August 17th, 2008

Crowley: McCain was on his game

McCain won over the Saddleback crowd.
McCain won over the Saddleback crowd.

LAKE FOREST, California (CNN) - During a break, someone yelled: "We love you John." In fact, McCain was on his game, doing better than I thought he would, given that faith is not his most favorite subject to discuss in public. And in fact, it does seem that the crowd is greeting him every bit as warmly as they did Obama. (Although: as far as I can see, the two Obama supporters who told me they were forced to turn their t-shirts inside out left a while ago.)

Act Two is over - and McCain gets huge applause, and a standing ovation.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Larry Buchas

Shooting from the hip and being uncivil during a civil forum does not put our country in a different light from the current administration.

McCain's constant frowns and obvious anger makes him a frightening possibility for the world to swallow.

His world views are those of a hateful warmonger.

August 16, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  2. DR. YES

mccain was all about himself.obama was about the country.

August 16, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  3. mb--texas

what game maybe saturday night live,jokes and then ask if he could be serious I thought this was a serious forum he should not have
    to ask for permission to be serious.Everything is a joke to this guy.
    cnn Candy is correct in McCain was on his game joking and dodging
    questions with stories.come on cnn be a little more forthcoming with
    your comments.

August 16, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  4. Janice Crowley

I think Mccain did a good job tonight. I'm not going to vote for him but he did a good job. I think Obama was more serious when answering the questions, Mccain joked allot. Mccain also went back to his ordinary stump lines and talked about what he wanted to talk about. I didn't get a good sense of how Mccain think or the process of his decision making. Mccain told allot of stories and talked about things we hear about everyday, Obama was more detailed and personal and I got a good sense of how he thinks and the process of his decision making. Obama 08

August 16, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  5. TheTruthHurts

Did great. Still would make a subpar president.

August 16, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  6. RyanD.

White, Orange county "born-again" voters who favored Bush over Kerry 60-40% and Clinton over Obama 55-38%?

Yeah, it was "his" crowd alright.

Obama 08'

August 16, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  7. BETTY SMITH

WOW, JOHN McCAIN DID A FANTASTIC JOB TONIGHT. IF AMERICANS DON'T SEE THE DIFFERENCE IN THESE TWO MEN, SOMETHING IS WRONG. JOHN McCAIN IS THE KIND OF MAN THAT SHOULD MAKE AMERICANS PLEASED TO CALL HIM OUR AMERICAN PRESIDENT. I BELIEVE THAT HIS FAITH IN GOD IS DEEP, HE HAS SUFFERED AT THE HANDS OF EVIL, HE SAID WHEN THE GUARD MADE THE CROSS IN THE SAND, TWO CHRISTIANS STOOD TOGETHER. HE HAD TO HAVE FAITH IN GOD TO LIVE THROUGH WHAT HE DID AND COME OUT THE MAN HE IS TODAY. YES, JOHN McCAIN IS THE MAN FOR PRESIDENT.

August 16, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  8. FV

McCain's shilling and dropping back into his pat answers and stories was shameful and shameless.
    The only impressive thing about his appearance tonight was his ability to memorize his own stories.... none of which illustrated his good judgement or established his ability to lead.

For anyone who actually graduated High School, Omaba OWNED McCain tonight.

August 16, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  9. Don

I hear saddle back in Orange County, which is as republican as

Alabama!!!!!!

August 16, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  10. Gaby

Candy Crowley,

To give a fair analysis during this session, both candidates should be heard completely, not just in the forum that was conducted prior to this analysis session. What's up?

August 16, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  11. Carol VanOrden

Actually, I thought Obama answered questions better. I think McCain was clearly scripted in many answers and wanted to draw as much attention as possible to his years as a POW (not that there's anything wrong with that!) Mccain really didn't answer questions but seemed to know exactly what he was told to say. and always brought something political into it. I thought Obama was less political and more personal in responses and I rather liked that.

I did like this exchange, though.

August 16, 2008 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  12. Amber Rodriguez

Okay so when is the faith forum at T.D. Jakes mega church going to happen?

August 16, 2008 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  13. Mark D

I tried posting more than a half dozen times with four different emails without success AND at least one post that did make it was removed.

August 16, 2008 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  14. Patrice

Mccain answered all his Qs with war and his war stories... He wasn't straight forward with his answer. Like the qs about what he considered to be rich, "5 million" ..... his answers were short and didn't have much substance to it. And of course Mccain got a bigger applause like at the people in the audience.

August 16, 2008 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  15. gw

Crowley, go back and listen to the questions. McCain did not answer them. He told stories and jokes! Get on your game as a journalist and listen to the questions and answers.
    You don't have to believe me go back and listen.

August 16, 2008 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  16. Hasan

Is CNN on McCain's 27 million dollar July Payroll? McCain looks like another Bush who is now considered the worst president in US history. Do we really want 4 more years of the old?

August 16, 2008 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  17. Rob Kirk

America has lost its way. Our forefathers had a reason for church-state separation and we have tossed it to the wind. There are 30+ million non-theists in this country, doctors, scientists, carpenters, teachers, etc. who live moral and fulfilled lives without believing in a supernatural being. This nation is slowly being obsessed by the supernatural and all the negative things that go with believing in an illusion. Remember Jefferson's wise words "Faith is no substitute for reason". We are on the road to becoming blind to reason. It will come back to haunt us.

August 16, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  18. Glen

And the usual response by the Obama groupies – tired and boring. Get a life or at least become interesting

August 16, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  19. Gaby

Reply to Janice and Terri, thank you for your honest responses.

August 16, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  20. RyanD.

Nice stump speech, McCane.

Obama 08' – The Intelligent, Thoughtful, REAL Christian for President.

August 16, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  21. Why do you never post my comments?

That's right. Spin, spin, spin, Obama supporters; you need to tonight.

I would not say that Obama came across as thoughtful, subtle and nimble. Reminiscent of the debates Obama had with Clinton, it was not his finest hour. He looked nervous, stressed, shifty eyed and untrustworthy. He was not eloquent tonight; I have never heard a potential candidate for president stutter as much as he does. Obama does well as long as he doesn't need to be spontaneous. He can't handle questions. He does not inspire confidence. You need to start tearing down McCain because Obama failed tonight.

August 16, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  22. Gale

Has anyone noticed that Barack Obama can freely talk about Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior and that John McCain has not once mentioned Jesus Christ? He quickly gets away from the subject and begins to tell his cross in the sand story.

August 16, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  23. BKoi

Shall I say about Mccain, rehearsed ! rehearsed ! rehearsed ! Same old war stories. Poor me poor me, give me a break! Military, war, join the military, serve your country. The guy was totally practiced. He kept giving the same speech he gave on the campaign trail, and the pastor kept letting him! I think actions speak louder than words. This man dropped bombs on thousands of innocent human beings , some of them the unborn!!!!! Now he has the audacity to sit there, pandering for votes, saying that he is against abortion. He killed people, babies, my friends!!!I didn't believe a thing he said, it was just more rhetoric!

August 16, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  24. Justin in CA

I thought McCain had no substance in his answers and was just getting in line with his new base.

Obama had much more intelligent answers that had something to do with the world we are living in today, not 30 years ago. Obama was the clear winner to me.

August 16, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  25. Patrice

he did seem scary and angry.. bc everything that was on his mind was about WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

August 16, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |