questions, the moderator even told him, answer the questions, we dont want a stump speech. Mccain was sharp as a tack, its starting to be apparent who the neophyte here is.

August 17, 2008 02:21 am at 2:21 am |
  24. Kimberly

John McCain dominated tonight. The only disappointment was after the forum when I heard trash coming out of Roland's mouth. We understand that you support him but have some self control.

August 17, 2008 02:24 am at 2:24 am |
  25. Vig

Obama is a bore to listen to with his "uhm, aaas, uhm" as he thinks of the answers. Cerebral, yes – presidential, no. We want Hillary.

August 17, 2008 02:29 am at 2:29 am |