August 17th, 2008

Crowley: McCain was on his game

McCain won over the Saddleback crowd.
McCain won over the Saddleback crowd.

LAKE FOREST, California (CNN) - During a break, someone yelled: "We love you John." In fact, McCain was on his game, doing better than I thought he would, given that faith is not his most favorite subject to discuss in public. And in fact, it does seem that the crowd is greeting him every bit as warmly as they did Obama. (Although: as far as I can see, the two Obama supporters who told me they were forced to turn their t-shirts inside out left a while ago.)

Act Two is over - and McCain gets huge applause, and a standing ovation.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. ricardo williams

I won't call sappy POW stories being on your game. I won't call a constant warmonger approach that repeats the George Bush policy and is even more hardline that is draining the economy being on your game. Why can't McCain hold a decent conversation without always shouting War?

August 17, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  2. Denise

Remember all of those post-election "JesusLand" maps we loved so much in 2004? How is that we (Democrats) have chosen a hyper-religious candidate of our own? Is that the only way we think we can win?

I just can't vote for someone who's against gay marriage. I'm staying home.

August 17, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  3. facts are facts

The fact is religious views should not play any part in how laws are legislated or countries conduct their domestic and foreign affairs. For one thing what religious view would you follow there are so many and they are so varied and for the most so ridiculously filled with bigotry and hate.

At some point in time people are going to have to deal with the fact their personal beliefs are simply their own and should not be forced onto other people as a matter of policy.

August 17, 2008 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  4. greenfun

McCain came across as an experienced leader, BO did not.

August 17, 2008 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  5. Phil Newton, Murphy, OREGON

Game is right.

McCain is a secualar corporatist. His lobbyist-built "values" image is just that: an image.

I would recommend to my fellow evangelicals that they not fall for an image. Graven or otherwise.

August 17, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  6. McCain=the draft

It's so obvious Rick Warren (like Crowley), is in the tank for McCain.

Warren asked Obama NOT to give his stump speech, but he allowed McCain to, the whole nite, and never said a word! I call foul!

McCain gave his stump speech, and once again, everything came back to war and the squeezing of his POW card!

Obama is a deep thinker and spoke his true inner feelings, something I don't think McCain is capable of doing.

I think the POW experience is why McCain has such a temper and may have PTSD. He's still mentally stuck in Vietnam.

August 17, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  7. Paula from Canada

Obama had just come off vacation and he was wonderful..speaking TO Pastor Rick not like McCain who did nothing but his usual same old same old stump speech.."My friends" and looking at the camaera not Pastor Rick..how rude. McCain came across as a tired old war veteran hungry for anyone and all of us to listen one more time to his tale of 30 plus years ago. It was boring to listen to his pandering and stump speaking was inappropriate. I still know NOTHING about his true convictions one way or another..

August 17, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  8. projectial barfing

Senator McCain will win this election.

August 17, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  9. Iowa Voter

I was very surprised by McCain. He was very personal, was relaxed and enjoyed himself. Obama was doing the same thing as always, , talking but not really saying anything. After watching these two I have decided on who I'm voting for. It will not be Obama, sorry folks. Go McCain 08.

August 17, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  10. kcmookie

Wow. That ws the most well prepared I have ever seen John McCain. He was really on his game.
    I only have one question, how can you be an otherwise incompetent, non-cohesive thinker the rest of the time and yet be so prepared for this moment.

It was almost as if he knew the questions before they were asked, so much so that he was answering some of them before they were finished being asked. People need to put aside their political and religious positions and look at last night openly. If you can see where it appeared that McCain was prepped and already knew the questions, ask yourself, is this what you want from your President? We learn about cheating on the playground, and it is equally as disgusting when someone is running for the highest office of the country. Shameful (and yet the politics of old). I will be voting for CHANGE.

August 17, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  11. Donna

McCain answered only two questions, not in depth. The failure of his first marriage was one response. However, he failed to say why. It is because he cheated on his wife. Clearly he received the questions in advanced. It's interesting that he went second probably so he can take some of Sen. Obama's responses and claim it as his own. Clearly, Sen. McCain played to his audience that clear were supporters of his. Just like Bush, he avoided the questions and focused on National Security and his status as a war hero. McCain has been in Politics for 26 years and hasn't been able to resolve the problems. He is part of the problem. Now he has all the solutions and answered to fix America. LOL. McCain CHEATED on his wife. Need I say more. If hewasn't honest and forthcoming in his marriage how do you think he would be as President? It speaks Volumes.

Not enough in my opinion to elect him President. Sen. Obama answered the questions and backed up his responses with details. He kind of won me over a little bit tonight. The next few months will be interesting.

August 17, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  12. NC Jan

I agree that McCain had advance information as to the questions...while answering about abortion he referenced as to when he was going to be asked about the Supreme Court...and that topic came later. As a christian, myself, I was impressed with Obama's response that when we do for the least, we are doing for Christ and he spoke of his christian faith as it guides him in the present whereas McCain spoke mainly as a reference to it 30+ years ago. On the quick supportive answer to the energy question, why has McCain voted "NO" the past 8 votes on energy measures? Lastly, I'll never ever be considered "rich" by McCain's definition - "5 million" (with a laugh)! What gives with that answer?!?

August 17, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  13. James From Chicago

McCain nailed it. Obama is not good without a teleprompter or
    his speech writers. Lets face it , he looked like a fool when he had
    to debate Clinton.

August 17, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  14. Tony

Did there really need to be like 1000 posts on this?

August 17, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  15. dimitri

everyone saw what a flake BHO is!!

August 17, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  16. James

McCain was excellent! He showed he has a great faith in God, know policy, answered questions precise and directly and didn't dodge anything! And he was very personal. HE shined. And at 1st I was just going to vote for him b/c I mad Hillary was not "chosen" by the DNC, but now I actually feel compelled to vote for him. He showed he is far more experienced. And for someone who claims to always reach across the aisle, Barack could only name that same old “Ethics Reform” bill; McCain name at least five pieces of legislation that he worked on with non-republicans. I REALLY enjoyed the "Straight Talk Express"!

August 17, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  17. chad

McCains answers were what the crowd wanted.
    when does life start? conception.
    define marrige. a man and woman.
    his only creative answer was to the question, who do you think is the wisest person you know? he answers, and without hesitation,
    "general petreus". way to appeal to the war mongers john.
    we learned nothing new about you. just confirmed your devotion
    to the party line. no real independent thought.

August 17, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  18. James

Also, I too nitceed how the audience rose right away for McCain when he was finished, where as with the Obama it toook them a minute to rise to thier feet.

August 17, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  19. Senior female

I am an independent and I watched the entire program last night. I heard nothing new from either one of them. Obama is still tentative and McCain is still anxious. We don't have much of a choice this time and that is a real shame since we really, really need a smart, experienced, multi tasker in the White House.

We did have a chance to get her elected but no, the guys from the left wing of the DNC shot her down in favor of a male......oh well, saying we told you so will certainly be bitter sweet.

August 17, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  20. Brian

McCain did an ok jobs being that he is 72 years old. But if he wants to be president he needs to be doing an unbelievable job and I haven't seen him perform to my really high standards yet. Obama has repeatedly done a spectacular job and given the way he runs his campaign he is more conservative that his voting record. Plus McCain's political plan hints at do whatever it takes to get in. I don't like that at all.

I agree with some of the comments saying that the questions were given in advance.

August 17, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  21. nancy

PRESIDENT MC CAIN – 100 YEARS IN IRAQ/IRAN.

GOT CHILDREN? GET THEM READY FOR THE DRAFT.

I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW STUPID – YES STUPID – SOME PEOPLE ARE IN AMERICA.

August 17, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  22. RayRay

My friends I promise you this. We will defeat evil with evil.

That's my take on McCain answer on how to defeat evil. He really has a bull mentality. Charge at it and run over it is his mode of thinking. It's like someone else who we have in office now ala Bush. McCain and Bush are so much alike sounding tough to the audience. It's because of the tough, go it alone attitude they have, we are in the mess with the Iraq war. We truly deserve what we get if McCain is elected. We have yet to see the worse of times if McCain is elected.

August 17, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  23. DesertDog

Calling this a debate is ludicrous. This was a religious forum! The president of the United States, must serve all of the people of the United States, not a select group, i.e. Evangelicals, Catholics, Jews, etc. It was very apparent that Rick Warren didn't like some of the answers that Obama gave.......read his body language....he visibly backed away from the table and the look on his face was one of censure.

I personally don't want a president who is not willing to live in the 21st century and feels it necessary to continually bring up his past WAR experiences. He seems to use his WAR experience as his resume for being the best choice for President. And don't give me rhetoric about his 25 years in government........I've lived in AZ for 34 years.....ask me how helpful he has been here!!!!!

August 17, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  24. DJ CO

Separation of church and state. Americans really need to embrace this and understand why it it is necessary. America's founding fathers fled other countries and worked hard to build this country on a premise that one woudn't be persecuted based on religious beliefs. These forums are baaaaaaaaaad news. As Ghandi said:

I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.

August 17, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  25. Terry

With all due respect to Mr. McCain and his horrible war time experiences, I was getting tired of hearing about them and not the answers to the question.

I came away last night with a few thougths,
    1. Women will no longer have control of their bodies.
    2. Shot first, ask second.
    3. Temper, temper temper
    4. Pandering.
    5. 8 more years of the Bush policies.
    I have to give McCain credit, he did do a great job answering his questions, sounded as if he had been feed the quesitioins before hand.

I have one last question, what happen to McCain's first marriage that it failed. McCain skirted by that issue rather fast.

American needs to move on to new ideas and not fall back 30 years. Vote for change.

I have decided to vote Barack Obama.

August 17, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |