August 17th, 2008

Crowley: McCain was on his game

McCain won over the Saddleback crowd.
McCain won over the Saddleback crowd.

LAKE FOREST, California (CNN) - During a break, someone yelled: "We love you John." In fact, McCain was on his game, doing better than I thought he would, given that faith is not his most favorite subject to discuss in public. And in fact, it does seem that the crowd is greeting him every bit as warmly as they did Obama. (Although: as far as I can see, the two Obama supporters who told me they were forced to turn their t-shirts inside out left a while ago.)

Act Two is over - and McCain gets huge applause, and a standing ovation.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Copperfield

McCain had the audience and the questions, despite whatever "silent cone" he was supposed to be in...

August 16, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  2. Linda Reynolds

Was it fair that John McCain got to sit backstage and not only hear the questions but also Barack Obama's answers in advance with commercial break time to prepare answers?

August 16, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  3. Julie

McCain didn't answer the questions!!! Typical politician!

August 16, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  4. Kevin

McCain was on his game all right, he talked for 45 seconds about the terrible genocide happening in Rawanda involving Darfur. The foreign policy "expert" does not seem to understand that the Rawandan genocide occurred in 1994 and the genocide today is taking place in the Sudan. This man scares me so much...but you are right, he was just so "on his game." Do people even listen to what candidates say? Apparently the correspondents don't.

August 16, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  5. jimmy

I thought it was interesting how obama got ticked off in his after interview with the cnn reporter when he was asked about voting to starve partial birth abortion survivors to death...

He voted for it and now he denys it

he voted for drivers licenses for illegal aliens

he voted for a lot of stuff and this is his only record
    He doesnt have a big history of votes like mccain has yet obama wants us to believe he has the experience .....

then you ask him about his votes and he ends an interview just about ripping off his mic.

August 16, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  6. VOICE OF REASON

ITS A WELL KNOW AND MUCH POOPOOED AWAY FACT THAT OBAMA ISNT WORTH ANYTHING UNSCRIPTED. ITS SO REFRESHING TO SEE SOMEONE WHO CAN HANDLE HERE AND NOW. REALITY IS NOW NOT IN TWO DAYS FROM NOW ON CAMERA. NEAT TO FIND OUT HIS MESSIANIC SPEECHES COME FRON SOME DNC PENCIL NECK AND NOT THE THRONE. OBAMA IS LIKE THE OLYMPICS IN CHINA........A BIG SCHARADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JERK THE CURTAIN BACK AND THERE IS AN INEPT LITTLE MAN PULLING THE LEVERS PRETENDING TO BE THE GREAT TERRIBLE OZ (NO NOT HOWARD DEAN). DONT BLAME ME IF THE COMPARISON IS SO DEAD ON.

August 16, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  7. Realist

While I think both candidates responded well to Rick Warren's quetsions, McCain's constant references to the military as the solution were a bit scary.

Now our next military campaign is against evil? First look at the evil present within our own country before you send our troops to every dark corner of the globe.

August 16, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  8. Marci Kulberg

I'm sorry, but all of the so called pundits are saying McCain did such a great job, but to me, Obama was more genuine and actually answered the questions that were asked. McCain reminded of college applicants writing one great essay and finding a way to make it work for the very different questions on several college applications He tells the same POW story over and over and somehow tailors it to every question. To me that isn't really answering the pertinent questions of today and solving the problems that Americans are facing. It's all "smoke and mirrors."

August 16, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  9. Kay Phillips

I'm sorry, I did not feel that all of John McCain's "stories" about being captured were the answer to the questions that were asked of him!! And I don't think that his telling about his trials gains him sympathy is correct as far as I am concerned!! When someone asks about your faith and what it means to you–I don't expect an account of being in Vietnam.

August 16, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  10. Nancy Hagan

I just listen to the Evangelical Christian Right between Senator Obama and McCain. I find it very strange that McCain new the answers and question before they were asked. How did he know about the justice question before it was asked this is what he said " I want to answer the question about the Supreme Court justice or go back to it , if it has been asked. That question had not been asked at this point. I find this very strange. I hope more people caught this, I see the political analysis didn't.

Nancy Hagan
    New Albany, Ohio

August 16, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  11. wow

McCain was on his game because he appeared to already know what he was going to be asked,... McCain has never been "quick on his feet" especially knowing what he was talking about./ I smell a "rat"......

August 16, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  12. Jerry R Lucas RN

I felt that MCcain was very good tonight he was not looking for answer as was Obama. I had not made any choice and I am still up in the air but, MCcain has done very well tonight for me.
    There will be some that say he got soft questions and did not talk about faith but, I heard he to the ponit and right on with is answers not look for them or dancing around the subject so when does life start he did not stop his answer for the polls.

August 16, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  13. Laura

John McCain was very impressive in all his answers tonight.

Obama shows that he should have taken John McCain up on doing some town hall meetings. It really shows that he didn't have his teleprompter.

He used word whiskers (uh, well, but, uhh). He also didn't look at his audience. He appeared very uncomfortable.

August 16, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  14. Heartlight 3, Maui, HI

I don't think it is all that important when Obama thinks life begins. I liked the fact that he acknowledged that everyone has a different opinion on that and he didn't presume to know what the answer is, but that he was interested in working out a solution that builds on the common ground of the issue. The idea is to reduce abortions. Trying to make people who don't agree with you do what you want has not been demonstrated to provide a solution.

August 16, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  15. Diamond

One candidate came to talk candidly about faith, the other came to campaign for votes.

McCain said ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about faith.

August 16, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  16. cindy

How is Mccain on his game when he didn't answer question and he does is tell story about himself and campaign. This forum is a load of crap. When Mccain couldn't even admit he cheated on his wife. Bravo!

August 16, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  17. KENT in NC

I do not think McCain did much to address faith issues. I think he spent more time telling stories to garner sympathy which would get him votes.

August 16, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  18. WeLuvObama

I felt John McCain did a good job, but also did Obama. John talked more about his campaign stances than he did than answering the questions. I knew he was going to play on the people's emotion with his prisoner of war story. I will still vote for Obama because John McCain and the republicans are wrong for the United States.

August 16, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  19. Otogenarian

John McCain appeared to have known the answers before hand.He did not answer the questions asked but told stories to get sympahty. He asked questions before they were asked. Everytime he spoke , he talked about his experience as a POW. He did not expound on his religious beliefs. He continually talked about others like Reagan and what others did. What would he do? Noone still knows whether he is a christian or not.

August 16, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  20. JB in Florida

McCain was on his game tonight. The Democrat pundits and posters on this forum are at a loss. McCain was supposed to be incoherent , could not speak without a teleprompter - I guess he can, The debates will be interesting. McCain is going to be competitive.

August 16, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  21. Leah DiMarco, Texas

It was obvious that McCain knew what the questions were going to be. He even asked the pastor if they were going to get to the 'judge' question later.
    It was rigged!!!!

August 16, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  22. Cathy

When Obama was on stage, I felt like he was having a true conversation with Warren. Obama is just so personable and I could talk to him all day.

In regards to McCain, I think McCain did a good job and had some really good stories. I felt Warren was only there to ask the question and then McCain ignored him and started to campaign.

Obama and McCain had completely different approaches and presentation. I continually feel more connected to Obama and how he presents himself at a man and as our next President of The United States.

August 16, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  23. blue

first of all Mccain did not talk about faith. All of his answers were related to WAR WAR WAR. His answers where short and he did not take the time to answer them. When his answers where long it was all about war war war war war. It was more like a war commercial and his war stories. No substance.

But, what can i expect from a man that is obsessed with war.

You guys call yourselves analysis forum give me a break. Most trusted news give me a break.!

Keep this Mccain man away from the White House, because our troops will never come home.

By the way, why did Mccain answer the questions even before the guy was finished????

August 16, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  24. Wendy

McCain was clearly coached before hand. Many question he didn't answer directly. He acted as if he were giving campaign speeches. Obama was more thoughtful with his answers. Senator Obama did a better job tonight.

August 16, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  25. Jim

People were charged a minimum of $100 each

Some people paid $200,000 for their ticket. Of course they are going to support the candidate that is most beneficial for them.

Too bad Warren did not ask about how McCain voted in regard to Matthew 25.

Bush's United Methodist Church told him not to invade Iraq because it was an unjust war against the teachings of Christ.

Top leaders of Bush's church have asked for his impeachment. That is standing up to evil.

August 16, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |